Engineers High Yield Shell - Still Not Worth It In 3.3.03 IMO

Engineered some long-range cannons and decided to give the High Yield Shell experimental a new try after the slight recent de-nerf. The damage penalty is still a hefty 35% combined with a 10% decrease of fire rate. Inara suggests a 25% increase of armour piercing, which is 100% fake news. The numbers in EDSY and Coriolis (only fire rate reduced by 10%) are missing the damage penalty and thus are completely wrong.

Tried them at several pirate lords. My verdict for the time being is: still forget High Yield Shell. There was no apparent splash damage of several modules and hull always desintegrated way earlier. I don't know if Thermal Cascade is still a thing at least for PvP, Dispersal Field sounds somewhat useful, but when in doubt simply go with Oversized.

I'm happy to hear your experiences with High Yield Shell, especially in case I might have missed something.

Tried them at several pirate lords.

What ships were these in? Big ships generally have widely spread internals which makes them quite resistant to splash damage. This is compounded by few NPCs having the hull integrity for module depleting attacks to be significantly more effective that just destroying the hull.

HYS still has utility in PvP against small and medium hybrid or shieldless vessels, which tend to have closely clustered subsystems and enormous amounts of hull relative to module integrity.

As for other mods, thermal cascade is virtually pointless now, but dispersal and force shell are quite popular, and with good reason (though the later is not really a PvE mod).

Does HYS work against thrusters or do I shoot myself in the space feet by using them for my pirate vessel to kill running ship's said thrusters?

Does HYS work against thrusters or do I shoot myself in the space feet by using them for my pirate vessel to kill running ship's said thrusters?

They can certainly damage thrusters, but the effect is not particularly conducive to sniping specific modules. They are mostly for chewing through MRP protection with splash damage and causing multiple cumulative malfunctions.

Cannon in general are good for pirates because they have both high breach chance and high proportion of breach damage, making it more likely that the bulk of the damage you do is to a module. However, unless the ship is very small, HYS will often just reduce your damage when targeting thrusters specifically.

I recently grabbed what I already had engineered in storage and ended up with 2 Cytos and a couple HYS mediums on a Cobra that really only sees PVE combat when interdicted on missions, and while I can give no other detailed insights or comparisons, I can state with total conviction there is splash damage across multiple modules from my observations using them against PP then scrolling through and seeing other modules at reduced percentage.

I say nay. You need too many shots.Cannons would need double the current ammo for it to be worthwhile again. Reducing damage and splash radius was just an overnerf, and even dialing back the damage reduction somewhat doesn't cure that.

Gotcha. ’Tis a goddamn shame, as I really liked the idea of HE shells, and module wrecking. Oh well, I guess auto loader it is, then.

Asked a fellow CMDR his opinion. The way he sees it is that as nothing seems to affect breach damage, and as cannon have a minimum hull breach chance of 60% (which will only go up), it really is of secondary importance how much hull damage the cannon inflict. Most of your shells will be causing internal damage, and high yield is good for that.

Are you confusing HYS with Force Shell perchance?

Sorry, its too early in the morning! Yes. Deleted it for being stupid. Now that I've had more coffee HYS is an odd beast, because it can get too OP on small ships or those with closely packed modules, or be totally ineffectual on large ships with spaced apart modules.

Last edited:
Top Bottom