Hidden Messages from Installation Antennas

A few months back I had an idea about using Amateur Radio decoding software (SDR) to try to get something, anything from installation antennas we can find across the bubble.

I used these videos and a couple of others as base to get it done:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2WUfYY0xI

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89CqNwuSxCs

I couldn't get any result that I could use as a hint or clue what-so-ever, but a couple of things are still bugging me about these installations...

1. They are funny-named installations floating in space and you don't need Horizons DLC to study/interact with them;
2. These antennas sound like they are really broadcasting something;
3. Spectograph and SDR Waterfall indicate some kind of pattern there I could not distinguish.

Does anyone have tried to decode these before?

Example: Sirius system, "Enlightment Mathematical Analisys"...
Oh, come on! Gotta have something hidden there!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts about this...

A few months back I had an idea about using Amateur Radio decoding software (SDR) to try to get something, anything from installation antennas we can find across the bubble.

I used these videos and a couple of others as base to get it done:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2WUfYY0xI

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89CqNwuSxCs

I couldn't get any result that I could use as a hint or clue what-so-ever, but a couple of things are still bugging me about these installations...

1. They are funny-named installations floating in space and you don't need Horizons DLC to study/interact with them;
2. These antennas sound like they are really broadcasting something;
3. Spectograph and SDR Waterfall indicate some kind of pattern there I could not distinguish.

Does anyone have tried to decode these before?

Oh, come on! Gotta have something hidden there!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts about this...

ive been on that train of thought before... i've only tried using audacity for those things, without any success myself, but im not experienced with the software as some others might be.... I havnt used sounds from that particular location, but i've tried a few from places with some strange sounds be transmitted, never found any thing.... but it only takes once right? I never considered radio decoding software... might give that a try in the future one day myself...

The funny-named installations were added in Beyond: Chapter 2 as a location for the new installation interactions and assault/defence/heist scenarios. All of which are interactive to base game players IIRC.

Previous to this, there were a few dozen/hundred hand-placed, hand-named installations (and listening posts, which were hidden message-related) but Beyond added thousands more procedurally named and placed examples, and some of them have weird, suspect-sounding names as a result of their machine-generated origins. I think there are naming templates with set "bins" of words that the installation names are plucked from, and thrown together. I've seen ones almost identical to this. For example, there's a Pinnacle Biochemical Analysis in Chacobog. So I suspect one of the name templates for science installations is [[corporate-sounding word]] [[name of a science]] [[name of scientific activity]]. Likewise, one of the templates for industrial installations seems to be [[letter of Greek alphabet]] [[name of space phenomena]] [[industrial activity]] so you have names like Zeta Comet Fabrication and Epsilon Eclipse Industries.

Of course, this doesn't mean there's nothing hidden at some of them. Just that the station's existence, name, and accessibility to non-Horizon's players isn't itself an indication of anything unusual.

On the flipside, Sirius is of course deeply involved in the game's back-story and there are several conspiracies involving that system/Sirius Coporation/Wreakin Construction/etc. so anything there is worth checking out.

I would be sure to check as many other similar science installations to make sure they don't all have the same sound. It might still be something interesting even if it is, but if you find the transmission is unique to Sirius (or if each system is unique), then that would set alarm bells ringing.

The whole point I chose Sirius was because the signal from the antennas sounded really like FM communication frequency to me... but as our PC's soundcard cannot process wave signals to MHz frequency it had to be something else... and it could even be some morse code hidden in the middle of the sound I recorded which MIXW4 would be capable to process... but I got no luck so far.

I would appeal to anyone here that knows more about SDR software and Amateur Radio to give me at least a direction or take a closer look to see/hear and make sense out of it.

The whole point I chose Sirius was because the signal from the antennas sounded really like FM communication frequency to me... but as our PC's soundcard cannot process wave signals to MHz frequency it had to be something else... and it could even be some morse code hidden in the middle of the sound I recorded which MIXW4 would be capable to process... but I got no luck so far.

I would appeal to anyone here that knows more about SDR software and Amateur Radio to give me at least a direction or take a closer look to see/hear and make sense out of it.

well, as i said, i dont have much experience, but if you post the sounds you recored, i dont mind throwing it thru audacity fillters and see what if anything i can find... try to post as direct file, not like a youtube video, easier if i can download the file and open it right into audacity, but i can pull it from youtube mp4 if needed.

I also would like to look at a direct recording myself, if possible. I can't get to the station to record it myself since I'm in Colonia at the moment.

Thank you all for promptly offer a helping hand! I have good .wav file quality recording but this forum doesn't allow me to attach the file...
Tried to rename it to other media type and at the end I could export it on QuickTime to video with audio only... (see attachment)

Let me know how can I send you guys this WAV file (8.8Mb)

Attachments

• Sirius_Enlightened.mp4
    764 KB
Last edited:
Thank you all for promptly offer a helping hand! I have good .wav file quality recording but this forum doesn't allow me to attach the file...
Tried to rename it to other media type and at the end I could export it on QuickTime to video with audio only... (see attachment)

Let me know how can I send you guys this WAV file (8.8Mb)

no thats perfect, i was able to download the mp4 from that link :cool:

Ill try to run it thru audacity tomorrow and have a reply in the evening hopfully for you.
Just about to call it a night tonight, and have to work tomorrow most of the afternoon, so I wont get a chance until the evening to take a good look at it, but ill have a reply tomorrow evening if i come across anything in it ....

i gave it a quick listen, not in any software, just here, and i do have to say that it sounds familiar to what i've heard in the past on my previous tries...

Can I ask, how did you take this recording? Like I mean, what were you doing in game?

Can I take a guess that this was while in the FSS pointing at your target; ?

??

Edit: I only ask becuase I can tell you i've checked dozens of recordings i've made in FSS of things from Nutron Stars that sound like "whispers" to installations, stations, gas giants..... from my personal experience, I've never found anything in the recordings.... o_O

BUT, that said, it only takes once right? why else would I have tried dozens of times lol....

I'll still give it a shot tomorrow to the best of my ability, but tbh, im not hopeful at this moment for you unfortunately..... I'll post anything I find....

Have a g'night CMDRs, fly safe 07

Last edited:
This is how I've got this recording:

1. Flew to Sirius and dropped at an installation called "Enlightened Mathematical Analysis";
2. Chose one of like 8 vertical antennas there (which matches real-life specs for long range VLF comms and VLF is normally used by the Navy/Military);
3. Positioned my ship facing the red blinking light close enough to get a good signal strengh and not too close so colision alert do not spoil the recording;
4. Use windows AudioRecorder to save a WAV file (mic is config to save at 96kHz)

On this video the guy explains why and how... he uses a real AM antenna to get the signal to the PC, but as the game already provides us with it, then it is a bit easier.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2W1x6Rb9hI

The trick is to figure out what type of siganl we have... it may be anything from fax simile signal, video signal to encrypted military comms... and decoding it would be the tricky part.

This is how I've got this recording:

1. Flew to Sirius and dropped at an installation called "Enlightened Mathematical Analysis";
2. Chose one of like 8 vertical antennas there (which matches real-life specs for long range VLF comms and VLF is normally used by the Navy/Military);
3. Positioned my ship facing the red blinking light close enough to get a good signal strengh and not too close so colision alert do not spoil the recording;
4. Use windows AudioRecorder to save a WAV file (mic is config to save at 96kHz)

On this video the guy explains why and how... he uses a real AM antenna to get the signal to the PC, but as the game already provides us with it, then it is a bit easier.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2W1x6Rb9hI

The trick is to figure out what type of siganl we have... it may be anything from fax simile signal, video signal to encrypted military comms... and decoding it would be the tricky part.

wow ok, well then i have more hope now that somthing may be in your recording....
I was just saying FSS recordings havnt lead me anywhere in particular, but since this isnt an FSS recording, its more likely in my opinion to find somthing, but no guaruntees still.... your absolutely right, if its somthing like a fax signal, VLF, VHF, or encoded data in some other fasion, its still doubtfull I will find anything in audacity, that would require someone with different software and alot more knowledge of transmission signals.....

Ill be online this evening with a responce to anything I find... i get off work around 6pm EDT, so I should be onlinle before 9pm with some kind of anyalisis for you..

Ok, I'm at UTC -3 time zone... not sure how close it is from yours... but anyways, just direct message me here so I can join you

so i havnt been able to come up with much....

it does SEEM like there might be somthing in the sound, but i cant pull it up...

The most interesteing thing I could find was when I set the beat finder in audacity to a 75% threshold, it ALMOST looks like a system map... but its just a fluke in my opinion....

Everything else I was able to find was inconclusive on all fronts... I could find nothing that matched up with Morris code or anything else i know of...

I could keep looking but im not experienced enough to find anything i think...

Here is what I did find that I thought was worth posting for you....

Sirius_Enlightened 1.png

Speclab4.png

Speclab1.png

Speclab2.png

Speclab3.png

Speclab4.png

I also was looking abit online for some stuff related to the sounds in ED, and I know that ED gets alot of their sounds from NASA recordings.... I found one link with some good examples of sounds recorded by NASA, and its possible that what we are heaing in your recording is just somthing like one of these recordings... some do sound like they have underlying information....

Unfortunatley, I cant help much past this... maybe you'll get lucky and someone else will be able too do more... sorry....

Nice work you have done! Many thanks! I see your spectrograph registering the very same wave pattern I found and you might be right about the sound in the game are coming from actual real-world sources but without any meaningful relation to in-game lore... as always I shall keep looking just in case there's something there to be found.

Thanks once again!!

Top Bottom