Help with outfitting Corvette

Hello Commanders,

I struggle to find some nice PvE setup for my Corvette, mostly weapons so I would like to ask you all for help. Yes I went through similar posts as usuall but if nothing else, game changes update to update.
Why don't you just go around and try all different modifications? Too time consuming, not that much materials lately too to throw them around mindlessly.

What I struggle with:
1. Ammo - I don't want to go for rearm much/at all. I like rails in C1 slots but ammo is gone in no time and synthesis...I would reather save materials instead of constant reloading. There are plasma slugs, might be good option, but that means no cascade and less damage. Also how exactly rails work when it comes to penetrating armor, hiting all modules along trajectory. Seems like I cant figure out, with no modules targeted NPC shows after some hits all modules at 100%, so its small chance or what? Or is just C1 (sturdy for piercing) too weak?

2. NPC runs away - currently im chasing/killing pirates (missions). They run away all the time, I put all in engines and rest to guns, boost to follow emptying all I have in effort to finish them and bang, they wake away. Any way how to stop those pesky pirates from doing so? I hope for mass lock. Also I noticed that they run away with 0% power plant, fly with 0% drives, not sure but I would say they wake with 0% fsd? Im returning player, I was used to play "cat and mice" with NPCs, slowly disabling them, its not a thing anymore?

3. What to put in those C4 slots? - Struggle to find something nice. Of course I put there 2 gimbaled Cannons with High Yeld in effort to penetrate armor, in dream of two shells appering inside enemy ship exploding tering it appart from inside. I recall it was quite fun but now it seems its not working anymore or not that much? Again probably this penetrating is changed, I even went for Sturdy to get more Armor piercing.

Simply goal is to create something which can stay in the field as I hate traveling while it has some entertaining options too. More entertaining that laser doing bzzz or rail always without ammo.

What is yours setup if any? Thanks for ideas :)

Currently I have 2x C1 rails, 2x C2 Beam Turrets, 1x C3 Beam Turret (long range, for comfort, I kinda like ship fighting on its own also its not most agile around) and for fun those C4 Cannons but that's probably biggest fail after those turrets.

Added: What about Point defenses or such? Have 1 in front top 2nd on back bottom to cover area a bit.

Last edited:
Whatever else you fit, one of your smalls should be a gimballed MC, high capacity/corrosive.
Will make all your other weapons much more effective, cheap synthesis cost to reload too.

Other weapons I have twin huge beams, rest are pulses.

1) two fixed efficient huge thermal vent beams, two c2 long range pulse turrets, one high cap corrosive c3 turret or gimbal mulicannon and two long range c1 feedback rails. Use the rails only when the enemy is banking (or skip them because you have two huge beams to deal with banks)
Alternatively a long range c3 pulse turret and two high cap c1 multiturrets.

2) subtarget the enemy's FSD, your beams will microgimbal on the subtarget and fry the FSD in no time

3) see 1)

I'm a big fan of fixed huge efficient beams.

Can also put plasma slug LR rails in the smalls of a PvE setup to add some extra DPS when needed and punch holes in ships that run without having to worry about conserving ammo (a 32 ton tank is a lot of plasma slug shots).

Rest of the hardpoints can be whatever you like, though a high cap corrosive MC will go a long way against hulls.

I recall it was quite fun but now it seems its not working anymore or not that much? Again probably this penetrating is changed, I even went for Sturdy to get more Armor piercing.

They significantly reduced the damage of high-yield shell, but penetration value, depth, and chance appear unchanged.

Sturdy won't help huge cannon, as they already have sufficient APV to do full damage to virtually any hull.

Last edited:
Two huge rapid fire MCs with corrosive shell, the rest shard cannons, except the large, which is an incendiary Pacifier. That's what I'm planning once I get there.

Nice thanks a lot for inspiration.
I have to try those big beams for sure, goal is to add something monstrous there this might be it.
Corrosive that's something to add too for sure.
Pulses...I guess its because of power?

@Morbad I know vaguely that dmg is something like AP - Armor hardness, could find it exactly but I was hoping for some dmg above 100% if AP is much bigger number or for bigger chance to shot through armor something like to get bigger chance for Super Penetrator if that's understable. Seems like Ill have to read that all again.

I see that High Yeld changed indeed. So Cannons doesn't have that Ill hit you and you will pop feeling anymore. So don't bother with cannons. Also needs ammo all the time.
Hmm whats list of effects NPC doesnt ignore? They don't care about heat, does that scramble spectrum works on them?

Anyway going to do some more shoping and engineering, will show a result later. C4 Beams thermal on top is first to do, never tried that.

I was kinda expecting Turrets? No dps you scrub! Git Gud! :D Would like to see C4 Turrets, would give such Cruiser Captain feeling.

@Morbad I know vaguely that dmg is something like AP - Armor hardness, could find it exactly but I was hoping for some dmg above 100% if AP is much bigger number or for bigger chance to shot through armor something like to get bigger chance for Super Penetrator if that's understable. Seems like Ill have to read that all again.

Every weapon has an armor penetration value. If this is equal to or higher than the target vessel's hull rating/hardness value then it does full damage to the hull (minus other resistances). If it's lower it does proportionally less damage. Shoot the hull of an FDL (70 hull rating) with a weapon that has a 35 armor penetration value and it will do half damage.

Hmm whats list of effects NPC doesnt ignore? They don't care about heat, does that scramble spectrum works on them?

Most of them work normally, but there are special considerations. TLB is mostly useless because NPCs don't subsystem target and can reacquire almost instantly. Anything having to do with rebooting the FSD have been dubious in the past, given that NPCs can often wake when they shouldn't....haven't tested this recently though.

Scramble works on NPCs, though as with CMDRs it's often hard to tell unless it causes a thruster malfunction.

Heat does affect NPCs, but thermal shock and thermal cascade are quite weak and the odds of doing anything before one explodes are very small.

I too have not played for a while but am looking at returning and wondering whether I should even keep my Corvette ...

I’ve always struggled with load outs for it and it’s lack of speed. I want to use two C4 PAs as they just look so cool in action but the remainder or the hard points just aren’t sized or placed well enough to waste the C4s on such a niche weapon. Due to the placement of the C3, against small ships you end up with Cobra levels of firepower for 90% of the time.

Most effective I’ve found is 2x C4 Efficient Beams with Thermal Vent: which you can just fire continuously and will pretty much melt anything on their own! All the others as Overcharged MCs then allows you to shred hull very effectively too. But it’s dull as dishwater. :(

I’m starting to think that some kind of asymmetric set-up might be more interesting:

1x C4 Efficient Beam
2x C1 Efficient Beam
1x C3 Overcharged MC
2x C2 Overcharged MC
1x C4 Plasma Accelerator

But, honestly, I think a Krait Mk II or the Mamba is just more fun for combat. I need to get a C7 PP for my Krait and then I can go nuts with Guardian Shield / Hull modules. :)

Ok thanks again.

I too have not played for a while but am looking at returning and wondering whether I should even keep my Corvette ...

I’ve always struggled with load outs for it and it’s lack of speed. I want to use two C4 PAs as they just look so cool in action but the remainder or the hard points just aren’t sized or placed well enough to waste the C4s on such a niche weapon. Due to the placement of the C3, against small ships you end up with Cobra levels of firepower for 90% of the time.

Most effective I’ve found is 2x C4 Efficient Beams with Thermal Vent: which you can just fire continuously and will pretty much melt anything on their own! All the others as Overcharged MCs then allows you to shred hull very effectively too. But it’s dull as dishwater. :(

I’m starting to think that some kind of asymmetric set-up might be more interesting:

1x C4 Efficient Beam
2x C1 Efficient Beam
1x C3 Overcharged MC
2x C2 Overcharged MC
1x C4 Plasma Accelerator

But, honestly, I think a Krait Mk II or the Mamba is just more fun for combat. I need to get a C7 PP for my Krait and then I can go nuts with Guardian Shield / Hull modules. :)
To be honest I don't like large ships much, Conda is making me angry in SC as Im always loopshaming because I don't pay attention or alttab, but besides that its good universal ship, was using it to do "burst" dmg and vaporize enemies one by one in big short dmg. Cutter is sexy as f. but makes me even more crazy, I guess Ill make some pure turreted one and forgot it. Corvette I kinda like, its agile in SC and generaly so I finaly got one. 2x C4 is promising to create something with a punch. And its also very sexy.

I agree that those 2x C2 are well placed, I like it partialy shows me wheres my target I can just lazy follow the beam. Im not sure if I can power C2 and C4 beams, we will see.

At the end it starts to look like Ill have to put better usage to storage and prepare different weapon kinds with different mods as I have a lot of ships but not that much to put in them, always switching stuff from one ship to another which leads to me going out with something completely different as I forgot to switch stuff back when changing ships.

I always have these ideas like modify cannons to high rof and put cannons everywhere to make it like bigger and slower multicannons, then I don't like it and sell it. This must stop :D

I've tried about everything in the Huge HPs on my PVE Vette. LR Pulses, Sturdy Bursts, Efficient and LR Beams, OC and Short Range MC's, Cannons of many styles, Efficient PA's, asymmetrical combos of the above, and in the end I always end up back at Efficient beams with a small turret emissive pulse and a small corrosive MC. That alone will strip shields fast enough I don't care about SCBs while still doing respectable hull damage with the corrosive buff up, leaving the two mediums and bottom large free for whatever I feel like.

Lately I've been running a Large Short Range PA (150 damage a pop) for close up hull work on the more stubborn targets, it's got the PD to handle it and is a lot of fun.

Those side mediums I can never settle on something for long.

Last edited:
Enjoyed many loadouts over the last 2 years but I always come back to huge efficient beams and multis for PVE

As mentioned make sure 1 is corrosive and for the beams I prefer fixed for PL assasination missions and gimballed for lazy mode haz rez hunting

Tbh it's about time I bought another Vette or 2 as it would save me re-outfitting it every time I change what I'm doing (plus free up some module storage space)

Personally I go with two huge overcharged MC's. One corrosive the other incendiary. The rest are all sturdy mount/ thermal vent beams. I find the sturdy gives my lasers extra armour power against NPCs and I only use the MC's when I want to finish someone off quickly, such as when they try to run for it.

I have G5 monstered PP to help with this and G5 charge enhanced Distro too. I balance with bi-weave lo power/ fast charge shields with all the utility points of various boosters. Thrusters are G5 dirty drive.

For harvesting NPCs I find it very effective and in practice losing shields isn't a problem even though I could get better numbers. My lasers can mostly take care of any NPC so use of the MC's is limited.

For PvE I think sturdy mount plays a role, especially in this sort of thing to limit having to go back to a station for restocking.

I never use turrets because in practice I don't find NPCs get away much, although all my weapons are gimballed

Last edited:
Ok :D Just to let you know your answers wasn't in vain and you were heard...still jumping around engineering some more stuff here and there as those damn guys are always on other side of bubble when you need them...

But Basicly I just switched C4 cannons which failed me for those C4 Beams. I had no corrosive so that went under ship in C3 Multi. I kept rails in C1 and in C2 I have burst lasers one with scramble but seems like this might be too energy consuming compared to pulse, we will see. Its nice to design ship in Coriolis but nothing is like try it live.

Those C4 is what I was looking for on my Corvet, looks massive, does some dmg and one has to aim so its harder to fall asleep. Surly ill mess around a bit still but beams are lovely.
And at the end, who doesn't like 70' Italian Disco right?

@OP - you hit the nail on the head. You can plan and plan on coriolis but at the end of the day it depends on what it feels like to fly.

Been said in the forums countless times that what works for one Cmdr won't work for another, but it never hurts to get a fresh perspective from the helpful peeps here.

My Federal Corvette PvE build:

Nice and power hungry, Ive stolen Armored PP from my conda, its G5 but it seems its not enough, Im not able to add that many boosters so there will be more changes coming. Also Power Play is a big problem for me as its something I was looking for most of all and it didn't fulfill my expectations...at all so getting all those special weapons and prismatic will be trouble. Anyway I pledged to Aisling as I like that in 5 years she didn't aged a bit, shes adorable and probably very vital.

Top Bottom