Horizons Help with finding a planetary POI?

I'm trying to find an alien crash site for some broken alien scanner data. That, and I've never seen a crashed thargoid and I've heard the atmospherics are nice.

I'm at HIP 17403 A 4 A. There is a POI on my navigation list called 'Discovered Crash Site' about 11Mm above the surface of the planet. Exiting supercruise at the POI is a bunch of nothing (as expected). So, I'm guessing that the POI is broken because I've been to Guardian sites and the POI's lead me down just fine. Some google-fu reveals that this POI has been broken since the crash site going live in 2017, and it was reported on the forums. Apparently still, it's not fixxed.

So, more google-fu and I have Lat/Long coords. I enter orbital mode and I start trying to head in the 'right direction'. Once I get my Lat about right, I try to stop to get the Long right to find that I cant stop. I'm stuck going way to fast to attempt a 90 degree turn. Now I struggle to get back to where I was. No landmarks. No compass. This is really hard.

Does anyone know where a 'Goid crash site is with a working POI? [hotas]

I'm trying to find an alien crash site for some broken alien scanner data. That, and I've never seen a crashed thargoid and I've heard the atmospherics are nice.

I'm at HIP 17403 A 4 A. There is a POI on my navigation list called 'Discovered Crash Site' about 11Mm above the surface of the planet. Exiting supercruise at the POI is a bunch of nothing (as expected). So, I'm guessing that the POI is broken because I've been to Guardian sites and the POI's lead me down just fine. Some google-fu reveals that this POI has been broken since the crash site going live in 2017, and it was reported on the forums. Apparently still, it's not fixxed.

So, more google-fu and I have Lat/Long coords. I enter orbital mode and I start trying to head in the 'right direction'. Once I get my Lat about right, I try to stop to get the Long right to find that I cant stop. I'm stuck going way to fast to attempt a 90 degree turn. Now I struggle to get back to where I was. No landmarks. No compass. This is really hard.

Does anyone know where a 'Goid crash site is with a working POI? [hotas]

You have a compass at the top of your HUD, dead center, as soon as you get down below orbital cruise. Use that to work out your heading.

You have a compass at the top of your HUD, dead center, as soon as you get down below orbital cruise. Use that to work out your heading.

That makes sense. I saw it but didn't know what it was.
Do you know if anyone's modded it to be N E S W instead of 0-360 markings? I'm a simple person.

The trick is to enter orbital cruise and then drop your throttle. Then level out. It’s easier to work on just latitude or just longitude, get that one close. Then do the other. You have to estimate when to head for the surface. Once you’re down you can then travel the rest of the way.

If you’re on PC you can use the Edison tool which works great.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...surface-navigation-Waypoints?highlight=edison

Hi,

Try this tool :-

http://hotdoy.ca/edbearing

Hopefully that will help.

Thanks. I'll bookmark those for next time. :)

Back when I started, the compass headings didn’t show in Orbital Cruise at all. You had to drop out to see it! Now that was a challenge :)

Back
Top Bottom