Newcomer / Intro Hit a Brick Wall With Engineering

This is a subjective observation, but it seems that the RNG for Dav's Hope tends to maintain within the game.

When I am not getting Chemical Manipulators after multiple runs, I find that, instead of relog, if I quit the game and restart, the loot table changes.

Nowadays I only get frustrated at places like Dav’s Hope is when there is nothing dropping there that I have space for, which just means it is time to go back to a Materials Trader and swap things around.
I tend to try and have a little space in all the bins so I don’t get that frustration, that levelling things out also means I am seldom too desperate to find one particular item.

I realise of course this is much easier to achieve after a longer time in the game.

@C64Fan
Last evening I tried relogging after each circuit at Dev's hope. I am not terribly fast at the SRV in a built up area lark so I allowed 60 minutes rather than the 30 you mentioned. I didn't count the number of circuits perhaps I should have done. However, the number of Chemical Manipulators collected was zero, not a single, solitary one. I read somewhere that Dev's hope was de-tuned by the devs as it was too productive, perhaps this is why our experiences of the wretched place are so different.

So it looks like I am going to have to start combat. It will be the first time I will have put weapons on any of my ships since 2017, maybe 2017. A sham,e to break the record but if one is to progress in engineering there seems no other choice.

@d8veh
Do I really need such a beefed up Python? It does seem a tad excessive to have such a big, expensive ship but equip it with such small weapons and leave much of the internal space empty.
If you dont like combat, DONT do it.

Like others have said, just farming imperial shielding from HGEs is enough to fill the G5 bins.

Yingnei Gasua,

My dear old porpoise, farming HGEs for imperial shielding may work in terms of filling G6 bins. However, in my case there are certain contraindicators; I don't like farming of anything, I have no idea what a HGE is or where to find one, similarly imperial shielding is not something I heard of outside this thread. So, you advice is appreciated but not, I am sorry to say, likely to be followed.

On another note, last evening I did 20 circuits at Dev's Hope. After a series of blanks I came right out of the game to reset the RNG then things did pick up with a total of 8 Chemical Manipulators collected with two circuits yielding two each and four with singletons. More like C64Fan suggested I should be getting, if not quite there. A dreadfully tedious way of spending time though.

It's boring, grindy, and you may not even need it unless you're going for PvP.

If you feel like dropping your SRV on a planet for a change of pace, then by all means do so.

Otherwise give mat hunting the middle finger.

In my humble opinion.

Yingnei Gasua,

My dear old porpoise, farming HGEs for imperial shielding may work in terms of filling G6 bins. However, in my case there are certain contraindicators; I don't like farming of anything, I have no idea what a HGE is or where to find one, similarly imperial shielding is not something I heard of outside this thread. So, you advice is appreciated but not, I am sorry to say, likely to be followed.

On another note, last evening I did 20 circuits at Dev's Hope. After a series of blanks I came right out of the game to reset the RNG then things did pick up with a total of 8 Chemical Manipulators collected with two circuits yielding two each and four with singletons. More like C64Fan suggested I should be getting, if not quite there. A dreadfully tedious way of spending time though.
HGE = High Grade Emissions source one of the things that USSs (Unknown Signal Sources) resolve into.

Yingnei Gasua,

Well, 20 circuits of Dev's Hope. That is farming isn't it?

But seriously, HGEs, you dont even have to do the relog. There are enough of them in all the populated/busy systems you come across in your travels, you could do them one at a time and whenever you feel like it when you see it.

When I decide I will go for HGEs I swap ships to one of my Orcas which is equipped with all sorts of stuff including collector, repair and fuel limpets but no weapons.
Next I will start visiting systems and FSSing them for their USSs, when I spot HGEs I head for it at speed if it is reachable before it expires*.
Once I have collected everything I will head for the next HGE, if there are non left at that point I will visit Encoded or Degraded Emissions sources which provide similar materials though of lower grade however there is usually a beacon to scan for encoded data at an Encoded Emissions source.
For variety, while I wait to see what replacements appear I will do a little good deeding and see if I can help any Distress Calls. Threat 0 stuff only as that Orca is not built for a fight.

*USSs have a maximum life of about 30 minutes from when they spawn, when they expire another one will usually appear somewhere else in the system but not nece

Next I will start visiting systems and FSSing them for their USSs, .......

I prefer to scan the Nav Beacon - then on going back to SC I can see if there are any HGE and check durations and locations if there are multiples. Often after visiting these HGEs, on entering SC I get the new SS detected and on the nav screen I see a new HGE. I don't know if this is supposed to always be how it works if you scan the Nav Beacon but I was surprised to see a new HGE without having to scan for it.

It's boring, grindy, and you may not even need it unless you're going for PvP.
Sounds about right. The only reason I got into this sorry saga was Para Handy, gentleman of this parish, who, for years, has been saying how good the Python is so I bought one and found that in galatic terms it had enough jump range to get to the end of the street. So that led me to engineering which in turn has led me to this search/grind for level 5 materials.

I started playing this game long before there were engineers and I have avoided them, along with limpets, since they were introduced. I hadn't put a gun on one of my ships either; though in my first play through I became something of a fighter ace - I built myself up to use a Vulture and was the scourge of the Long-Ri systems (that was when Vultures had real energy issues, men were real men and sheep were nervous).

So once I get my key ships up to level 5 FSD, I shall drop the whole engineering/mat thing. Combat though, I might take another look at. It has changed a lot since my day but I am beginning to like the idea of flashing around in a Mamba or using a federal assault ship as a battering ram, "Your cargo or your life! Er... no, wait! Can't we talk about this?" WHAM! Silence.

It most certainly was farming and I did not enjoy it. The only reason I did it was to see how my experience compared with that posted by @C54Fan. My thanks to @aRJay for posting how to deal with the HGE thingies, I'll give them a go.

Firstly, don't listen to Para.*

Secondly, limpets are great if there's any chance you'll bounty hunt or go on a black box mission. I only have 32 tons of cargo space but I keep six on hand at any one time.

*Joking. Always listen to Para.

Top Bottom