Hey it's not fair... this guy left without giving me his stuffz!

MMS is great (glorious even if you play in VR) but it's not a game to leave elite dangerous for. The 2 are entirely different games . Definitely worth a place in your collection tho if you like the premise
That's why so many switch, when they burn out on one, or the other.

Frontier wants you to go steady. We see less clingy partners...

If we're being realistic... my active games right now are Yakuza 3 Remaster, Fire Emblem: Three Houses (third playthrough), Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included, and my pile of shame consists of Witcher 3, Shadow of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, and the rest of the Yakuza series from 3 onwards.... and DMing a D&D campaign and dabbling in some Game Maker Studio.

So you can see the niche Elite fills... I lull back to my EVE accounts now and then, but F2P means my 15-yo character can't do half his stuff, and I really can't sink subs into it. Should also make it pretty obvious why FC's as a concept are pretty repulsive on all fronts at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm playing Just Cause 3 for fun at the moment, got it also in a sale some weeks ago. Awesome fun game, I loved 2 already.
Other things I play are Stellaris and KSP, but both aren't what I want right now. Ark was also a nice game.

edit: I'm propably addicted to sandbox games 😂

I don't 'get' this leaving Elite blargh. Yes, blargh isn't a word but it should be. You're not married to it, are you?

Like the boyo above says, they are two entirely different games, each can sit quite happily in your library or hard drive or whatever. Like crayons vs felt tips, each has its place.
Some people are like, "I'm uninstalling Elite!" which never made any sense to me unless you are still using the 250 MB SSD that came with your laptop. However, there are games like Elite that require dedication, and I personally can only commit to one such game at a time. When I'm playing Elite, I'm not playing Space Engineers, and vice-versa. This is different than a game like Overwatch or even City Skylines, both of which I can jump in and out of for an hour session here and there and not miss a beat. Games like Elite are a "second life" for many, and most of us have enough trouble juggling two lives, let alone three or four.

Some people are like, "I'm uninstalling Elite!" which never made any sense to me unless you are still using the 250 MB SSD that came with your laptop. However, there are games like Elite that require dedication, and I personally can only commit to one such game at a time. When I'm playing Elite, I'm not playing Space Engineers, and vice-versa. This is different than a game like Overwatch or even City Skylines, both of which I can jump in and out of for an hour session here and there and not miss a beat. Games like Elite are a "second life" for many, and most of us have enough trouble juggling two lives, let alone three or four.
This. Amen.
I quickly jump into an hour of Just Cause, but when I start a new career in KSP I take a leave from Elite for at least 3 weeks...

edit: oh, and off we went to offtopic, left to slowly die 😂

I'm tempted as well, especially since NMS supports VR. Is there a mod that at least makes the textures and colors more realistic looking? (This question is for the NMS experts)
It depends on the planets, not all are cartoony.
There are also normal planets. Once I explored an ELW with brown grass (regular palette though). I was walking through a prairie and I stopped contemplating the environment. It was one of the most immersive experience in VR.

I got NMS a month ago or so, it's kind of a different beast entirely, though the two might seem similar on paper.
Pros:
Really strong base building (I was able to build a base with an underground submarine bay in less than a day, including gathering the necessary mats), pretty cool and varied ground vehicles (esp now when they added mechs just a few days back), and the planets, while nothing spectacular, have a fair amount of different climates. Also, the game is really easy, and doesn't require a lot of grind to get any toys you want. The game seems to be updated constantly with significant additions and gameplay features added all the time.
A free fleet carrier I guess, lol.
Cons:
Combat is very weak, both on the ground and in space, the flight model is very simplistic, ships all feel samey. Exploration is a bit meh, as you'll be tripping over outposts, burried technologies and materials no matter where you land. This abundance really messes with the feel of exploring a harsh and dangerous universe as you're never more than a minute away from finding whatever you might need for survival.

All in all, it's a fun little game, and the devs will always have my respect for managing to completely turn it around since launch, absolutely burying its players in constant, free updates and additions.
That being said, I don't think it will scratch the same itch that Elite does, the game feels very casual, and taking off in your ship for the first time might feel like switching from Photoshop to MS Paint. But ofcourse, you can still have fun with MS paint, just don't expect a very deep experience.

Just to expand on that... games like Yakuza, or Fire Emblem, for me, need a dedicated blob of time no different to Elite... if I'm just dipping in and out, I forget where I am and grow no attachment to the characters or story... only Yakuza and Fire Emblem have a finite plotline, so I know they'll end. But they'll still take me 40+ hours away from Elite at about 2-3 hours a day... and that's what it competes against for my time.

And when FCs are just giant credit sinks to remove excess credits from broken and unbalanced income sources, and I'm not in that target audience, well, yeah...

It depends on the planets, not all are cartoony.
There are also normal planets. Once I explored an ELW with brown grass (regular palette though). I was walking through a prairie and I stopped contemplating the environment. It was one of the most immersive experience in VR.
When I crest a hill, I usually take a look around with my visor, then just stand there, amazed.

That's after having stopped at the military crestline. Mole can tell you about that...

I've got over 1k hrs in nms (more in elite), if I had to pick between the two it would be elite. NMS isn't less grindy, you're constantly chasing for resources and refining them to get other type of resources. Gameplay is equally shallow, once you realize that there's only a handful of variations between fauna and flora, only thing left is the base building. While it's cool at times, it's equally frustrating at others. A lot of parts aren't consolidated and conflict with each other. Most enjoyable experience I got from nms was with friends, but here's the catch. In multiplayer, the more people around you, that much more the game becomes buggier. Ships go into crazy loud sound loops, ground keeps doing weird things, base parts get randomly deleted, etc. Lore? It's just a lot of time gated text and go fetch missions. Space combat and flight model is horrible.

That being said, I certainly got my moneys worth, but I'd never say nms is better than elite. It's easier yes, much easier, not better.

I've got over 1k hrs in nms (more in elite), if I had to pick between the two it would be elite. NMS isn't less grindy, you're constantly chasing for resources and refining them to get other type of resources. Gameplay is equally shallow, once you realize that there's only a handful of variations between fauna and flora, only thing left is the base building. While it's cool at times, it's equally frustrating at others. A lot of parts aren't consolidated and conflict with each other. Most enjoyable experience I got from nms was with friends, but here's the catch. In multiplayer, the more people around you, that much more the game becomes buggier. Ships go into crazy loud sound loops, ground keeps doing weird things, base parts get randomly deleted, etc. Lore? It's just a lot of time gated text and go fetch missions. Space combat and flight model is horrible.

That being said, I certainly got my moneys worth, but I'd never say nms is better than elite. It's easier yes, much easier, not better.
Indeed, the games are different. They satisfy different needs, and audiences. It took a worldwide calamity to make me buy NMS on sale. :(

With all this NMS advertising around here I was really tempted to get the game,
it's on sale at Steam right now, but I simply can't get into those cartoon graphics.
Watched some vids, but all I see is a guy in a space suit running around through ridiculous
colored landscapes.
I mean, Star Citizen I could get into as an alternative to Elite, but NMS?

Yeah, I'm a fairly new NMS player, having instinctively always preferred the realism of Elite. The general art direction in Elite is massively superior, but I must admit that the planets in NMS sky can actually be quite beautiful in a surreal, 70s album cover kind of way (I play in VR). Exploration is a richer experience in some respects, since planets have so much more to offer, but it doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of beauty or accuracy at the system level.

Where NMS excels is in the range of activities that it offers, and the general atmosphere of fun and generosity in the way that Hello Games approach the game and their players. Grind has been virtually eliminated due to the fact that, based on player feedback, HG understood that players were not enjoying it and so they massively increased the inventory to absurd, utter unrealistic levels and the game is all the better for it. They regularly introduce pretty major features without fanfare and without strings attached. Just in the last couple of days a new Mech Suit was introduced - I found out late last night, fired up the game and within 10 minutes I was stomping around my on one of my home planets like a boss (I have about 30 bases at different locations - you can build anywhere, do anything). The slightly silly, cartoon-like approach extends to the gameplay (you can tame, milk and ride lifeforms), so it's a very different experience, but a "nicer" one in many respects. Bugs aside, NMS has never made me want to throw my Headset out of the window in frustration like Elite has.

I happily play both NMS & ED. ED introducing a crappy feature that I may never use is no reason to quit the game completely. They've done that multiple times in the past and it hasn't bothered me! :D

The features I use in Elite are pretty much the basic stuff that's been there since the early Elite games, flying spaceships, trading, exploring and combat. I ignore quite a lot of the features added specifically to Elite: Dangerous over recent years, Powerplay, CQC, Wings, Multicrew, etc, but their addition doesn't make my game experience worse if I ignore them.

I've been playing a lot of Elite recently because I was concentrating on finishing engineering my Anaconda and then getting my trading Elite rank. Now I've done that I'm back in NMS for a while as they've just had an update that introduces Mechs, which is a helluva lot of fun. Soon enough though I'll be back in Elite to have a go at combat Elite rank, regardless of whatever crappy updates they've added - as long as they haven't seriously broken too much else in the process!

Is VR first person?
You can play it in first or third person without VR (I vastly prefer first for on foot and ships, but 3'rd for ground vehicles, as looking around inside the cockpit isn't very responsive. I think VR might actually solve this very issue. Can't confirm, as am poor)

Top Bottom