Here's What G5ing Your Gear Will Cost You

I don’t know... I’ve played some early 90s RPG games with much more depth than this lol

Maybe because you're looking at the system in a vacuum. The Explore > Acquire Resource > Upgrade loop is the foundation of RPG game design right down from Gygax. It differentiated itself from the traditional skill-gated loop popularized by Arcade logic when it came to videogames, since it was necessary to justify a larger upfront cost, and therefore a greater return on occupied time.

i did a quick and dirty g5 anaconda dakka build with some hull reinforcements and A grade goodies and shield boosters. it took a total of a little under 1000 materials to do all of it if you do 1, 1, 3, 4, and 4 rolls for grade 1 through 5 respectively. https://s.orbis.zone/e8ft thats already less than the fully upgraded on-foot loadout. THEN consider that you get all of the old engineering mats THREE AT A TIME. so its more like picking up 330ish mats vs 1500. and oh, its not done yet, the on foot loadout doesnt even take into account ENGINEERING! its just upgrades. we dont even know what it'll take to add the engineering mods.

that seems like more mats than I have used in fully upgrading 40+ ships, including ships I custom ordered from the firm schizten & gigglesdorf for the lols...

and for all the white knights that say "buttt this is allllpppphhhaaaaaaa" they got those numbers from somewhere, odds are they are going to stay at least 90% as high
Yeah, that's my concern.... the amount of mats needed for upgrade of suits and weapons seems disproportionate to the amount needed for ship engineering.

Same as with engineering ships, i presume FD don't expect people to get fully upgraded in a matter of days or weeks. They want it to take a long time. Something you earn slowly and eventually do while playing the game normally.

If players choose to go all in and grind like crazy to do it asap that is their choice and they shouldn't then complain about it being a grind when they decided to do that rather than just playing the game.

Now, i'm not saying that the numbers couldn't do with tweaking, but we've all seen where this goes. If FD give in to the "game is a grind" people, then we end up with situations like we have with credits, where they become meaningless, and people can skip right to the best stuff quickly. At which point you have to start asking, why have credits anyway? And then, just make it a sandbox, there is no point working for anything.

If the amount of organic effort in getting a G5 suit is on a par with upgrading a ship to G5, then i see no issue with it. If it takes significantly longer, then yeah, i'll perhaps be a bit frustrated.

I don't understand the point of "upgrading."
  1. Game gets increasingly easier the more you upgrade
  2. Promotes sticking to upgraded gear instead of a diverse gear experience
  3. Encourages ganking low level players
  4. Places heavy focus on grinding
Horizontal models like what Warframe, GW2, or heck, any modern game really, are so much more fun to play with. While there is an early vertical model, it's usually quick to get past. You collect for the sake of flavor, style, and unique experiences, not just for the sake of trivializing content or getting away from annoying qualities like weapon swap dependence. Designing a game entirely around upgrades couldn't be more shallow.
You have perfectly summarised what Elite Dangerous is, and Odyssey will be just the same.

I've made salty posts about this before, but "organic" effort, as in playing the game normally without using relog exploits, need to be the most efficient form of farming in order for people to not feel compelled to do the exploits. If a game has a grind then grinding should be fun.
I've been told that time wasting is a fundamental part of the game.

I've made salty posts about this before, but "organic" effort, as in playing the game normally without using relog exploits, needs to be the most efficient farming method in order for people to not feel compelled to do the exploits. If a game has a grind then grinding should be fun.

I'd like to see a developer achieve this. Every game i've played where there is some progress via collection/farming has some sort of exploity way to get more.

And can you imagine the salt if FD actually fixed the relog?

I'd like to see a developer achieve this. Every game i've played where there is some progress via collection/farming has some sort of exploity way to get more.
Collection / farming is a huge part of Minecraft and millions of children seem to like playing that :p. Mat farming is a regular part of a lot of games, but we only seem to notice when it's particularly bad.
And can you imagine the salt if FD actually fixed the relog?
No need to remove it, just make it relatively inefficient. But if they did fix it... well, I'd be happy I'm not on the dev team.

Engineering already made little sense with the ships, considering the degree of extra oomph it gives them. Doubling values with negligible downsides.
But in a death match style FPS? That's just ridiculous. People in dedicated FPS games cry havoc if you get a 3% damage bonus.
So in the end you will only see people play these missions if they have G5 gear, which means boring grind. Instead of maintaining a level playing field.
(For a suit and a gun... I mean... really.. a SUIT and a GUN... If you buy a kitchen knife in Elite dangerous, prepare to travel the galaxy hunting for metals before you can slice bread or dare even cut meat with it!)

Thanks for the analysis!
keep in mind that the suits and guns cost more than some ships.

Top Bottom