Hippo Conundrum

Hello all.

Made myself a nice elevated hippo habitat however the water won't clean, I had one water pump in range but now I've put two more and it still won't get clean, keep getting notifications that it's at risk of disease. Wanted to know if it's just me? And if anyone has a solution?

Don't know if this helps...

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
The most probable reason your cleanliness level is decreasing is because sometimes poo gets stuck underneath the animal's shelter (it happened to me as well and other people). Try relocating the shelter, wait for the keeper to clean it and then put it back.
Oh.. Apologies, I thought it may be a bug so thought it best to put it in feedback, my bad.
Ok. I can move it back then.
Moved back to Feedback.

I have a similar situation with a larger body of water that alternates between being green and blue depending on the alignment of the stars or something.

It's a bug. There's a report in the issue tracker here. Seems like the only solution for the moment is to remove natural water sources, but that's not possible in career modes (so then your best bet is to research the diseases to keep it from happening every three minutes).

Last edited:
No this isn't the poop issue. That just makes it so the water can't get fully clean ever.

This is something else where the water is only sometimes cleaned by the filter. If it was the poop issue then it wouldn't be able to get clean yet it sometimes does.

That and mine is very shallow and I've already both inspected it for poop (I can't believe I just said that) as well as removed it, cleaned, and re-added it.

Its like the water filter just every now and then gets weaker or something.

Ah, my mistake. I remembered reading some people saying that sometimes it would sort itself out (assuming the filter would eventually take care of it), but then it'd go back to being infected again, so I made the assumption that they were both the same problem.

I do know from the help section that "Once a water treatment facility's efficiency reaches 50%, its effective radius will start to shrink. This may mean that they stop cleaning water bodies." But I don't suppose that's the issue you guys are having? I know I used to place the filter's radius right on the edge of the water, but I'm going to have to stop doing that when given a choice. 😅

I don't think I've had this problem yet, but I'll chime in if that changes.

This happened to me too. I have no idea why.

Eventually I moved those animals to a different part of the zoo and built a new pond and now I don't have issues.

I agree it must be a bug. The only way I could deal with it was to constantly drain the water and refill it myself.

Ah, my mistake. I remembered reading some people saying that sometimes it would sort itself out (assuming the filter would eventually take care of it), but then it'd go back to being infected again, so I made the assumption that they were both the same problem.

I do know from the help section that "Once a water treatment facility's efficiency reaches 50%, its effective radius will start to shrink. This may mean that they stop cleaning water bodies." But I don't suppose that's the issue you guys are having? I know I used to place the filter's radius right on the edge of the water, but I'm going to have to stop doing that when given a choice. 😅

I don't think I've had this problem yet, but I'll chime in if that changes.
So this I think was my problem. I didn't realize that as they got more "worn" their radius shrunk. The water system for this bit of water is often fallign apart (for some reason my mechanics dont' like to repair this exact one) and I noticed last night that its radius had shrunk to not include the water anymore.

Yeah, I only found that bit when I was trying to figure out why I was dealing with the diseased lake in the center of the fifth scenario. I thought maybe I needed more filters since it was such a huge body of water, but I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. Found the effective radius bit instead. Glad you were able to find what was causing the problem.

Top Bottom