Here is my $400 Planet Coaster Computer

Here is my $400 Planet Coaster (Refurbished) Computer

Below is a video I made today to show the performance of a $400 computer combo that plays Planet Coaster well! This is a desktop + gpu combo I went for, for my college desktop and eventually I will rebuild my home computer (FX6300) into an i7 6700 desktop...but for now until I graduate later this year, this is the computer I will be using to build all my parks, rides, and videos!

---------Computer Specs---------
Intel i5 2400
Nvidia GTX 1060 / 6GB
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
---------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmI791a8Wu0

Last edited:
It's not a "$400 computer" if it's a second-hand rebuild ...

The I5 2400 chip, the GTX 1060 6GB, and the windows copie costs already more than that, and it's without talking about the motherboard, tower, power supply, cooling system, RAM, hard disk, network card, screen, keyboard, mouse, etc...

You just can not call it a "$400 Computer" ! You're just lucky that someone sells you a full computer for half the price of the processor it contains, but you can not use it as an argument to say "Hey, you can play PlanetCoaster with a $400 computer" because for this price, in a store, you can have a small computer for office use, that's all.

I just wanted to say that for all the people who will read this thread diagonally [rolleyes]

Last edited:
You just can not call it a "$400 Computer" ! You're just lucky that someone sells you a full computer for half the price of the processor it contains, but you can not use it as an argument to say "Hey, you can play PlanetCoaster with a $400 computer" because for this price, in a store, you can have a small computer for office use, that's all.

Pretty much this ^ [up]

Last edited:
It's not a "$400 computer" if it's a second-hand rebuild ...

The I5 2400 chip, the GTX 1060 6GB, and the windows copie costs already more than that, and it's without talking about the motherboard, tower, power supply, cooling system, RAM, hard disk, network card, screen, keyboard, mouse, etc...

You just can not call it a "$400 Computer" ! You're just lucky that an idiot sells you a full computer for half the price of the processor it contains, but you can not use it as an argument to say "Hey, you can play PlanetCoaster with a $400 computer" because for this price, in a store, you can have a small computer for office use, that's all.

I just wanted to say that for all the people who will read this thread diagonally [rolleyes]

I think you're completely misinterpreting my video and this whole thread. I can call this a $400 computer because the price I paid for the prebuilt desktop, gpu, and psu needed to get the performance I have costed me about $400-430 in total taking in consideration timing and good prices. This seller is not an idiot for selling it at the price it costed because the value of that desktop has long diminished from it's original value and a Dell Optiplex 790 like I bought can be easily found with similar/same specs for about the same price if you take the time to look around. If you look at the ebay ad I put in the video you would see that it came with everything including Windows 7, the only thing I bought to add was the gpu and psu. The $400 price range does vary based on market prices, but "$400" was just to make it a shorter more direct title.

The way you put it, it's as if ALL people who want to play Planet Coaster somehow have ZERO computer peripherals ("screen, keyboard, mouse") seriously? and you also made it sound like they're not allowed to buy a prebuilt, ready to use desktop like the one I got...as if they're only allowed to have a computer by buying every single part. Not to mention, there are versions of this computer from other sellers that actually come with a generic keyboard and mouse for a little bit more money. Sure there are some people who might not have a screen, keyboard, or mouse, but the underlying value of the video still stands and that is that if you know where to look, you can get yourself into Planet Coaster for relatively cheap contrary to what people think.

All I'm trying to do is give people options and share my experience with what I thought could be a great entry level computer than can run Planet Coaster. I love playing Planet Coaster and so far I've had a great experience using this cheap system and I hope by making this Thread & Video, more people will be able to share this experience as well.

Here is an eBay listing of Dell Optiplex 790 Mini Towers similar to mine, most of them are anywhere from $120-300 and prices change almost every 3 days so if someone is really looking for a good deal, they will wait and buy a computer when they find the one they want at a price that fits their budget.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=dell%20optiplex%20790%20i5&_dcat=179&Form%2520Factor=Mini%2520Tower&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Last edited:
Here is my $2 pizza
--------------------------------

It's amazing, I bought some cheese for $2, added it to the pizza base, tomato sauce and pineapple I already had at home, and now I have a super-tasty pizza for just $2!

Alright because it seems everyone is taking this "computer" thing so literally, here's a "$500 Gaming PC Build" by Austin Evans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DIYCLUsIU

Other than the fact that he's actually putting together this computer, there is NO difference to the point I'm making. What is it he's claiming? a $500 gaming pc, does it come with a screen or any peripherals? NOPE, yet no one is saying, "technically it's not $500 if you consider all the other stuff..." If he can call that a $500 gaming pc build, then the logic remains true, given that a Dell Optiplex and everything else included with it has a market worth around $145, add a $254 GTX 1060 and let's say a $35 550watt psu...that comes out to be about $434 or so.

Besides I don't know what era you live in, but last time I checked, we live in the Intel Skylake age and NOT the 2011 Sandybridge age, i5 2400 chip is worth $60-70...so I don't know how anyone could think the computer is worth "half" of the cpu value...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-2400-3-10GHz-6M-Quad-Core-LGA-1155-Processor-CPU-3-1GHz-SR00Q-/222302727894?hash=item33c2466ed6:g:VVsAAOSwnbZYGmWN

Last edited:
I think you're completely misinterpreting my video and this whole thread. I can call this a $400 computer because the price I paid for the prebuilt desktop, gpu, and psu needed to get the performance I have costed me about $400-430 in total taking in consideration timing and good prices. This seller is not an idiot for selling it at the price it costed because the value of that desktop has long diminished from it's original value and a Dell Optiplex 790 like I bought can be easily found with similar/same specs for about the same price if you take the time to look around. If you look at the ebay ad I put in the video you would see that it came with everything including Windows 7, the only thing I bought to add was the gpu and psu. The $400 price range does vary based on market prices, but "$400" was just to make it a shorter more direct title.

The way you put it, it's as if ALL people who want to play Planet Coaster somehow have ZERO computer peripherals ("screen, keyboard, mouse") seriously? and you also made it sound like they're not allowed to buy a prebuilt, ready to use desktop like the one I got...as if they're only allowed to have a computer by buying every single part. Not to mention, there are versions of this computer from other sellers that actually come with a generic keyboard and mouse for a little bit more money. Sure there are some people who might not have a screen, keyboard, or mouse, but the underlying value of the video still stands and that is that if you know where to look, you can get yourself into Planet Coaster for relatively cheap contrary to what people think.

All I'm trying to do is give people options and share my experience with what I thought could be a great entry level computer than can run Planet Coaster. I love playing Planet Coaster and so far I've had a great experience using this cheap system and I hope by making this Thread & Video, more people will be able to share this experience as well.

Here is an eBay listing of Dell Optiplex 790 Mini Towers similar to mine, most of them are anywhere from $120-300 and prices change almost every 3 days so if someone is really looking for a good deal, they will wait and buy a computer when they find the one they want at a price that fits their budget.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=dell%20optiplex%20790%20i5&_dcat=179&Form%2520Factor=Mini%2520Tower&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I get what you're saying and I can't see anything wrong with informing people that you were able to upgrade your computer for $400 to be able to play PC.

However, I feel you would've avoided the backlash if your title was, "Here is my $400 Planet Coaster Refurbished Computer". Just my two pyreals on the subject.

I get what you're saying and I can't see anything wrong with informing people that you were able to upgrade your computer for $400 to be able to play PC.

However, I feel you would've avoided the backlash if your title was, "Here is my $400 Planet Coaster Refurbished Computer". Just my two pyreals on the subject.

Thanks, I suppose that is a more relevant title so I appreciate the suggestion, I guess I just didn't expect to get the responses I got considering my intentions were good.

Thanks, I suppose that is a more relevant title so I appreciate the suggestion, I guess I just didn't expect to get the responses I got considering my intentions were good.

It's like a crap shoot around here. It's like a significant other when they're moody. Your intentions could be as good as they can get and if you get one word wrong... watch out buddy! :)

My point was not to annoy you, just to let people know the truth.

I'm very happy that you can play to PlanetCoaster, but I just don't want that people think "If I have 400$, I can buy a gaming PC to play PlanetCoaster"

Alright because it seems everyone is taking this "computer" thing so literally, here's a "$500 Gaming PC Build" by Austin Evans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DIYCLUsIU [...]
Okay ... Let's try this :

So I used the links in HIS OWN description (under the video), and I have : 568,97 € (605,58 US$)

Also, I imagine he is using a keyboard and a mouse (let's say around 20 € for the cheapest).
Also, to play, you need a screen (around 100 €)
We are at 688,97 €

Now, since, PlanetCoaster is only available on Windows and not a free/open source OS (like Linux for exemple), he need a license.
The W10 Familly version is at 99.99€ on the microsoft store.

We are at 788,96 € (839,72 US$)

My only point is to say : It's not like a console, you buy the pack with the console and the controler, you go home, and you can play.
If you buy a Nvidia card + an Intel chip and you go home, well ... The only thing you can play with is the cardboard packaging.

It was not to be mean or something.
You made a good deal and it's very cool for you [yesnod][up]

And no, a i5-2400 is not $60, but around $150 ($177 on the official intel website)
The price you talk about is a second-hand price, and it's not the same.

Absolutely ! [yesnod][up]

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
C'mon guys and girls.

Play nice. It's Friday. :)

Alright, look I feel like maybe you're being a little too literal, it's not that you're wrong because technically what you're saying is true, but my original assumption was that there's probably quite a few people on here that already have the game, have an old desktop computer that barely runs PC or maybe has a screen, keyboard and mouse they use with their laptop and is looking for a cheap upgrade. I get that you're being specific to the so called "true value" of the computer taking in consideration the perceived company value of each part. My reasoning for linking the "second hand" stuff is because no one in the right mind is going to buy 5 year old parts (or whole computer) at full perceived company value to build a 5 year old computer, that's just silly and if someone actually did build this computer, they would likely buy second hand stuff considering they could just get newer second hand Ivy-Bridge or even lower end Haswell age parts for not a lot more than the full perceived company value of the 5 year old SandyBridge age parts.

Basically, yes I agree that my title was potentially misleading and I apologize for that. All I wanted to get across is that assuming you're in the market to upgrade the tower of your whole computer, then for about $400 it's possible.

I hope this clears everything up and I hope that there will be people who will benefit from my computer suggestion in this thread that way more people can join the fun in PC. [heart]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

C'mon guys and girls.

Play nice. It's Friday. :)

Lol oops, it's 5:37am Friday morning, looks like I should get some sleep [haha]

Last edited:
I could use a new PC are you offering to buy me one? Whats the have to do with Planet Coaster tho this belongs in the off-topic forum

People can play planet coaster on a low end computer easily . But you only get so much performance out of it .

I test a lot of games . One of the values I offer the devs. I test for is how I test them . I have 3 computers I test games on . They range from low end to high end . Hardware includes AMD cpus and intel cpus, AMD and nvidea GPUs .

What the OP is saying and has said is spot on . He has shown the 3 biggest performance components of a computer and how they effect the game .

Top Bottom