Here's What G5ing Your Gear Will Cost You

Are you trolling? Jeez, even the moderators on here...

If you are fine with the current status i.e. two weeks of nonstop relog grinding just to get some of your equipment to G4 - and are not worried about how long this would take without relogging exploits, you clearly have a lot more spare time than I do.
Sorry to hear your situation, bub, but ya know, that's kinda on you.

I am probably missing something but, what?
Short answer is absolutely yes you are. But I know you're intelligent enough to be able to read the OP and deduce that there's more to it than what you've selectively quoted; I'm not convinced you're genuinely ignorant of what the OP is complaining about. And your question comes across as rhetoric and disingenuous.

I feel like I'm repeating myself but he wasn't referencing the two weeks part - No one that I can see is complaining about it taking two weeks. There's a ton more to it than that and it's a little dismissive of the time the OP put into this to try and share his findings (in an Alpha test, where this sort of effort should only be encouraged) to ignore all of it and sideline the main issue by something that's, at best, deliberately ignorant or, worst, an intentional strawman response.

Yes, it would be wrong to complain about it being two weeks - that's a very easy argument to win - that's the strawman. But we aren't saying that. In fact, we've made it clear that it would be fine if it took longer than two weeks and I think it's clear from the OP's post that he's not arguing against that - it just happens to be a point of data he added to the first sentence that some have latched onto without considering anthing else; I don't think I'm alone in saying I would be happy if it took a month to get just one G5 (and let's not forget, the OP hasn't even done that...) The overall length of time is not the issue and I don't think it helps to one-liner respond to something that we all already agree with.

To be crystal clear: It's OK if it takes longer than two weeks. Please read the rest of the OP and some of the other replies if you're genuinely interested in knowing what we feel the issues are.

Last edited:
If you are fine with the current status i.e. two weeks of nonstop relog grinding just to get some of your equipment to G4 - and are not worried about how long this would take without relogging exploits, you clearly have a lot more spare time than I do.
I'm not worried about two weeks solid of relogging as I would never, ever bother 'grinding' - but that is me and I find the "Do something I hate for XXX hours to be equal to other who have done the same!" mentality beyond my understanding of 'recreational activity'.

As for your not having 'more spare time' - ED is not the fastest moving game, is 'taking your time and enjoying the trip' a poor suggestion?

for it to take 2 weeks with the way the OP did it, multiply that by 30 mins per cycle, per item if you get lucky.

then divide that by 8 (4 hours average play time per day as a starting point) and the answer you get is the amount of days if you are lucky, if you do NOTHING else.

Faced by that kind of grind thats something I would easily just say frak that and ignore it.

I'm retired, have nothing to do but play games, play 12-16 hours a day and I still wont do that kind of grind.

As for your not having 'more spare time' - ED is not the fastest moving game, is 'taking your time and enjoying the trip' a poor suggestion?
No, it's a good enough suggestion. If the game actually allows so. When I look at engineering I doubt ED will, but I know games which are grindy as hell but dont shove pumped enemies into your face unless you choose so. I'm fine when I can choose my challenge and the gameplay is fun enough. What I hate is being led by the noose like in ED.

I'm not worried about two weeks solid of relogging as I would never, ever bother 'grinding' - but that is me and I find the "Do something I hate for XXX hours to be equal to other who have done the same!" mentality beyond my understanding of 'recreational activity'.

The very simple point being made is Odyssey doesn't have a broad enough spectrum of total activites to sustain the upgrade path to its fullness without excessive repetition. The other being combat doesn't allow us to get any progress in upgrading combat stuff, but that is just part of that former point (a cause of it).

Whether it's done in two weeks by relogging or done over years "naturally" doesn't change that point. I think it's pretty easy to say "I just don't do it". Good. It doesn't impact you then and you have nothing invested in this.

Last edited:
No, it's a good enough suggestion. If the game actually allows so. When I look at engineering I doubt ED will, but I know games which are grindy as hell but dont shove pumped enemies into your face unless you choose so. I'm fine when I can choose my challenge and the gameplay is fun enough. What I hate is being led by the noose like in ED.
The NPCs can be beaten, even in High CZs, with unengineered weapons - so there is no actual 'requirement', so far, for mandatory engineering - although, as in the base game, engineering to mid-level would give the player sufficient advantage over NPCs to minimise risk. 🤷‍♂️

From my perspective the only players who will 'need' everything G5 are those who wish to PvP (pretty much the same in base game), if only because every other PvP player will make it, as today, "the META" o_O

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
To be crystal clear: It's OK if it takes longer than two weeks. Please read the rest of the OP and some of the other replies if you're genuinely interested in knowing what we feel the issues are.

Fully red the OP and absolutely nothing disingenuous here. Just clearly pointing out that the response I quoted was actually complaining about that time frame in particular within the context of what upgrades have been achieved, which was quite a lot (the number of items required is relatively irrelevant, what really matters is the time you need to get them). For that context, imo, the time is absolutely more than reasonable, and much, much faster than anything to date we have seen in ship engineering.

I am glad you agree that the "two weeks" part is not really an issue. That is all I pointed out.

I have not commented about any of the other topics you are referring to.

Last edited:
And then there's the side of after the players have spent a year grinding the stuff, they'll just nerf all the stats in both suits and weapon so all that time is wasted anyways. ¯\(ツ)

Fully red the OP and absolutely nothing disingenuous here. Just clearly pointing out that the response I quoted was actually complaining about that time frame in particular within the context of what has been achieved

I can't see how. This is the original text that you "cut" the quote out of:

That is just plain ridiculous. FDev, are your serious?
Collecting 1495 materials just for upgrading your gear, nevermind the costs to fill those engineering slots in each item?
I am truly at a loss for words.
That very clearly states the reason he thinks it is ridiculous (highlighted for emphasis). You chose to cut that out of your post. It doesn't mention the two weeks whatsoever. So, for the sake of brevity I suppose we can agree that this line is what you were missing when you asked if you were missing anything.

Fully red the OP and absolutely nothing disingenuous here. Just clearly pointing out that the response I quoted was actually complaining about that time frame in particular within the context of what has been achieved, and which was allegedly quite a lot already. For that context, imo, the time is absolutely more than reasonable, and much, much faster than anything to date we have seen in ship enginerring.

I am glad you agree that the "two weeks" part is not really an issue. That is all I pointed out.

I have not commented about any of the other topics you are referring to.
now whos being disingenuous? I can upgrade a ship to all grade 5 spec in maybe 2 days since I have the engineers unlocked. The numbers of mats needed for a G5 suit and weapons is enough to do my entire fleet of ships, and that takes 2 weeks fully gaming the system where to upgrade a ship I dont use any relogging mechanics and could do it in 2 days. And those numbers are before unlocking the new engineers coming and the upgrade costs associated with that.

The numbers are completely out of scale for the utility of what they offer especially considering once you add mods to anything, those items are locked in that design and you have to start all over again if you want to change anything.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I can't see how. This is the original text that you "cut" the quote out of:

That very clearly states the reason he thinks it is ridiculous (highlighted for emphasis). You chose to cut that out of your post. It doesn't mention the two weeks whatsoever.

Which in turn quoted this:

It took me around two weeks to gather the materials to upgrade my equipment using relogski exploits at Industrial Settlements, Military Settlements, Nav Beacon Impact Sites (Threat 2's), and Irregular Markers POIs - and I'm not even G5'd yet.

The number of items required is relatively irrelevant, what really matters is the time you need to get them, i.e. the 2 weeks quoted in this case.

Which in turn quoted this:

The number of items required is relatively irrelevant, what really matters is the time you need to get them, i.e. the 2 weeks quoted.
Disagree. It's logically incorrect to state as a fact that collecting those materials takes two weeks. The OP took two weeks to collate their data, but that's got nothing to do with the issue.

Logically, it could take years or just hours. You've decided the number is irrelevant. But none of us have. That number is huge. It's exactly relevant. It directly links to the number of times we have to repeat stuff to get it (variance only due to RNG which just makes it worse).

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Disagree. It's logically incorrect to state as a fact that collecting those materials takes two weeks. The OP took two weeks to collate their data, but that's got nothing to do with the issue.

Logically, it could take years or just hours. You've decided the number is irrelevant. But none of us have. That number is huge. It's exactly relevant. It directly links to the number of times we have to repeat stuff to get it (variance only due to RNG which just makes it worse).

It could take very different time frames depending on who plays and how obviously. But the the reponse was made to the OP and that is what we are comenting on.

The number of items is indeed irrelevant, what matters is the time it will take to get them. Two weeks for all those upgrades does not sound outrageous at all especially when we compare with the time it takes to get some ship engineering upgrades going.

It could take very different time frames depending on who plays and how obviously. But the the reponse was made to the OP and that is what we are comenting on.

The number of items is indeed irrelevant, what matters is the time it will take to get them. Two weeks for all those upgrades doe snot sound outrageous at all especially when we compared with the time it takes to get some engineering upgrades.
again I could upgrade a ship to all grade 5 in 2 days playing normally... with 10% of the mats needed, they gamed the system and it still took 2 weeks before any engineering.

Taking 100x as many mats, and 10x the time for something that has such limited utility IS the problem

Are you being so obtuse because you are so wrong and cant admit it? or is Fdev getting so worried about how bad Odyssey is shaping up?

The NPCs can be beaten, even in High CZs, with unengineered weapons
This is another issue.
Why is it an issue? Should engineering be mandatory?
They present a challenge in having much tougher shields and armour than the lowest level, and use better, harder hitting, weapons. They can be beaten, but not by just standing there and firing at them, as unengineered our CMDR is certainly not 'tanky' enough to ignore the encounter.

Of course, if engineering follows on the same tack as the base game, by the time a player has G5'ed everything the NPC opponents may as well be cardboard cut-outs...

The number of items is indeed irrelevant, what matters is the time it will take to get them. Two weeks for all those upgrades doe snot sound outrageous at all especially when we compared with the time it takes to get some engineering upgrades.
Did he complain about the fact it took him two weeks? Was that part of his feedback? Did he suggest it should take less than two weeks?

Top Bottom