Newcomer / Intro High resolution screenshots not saving?

I've never had a problem with the Alt+F10 screenshots before (in PG and solo) but in the last two weeks or so they're just not saving to the default location and I can't find them anywhere? Anyone have any ideas as to why it's suddenly stopped saving the images? Some brilliant shots I've lost entirely because I took them in a random system and then travelled thousands of LYs away before closing the game and going to find my screenshots to see they're not there.

I've never had a problem with the Alt+F10 screenshots before (in PG and solo) but in the last two weeks or so they're just not saving to the default location and I can't find them anywhere? Anyone have any ideas as to why it's suddenly stopped saving the images? Some brilliant shots I've lost entirely because I took them in a random system and then travelled thousands of LYs away before closing the game and going to find my screenshots to see they're not there.
Check the folder. Maybe it's been switched to read-only. Windows update did that to me once. Also (but that's probably not the case but still) check the available space, or simply move the existing screenshots from that folder somewhere else.
I was doing some screenshots yesterday and it worked fine for me. I'm in Odyssey, though. If you play Horizons, it could have been borked up there like quite a few other things.

Check the folder. Maybe it's been switched to read-only. Windows update did that to me once. Also (but that's probably not the case but still) check the available space, or simply move the existing screenshots from that folder somewhere else.
I was doing some screenshots yesterday and it worked fine for me. I'm in Odyssey, though. If you play Horizons, it could have been borked up there like quite a few other things.
Every time I try to take the folder out of "read only" it instantly puts it back into that state, so I changed the root folder to be not "read only" and its immediately set everything back to "read only" and I have no idea why.

I'm playing in Odyssey also and it's only started doing this recently

Windows man...
I hope that somebody experienced in dealing with Windows shenanigans will notice this, because I have no idea what I would do in such case.
I suppose you have the sufficient administrator rights? Other than that... no idea. Sorry.

Although I did just read up on that a little and apparently the "read only" tick box has two functionalities. If it's ticked, it means it's in "read only" mode. And in that case uuticking it should work.
If the tick box has a black square inside instead, it means that something inside the folder is "read only" and you won't be able to get rid of it until you find that "read only" thing and untick that one specifically.
Yeah... Not really sure how helpful this is.

edit: also, don't get too hung up on this idea. It may be a totally unrelated thing. Many times we suspect something grand is at play while in fact the problem is caused by something relatively stupid. Like your ALT key being stuck or something. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck

edit 2: If you're not successful in a reasonable amount of time, filing a support ticket could be your best course of action. Not sure if the support is still dealing with the backlog of issues caused by the Odyssey launch, but eventually they should be able to help you. Hopefully. Maybe.

Last edited:
Although I did just read up on that a little and apparently the "read only" tick box has two functionalities. If it's ticked, it means it's in "read only" mode. And in that case uuticking it should work.
If the tick box has a black square inside instead, it means that something inside the folder is "read only" and you won't be able to get rid of it until you find that "read only" thing and untick that one specifically.
the black box always appears even if the folder is completely empty, not even any hidden files. its one of those "features" thats been around since before winXP

possible reasons why the ALT+F10 dosent work

• Geforce experience is capturing the keypress the link bellow tells what it does - this is the most likely scenario
  • something else is capturing alt+f10 https://defkey.com/what-means/alt-f10
  • some people have suggested alt+f10 only works in solo mode

Last edited:
Have you tried reinstalling Windows? ;)

In my case the screenshots ended up in the pictures folder recently. Before that it was in a different folder I can't remember anymore (Appdata something AFAIR). You could try and search for "HighResScreen*", but the search function in Win10 sucks, like many other features that are seriously broken, joysticks preventing display to sleep to name one that has been an issue for (many) years. M$ don't seem to care. We all buy windows anyhows, because Mac is too expensive and most lives are too short for Linux syntax.

Top Bottom