Here's What G5ing Your Gear Will Cost You

If not for EDEngineers, I simply would not have come back to play Elite as often as I have done. I remember coming back once, looking at my out of date engineered FAS, looking once at the nasty spreadsheet I had to use to attempt to manage the process to upgrade it and then logged off for another year or three. The last time I came back, last year, I found EDEngineers and that simply changed the game for me. It made the process bearable. If Odyssey is the same it'll just annoy me no end.
Inara for me, rather than a separate program, but yes, without those it would be terrible.

Inara for me, rather than a separate program, but yes, without those it would be terrible.
Yup, I do include Inara and EDDB and Coriolis and lots of third party tools that, without, Elite would be a much more frustrating experience. EDDB just removes the "you must hunt for every upgrade to your ship!" thing. Sure, my main account has Triple Elite but my alts don't and so the choice is... jump, dock, look for modules, jump, dock, look for modules for an hour or just plug my Coriolis build into EDDB and it'll tell me the closest system that stocks everything I need and when it was last updated.

Fdev do think that trawling about micro managing multiple lists of things you need presents deep game play. I'm convinced we can have deep game play without it. But it is what it is.

Why is it an issue? Should engineering be mandatory?
They present a challenge in having much tougher shields and armour than the lowest level, and use better, harder hitting, weapons. They can be beaten, but not by just standing there and firing at them, as unengineered our CMDR is certainly not 'tanky' enough to ignore the encounter.

Of course, if engineering follows on the same tack as the base game, by the time a player has G5'ed everything the NPC opponents may as well be cardboard cut-outs...
Engineering IS mandatory if you want to have a semblance of success. It may be technically possible to beat NPC - but beating down bulletsponges, I'd say fun is something different than that.

Engineering IS mandatory if you want to have a semblance of success. It may be technically possible to beat NPC - but beating down bulletsponges, I'd say fun is something different than that.
Engineering on foot is mandatory. There is no upgrade path without it. There isn't a corvette suit that let's you dual wield primary weapons.

The fact that you can beat all content with the boots equivalent to a Cobra doesn't mean that engineering isn't required. It means that the game is poorly balanced.

Yeh, arguing over whether something is fine because it's not mandatory is still just saying "you don't have to do it if you don't like it" which is still just saying:

"A feature of this game this is you can avoid it entirely."

Not likely to win many debates over the quality of the game. It should be madatory because it's fun and you want to play the game. Like Diablo games. I don't look at their upgrade process and say it's good because one can opt to avoid it entirely by never playing the game. If you like the game, upgrading occurs without thought from the player, almost every minute that you play. It's a good example for any upgrade progression game to follow. Quite a lot of Elite's progression works this way, actually.

Just not scavenger lists.

Top Bottom