High Grade USS nerf?

Deleted member 163043

D
I understand that in this patch an exploit was fixed where by players could log off and on and repeatedly respawn High Grades until it's instance closed... OK np

However, after spending an entire morning to afternoon jumping from system to system, scanning Nav Beacons and finding hardly any High Grades... it looks like High Grades have been nerfed overeral. I found just 2 High Grade USS.

The old system was a real grind to find High Grade manufactured mats... but this new system since the recent patch seems to have made that a large percentage worse!

Can others please comment if they are also noticing a sudden reduction in High Grade signal source spaws.

Perhaps it was unitentionally over-nerfed?

I think HGEs are now more like lucky finds and the meat of the material acquisition lies in grade 4s from encoded emissions and exploding ships. The material traders will find more use.

It's time to find another game/RL hobby. At least ss long as these developers continue crushing the things people like and leaving a comically long backlog of actual bugs.

Mind you, I've just been watching Down to Earth Astronomy's latest video on the subject:

https://youtu.be/Hb4SNolwlBw

He seems to have a method for finding most HGEs at a reasonable, arguably even a generous rate. The exception is Pharmaceutical Isolators. for which he recommends cross-trading. This, he says, will yield about ten units (the equivalent of just over three drops) per hour, which is a lousy rate; but perhaps tolerable if the pick-up rate for other stuff is as good as he suggests.

Personally if I'm cross-trading it'll be with BCs and EFCs taken as mission rewards from the Sirius Atmospherics run. That's actually an incredibly efficient way of obtaining G5 mats for trade - if you also want lots of money. It's as efficient as the Jameson Cobra if you take into account that 60-70% of your time is spent making money and only 30-40% is spent mats-gathering.

I'd love to be off right now trying out D2EA's technique, but I'm currently out at the mining CG. I did in fact find and empty a HGE when I arrived there, but I'm not going to recommend the mining CG as an efficient source of G5 mats.

I've found 5-6 HGE's today while doing "other" stuff

No Pharmas or Improvised but I have to say there are lots about.

My opinion with the exception of the two mentioned above the rest are much easier to find than in the old system

the Sirius Atmospherics run. That's actually an incredibly efficient way of obtaining G5 mats for trade - if you also want lots of money.
Any more info on that?

I've found 5-6 HGE's today while doing "other" stuff
Same here, coming back from the Guardian thing, think I came across about 9 ish, don't know what, some heat thingy that I recall needing for an engineer. Was kind'a surprised after reading the threads on here - and considering I never accidentally came across these things pre 3.3, pretty darn happy with mats collecting, esp from brain trees.
Gonna go back and abuse poor Jamesons crash site.

I've been getting lots of encoded mats from hacking various things in the last week - kinda fun and you don't get a huge fine... If you've got a ship with some decent shields theres not too much danger either

All in all it's much easier to get stuff now

(with the exception of Pharma's and Improvised)

Any more info on that?

The Sirius Atmospherics run, aka Robigo Mines, involves shuttling passengers to a tourist beacon in Sothis and back. Incredibly profitable: with a suitably equipped Python you can make getting on for a hundred million credits/hr.

If you take BCs and EFCs as mission rewards, each will cost you Cr 500,000 in forgone profits. If you then trade these off at a 6/1 ratio, the material traded for will have cost you Cr 3 million. How long does it take you to earn three million on the Sirius Atmospherics run? About two minutes.

Compare with the Jameson Cobra. In an hour you'll end up with about thirty of the material you've traded AECS for*. So each of these materials will have cost you about two minutes of your time - the same cost in time, the ultimate currency in this game, as you paid for the material you got from the Sirius Atmospherics run.

*That's been my experience, though I have seen a slightly higher rate quoted.

@OP I wouldn't usually say this cos I do like repeating myself on important subjects, but there have been SO many threads about his lately, I'm worn out. You won't have any trouble finding a few of them in the last 4 pages of threads. A lot of us have been making as much noise as we can and obviosuly there's some testing documented. Good luck. Hope FD does something about it soon.

Deleted member 163043

D
Mind you, I've just been watching Down to Earth Astronomy's latest video on the subject:

https://youtu.be/Hb4SNolwlBw

He seems to have a method for finding most HGEs at a reasonable, arguably even a generous rate. The exception is Pharmaceutical Isolators. for which he recommends cross-trading. This, he says, will yield about ten units (the equivalent of just over three drops) per hour, which is a lousy rate; but perhaps tolerable if the pick-up rate for other stuff is as good as he suggests.

Personally if I'm cross-trading it'll be with BCs and EFCs taken as mission rewards from the Sirius Atmospherics run. That's actually an incredibly efficient way of obtaining G5 mats for trade - if you also want lots of money. It's as efficient as the Jameson Cobra if you take into account that 60-70% of your time is spent making money and only 30-40% is spent mats-gathering.

I'd love to be off right now trying out D2EA's technique, but I'm currently out at the mining CG. I did in fact find and empty a HGE when I arrived there, but I'm not going to recommend the mining CG as an efficient source of G5 mats.

LOL that video should be entitled, 'How to teach your grandma to suck eggs'

Basically he just made a video telling people how to do it the old way. Its not a new Meta at all

I liked DtEA originally, but with all respect to the guy, I think he cares more about his youtube channel than the state of the game. I honestly feel that his videos are single handedly responsible for all these nerfs.

Cmdr's in game hear of a technique or goldrysh, and through word of mouth you get to hear of it through being connected to other players online and in discords. Making these videos shines too much light on one thing, which then becomes a "META", and that is not helpful to the game IMO. It also annoys Frontier, who then NERF the things, which just hurts everybody.

I think DtEA and other youtubers could be more creative and make other guides, but META and GOLDRUSH videos, just hurt us all... IMHO.

Sorry DtEA, but that's honestly what I see

Deleted member 163043

D
OLD system vs NEW system...

With the old system you were guaranteed to find what you needed. You would fly out 10,000ls and drp to 3 notches, filter out USS only, and watch out for High Grades... it was a grind and not very good, but you could find what you need with enough time. It needed improving.

With the new system, its cool you can now see High Grade at a Nav point, and that they can last 30 mins or so. But overal there are less of them. You drop in, get Nav Point, see one, chase it, if arrive in time, drop in, grab maybe 3 -5 sets of a grade 5... then thats it. The old system was painful, but it has been nerfed so heavy now, this is much much worse!

As adults (and this is mostly an adult game) many of us all have limited time to play (with real life stuff like work and family). So we want to be able to engineer ships and enjoy playing in those ships. This type of grind is strangling this game.

No problems with RAW materials and DATA... they seem fine and balanced and it makes sense in terms of the logic and lore of the game, and reflects niclely to real life... But MANUFACTURED PARTS?

What ever happend to shops in the 3300's? Why is it the only way to get Manufactured parts is to drift around space and pick up scraps?

WE have all these well known corporations making ships. The ships are brand new and you can buy them. What, they don't sell parts? makes absolutely no sense!

It's like you can afford a lamborghini or ferrari, you buy one from the manufacture... but you want to apgrade the engine, or exhaust... you find out the manufacturer doesn't seell the parts, but advises you to drive around the M25 (a motorway) for a few hours and keep checking to see if you find any scraps at the side of the road.

It's illogical to the game, makes no sense, and is not very fun. If you won;t let us buy the manufactured materials Fdev, then at least let us be able to find them a little easier. I can understand the nerf to the situation of dropping in, logging off and on etc, but the nerf to High Grades as a whole is totally over the top and isn't doing the game any favors. People play games for entertainment and FUN. This isn't fun guys. :)

No problems with RAW materials and DATA... they seem fine and balanced and it makes sense in terms of the logic and lore of the game, and reflects niclely to real life... But MANUFACTURED PARTS?

Totally agree with your post except for this line. They make as much sense as manufactured parts, i.e. not even the subtlest lick of it.

You just have to remember that you live in a universe where dragging and dropping a file to copy it is morally equivalent to shenanigans involving goat heads and black candles, and there is an inexplicable galaxy-wide ban in trading common elements in the top ten list of universal abundance such as iron, carbon etc., even in Anarchies which are famous for doing exactly what they're told.

Of course, if it was actually fun, people would care even less whether it made sense.

Last edited:
Totally agree with your post except for this line. They make as much sense as manufactured parts, i.e. not even the subtlest lick of it.

You just have to remember that you live in a universe where dragging and dropping a file to copy it is morally equivalent to shenanigans involving goat heads and black candles, and there is an inexplicable galaxy-wide ban in trading common elements in the top ten list of universal abundance such as iron, carbon etc., even in Anarchies which are famous for doing exactly what they're told.

Of course, if it was actually fun, people would care even less whether it made sense.

Hm. I might give the goat heads and black candles a go. Gotta be worth a shot.[yesnod]

Hm. I might give the goat heads and black candles a go. Gotta be worth a shot.[yesnod]

I'll trade you a goat head for 216 black candles.

Except - obviously! - I can't. Because the ability to trade in these magic commodities is bizarrely restricted, in a galactic population of many trillions, to a handful of ultra-reclusive people who hide in specific stations and do not advertise their services in any way, requiring you to either visit every single station in the universe in person to find them all, or alternatively to leave the universe entirely and consult a list on the interwebs.

Last edited:
I'll trade you a goat head for 216 black candles.

Except - obviously! - I can't. Because the ability to trade in these magic commodities is bizarrely restricted, in a galactic population of many trillions, to a handful of ultra-reclusive people who hide in specific stations and do not advertise their services in any way, requiring you to either visit every single station in the universe in person to find them all, or alternatively to leave the universe entirely and consult a list on the interwebs.

Colonia. Dorn has contacts.
Not sure where he gets the human tallow from...

Top Bottom