Hit a brick wall in training

...A quick note about me: coming from flight simulators I consider myself a highly competent pilot, I can think quickly on all 6 axes...
And therein may lie the problem. I've seen quite a few flight simulator veterans oblivious to this obvious manoeuvre. The only significant tactic missing from your list is
Flying backwards. While engaged in jostling for position, engines reverse can actually give you faster turn times and longer ToT.

Good luck Commander.

Last edited:
You are missing the point, commander.
Incursion: Competent scenario is ED's Kobayashi Maru.
Ha! But there's a couple more after (Incursion Master and Elite I think), if it was the Kobayashi then there wouldn't be any more after it...:p

And therein may lie the problem. I've seen quite a few flight simulator veterans oblivious to this obvious manoeuvre. The only significant tactic missing from your list is
Flying backwards. While engaged in jostling for position, engines reverse can actually give you faster turn times and longer ToT.

Good luck Commander.
Ah! Well that's one to try...:unsure:, I do have full reverse engines on the pedals so should be quite easy to attempt it! Cheers!

Hello community! First time poster long time player here. I've played Elite for years and have almost Elite rating in everything except combat, which I generally avoid since I lost a very expensive ship many years ago. Since the last update (the one where they included the training scenarios), I've been diligently practicing every level, up till competent where I just can't get behind or defeat the 1st ship.

A quick note about me: coming from flight simulators I consider myself a highly competent pilot, I can think quickly on all 6 axes. I play with a HOTAS and I'm relatively good at changing power settings as the need arises. I can use flight assist off fairly well and if the ship actually performs better, but for the most part I just use it to turn or for smooth landings.

The problem: Every time I sit down to play I will spend a couple of hours on the combat scenarios first before jumping into the actual game. I can finish all the scenarios with 100% shields and zero damage very easily and I can mostly stay on 6 on all enemy ships, the Type 9 being the hardest one. But when I reach the Incursion: Competent scenario, I cannot for the life of me get behind the baddie! I've tried:
  1. All power to Engines as soon as it passes me
  2. Boosting to get into position
  3. Flight assist Off to try to turn faster
  4. several combinations of the above
  5. pitching and strafing
  6. Yaw and strafe
  7. roll, pitch and strafe
  8. Pitch with with FA Off
  9. Pitch with FA Off and strafe
  10. Jousting with all power to shields and the rest to weapons, then swapping to engines when it passes
In all cases I end up dead with the baddie still having most of it's shields and facing me. I even watched a Youtube video of somebody doing it and replicated every movement: Engine at 108, as soon as it passes all power to engines, then once in target swap to Balance and give it hell! But I cannot get my ship to turn like his/her. By the time I have it in view it's facing me and shooting it's whole arsenal at me (missiles, lasers, etc.). The only thing I haven't tried is playing with a mouse and keyboard because I am terrible at trying to fly like that, but it really seems like my ship cannot turn fast enough or at least not like in that video.

If any of you have managed to get through even one ship on this particular scenario I would love to hear some tips if you would be so obliged! And also, am I alone in thinking that the level difference between Incursion: Mostly Harmless and Incursion: Competent is HUGE? Finally, have any of you tried mouse/keyboard versus HOTAS, does it make a difference in terms of turn rate?

I truly appreciate any thoughts!
Lol... so i just bought this game the other day, after seeing it from a far for a while, i decided to go for it being on sale with dlc for $14.

still haven't even officially started the game because of the incursion:competent training sim. lol the farthest so far that I have gotten their health down was like 38% or so. Also i don't fully understand the loadout of the ship i'm using either. it seems i have was having more success with the gatling guns, though my laser aim has improved for sure.

I'm not so big on flight sims, so i don't have the hotas setup, but i do consider myself a pretty "competent" gamer having about 20 whole years of gaming under my belt.
so while this training sim has really improved my skill it is quite a friken doozy x D

Lol... so i just bought this game the other day, after seeing it from a far for a while, i decided to go for it being on sale with dlc for $14.

still haven't even officially started the game because of the incursion:competent training sim. lol the farthest so far that I have gotten their health down was like 38% or so. Also i don't fully understand the loadout of the ship i'm using either. it seems i have was having more success with the gatling guns, though my laser aim has improved for sure.

I'm not so big on flight sims, so i don't have the hotas setup, but i do consider myself a pretty "competent" gamer having about 20 whole years of gaming under my belt.
so while this training sim has really improved my skill it is quite a friken doozy x D
Welcome to the Galaxy, Commander, and to the Forums ! :)

thanks! i'm streaming this very training mission if you wanna watch me bang my newby skilled head against competent glass like some idiot fly!

Good times for sure!
  • Well remember that lasers are for shields and guns for hull, they both do some damage to the other but to a lesser extent.
  • It's taken me 8 months (granted I only play weekends and not even all of them) to get to the last baddie! Last time I got there with full shields and hull. but somehow it still beat me...😢
  • I don't watch live streaming, but if you have uploaded it/them I'd love to watch! Send the link!

I'm having trouble just getting behind the first one. I've favorited the video above of the perfect run and i've been trying to replicate it, by getting through them all without losing hardly any shields.

this is going to take me a while... : (

Top Bottom