HO to BP a sematically interesting expedition

So here I am, 3,439ly from BP, 63,944ly from HO, and a first for me, the first person to find Anemones in The Abyss!

vmYLEqT.jpg

Three large bodies, over 2g, a B class star, and unlike my last lot, not a single ringed body among them.

I expect to reach BP on my next run, fly safe all!

o7

Well I know you are all waiting, and here it is, The Long Way Home at Beagle Point;

zVa09io.jpg

teoBhPY.jpg

The paint job suffered but you can still see the name, must be made of much harder stuff, I wonder why they don't paint the ship with it :rolleyes:

Still I have made it with 80% hull left, no more nasty accidents.

My route here;

yfRPCFq.png

It's obviously not a straight line, in fact it's so much not a straight line that when I checked the distance I had traveled while a couple of jumps away it told me I had traveled 98,889ly to get to where I was, and that just wouldn't do! You all know me by now and you probably already know what I did, I spent an added half a day checking out the local systems before doing the final jump to BP, so my total distance traveled to get from HO to BP was 100,060ly, much better. :D

Here's what I did, some of it's a bit misleading because it says I only landed 19 times but there are many times I flew down to bodies to scan bio and geo but didn't actually set down, that number should probably be three or four times that for nearly landed, and of course the scan value doesn't include first discovery, so most of them, but it gives you an idea.

a3j0uwz.png

Here's a more detailed break down of the scans, bodies followed by stars;

4pPunCB.png

UsCEOwM.png

So that was HO to BP successfully completed. :cool:

I've flown on since then, I am now set down at Semotus Beacon ready to head back towards Colonia, I would like to try and rendezvous with DW2 at some stage, but given how dangerous it seems to be around that lot it will be after I sell my data.

Fly safe all, unless anyone has any questions or comments this may be my last post here.

o7

Last edited:
A great read and some very interesting stuff :)-
to an outsider this trip seems to have been pretty rapid for all the stuff you have found and the distance covered.
Safe journey back …

A great read and some very interesting stuff :)-
to an outsider this trip seems to have been pretty rapid for all the stuff you have found and the distance covered.
Safe journey back …

Thank you. Yes it was quite fast, I think I even surprised myself sometimes with the distance I was covering so quickly, I never expected it to be 100kly to get to BP. Mind you I took a few shortcuts and didn't bother mapping all the ELW, WW and other valuable bodies I found but I certainly mapped any bodies with bio and dropped down to every one to enter them into the codex, oh yes and I mapped the twins, they were special. I think claims that the new FSS would slow or even end long distance exploration were highly exaggerated, it actually made very little difference to the speed I traveled. I am now heading across the top of the galaxy intending to come back towards Colonia in a huge circle so it may be a while before I get back.

Fly safe

o7

Well I'm back, it seems the Narativium isn't quite exhausted on this one!

All I had to do was turn the nose towards Colonia and hand in the data....

All I had to do was turn the nose towards Colonia....

All I had to do was....

But what about those bookmarks over there? It would seem a pity not to check them out while I am here, they're only 20kly around the galaxy, then I could....no, no I couldn't....narativium demands it, there's only one suitable ending for this expedition, and that's to continue around the galaxy in a loop and end up at Hutton Orbital to turn in my data, no other ending would do, so there will be more to tell on this little jaunt of mine.

So stand by Hutton Orbital Truckers, I will be back to settle that outstanding bar tab after all!

Fly safe everyone, the story continues......

o7

"... and that's to continue around the galaxy in a loop …"

I am heading in the opposite direction, so maybe we will meet somewhere in 'Hieronymus Delta'.

Still jealous of the lone ELW binary ;)

Not going into any details here because they aren't my finds, and none of the bodies have discovered tags which I thought strange until I checked the dates on the codex entries, 5 days before my arrival

So am i getting this right, the codex is telling everybody what you discovered even before you hand it in?

So am i getting this right, the codex is telling everybody what you discovered even before you hand it in?

Codex entries appear immediately and are visible to all players, so other players could indeed dash out, "discover" the bodies and get back before the original finder does to turn the data in, but they can't get the codex discoveries because they are already recorded under the finders name.

Last edited:
So time for an update, no interesting pictures because I seem to have flown into a galactic desert. In retrospect it was a mistake, but many things are in retrospect. My next way point was an old bookmark around 19kly away in the direction I am traveling around the galaxy, so, just point at it and go right........?

The stars started to thin out after a while, it got so bad I started to use jumponium every second or third jump. All the systems I was seeing were undiscovered, which is good, but it also meant no one else had made it out here, and maybe for a reason, what if the stars thinned out so much I could no longer go forward or any direction except back. Now I'm not normally one for not pushing the limits, but not this trip.

I changed course for a bookmark I had about 4kly towards Sag A*, from there I should be able to steer a course directly towards my original bookmark. After jumping across a few large gaps with premium jumponium I suddenly found a lot of explored systems, but no mapped bodies at all, explorers who came this way long ago before jumponium, engineering and Guardian tech extended our jump ranges, I had been further out at this edge of the rim than all the old timers!

When I get out of the desert and find something interesting I will be back to report.

Fly safe all.

o7

Last edited:
After much traveling and little to see I can only conclude that my chosen course passes very little of interest, even concentrating on high possibility stars such as B and O have revealed little of interest. My original course was along the border of The Abyss, just outside the Formorian Frontier, but as reported above stars got a little to thin for my liking, so I set course towards Sag A* to one of my old bookmarks 4kly in. That turned out to be of little interest so I did a right angle turn and headed through the middle of the Frontier towards the Hieronymus Delta, still finding little of interest, the best I can come up with for this part of the trip is a couple of novelty system maps;

That's a lot of stars

W3dQZqj.jpg

And this one, that poor little terraformable world sitting out there all by itself, I am putting this forward as the next project of the Galactic Terraforming Department, it must be done!

hSPQJHX.jpg

Fly safe all, only around another 100kly to go here.

o7

"... and that's to continue around the galaxy in a loop …"

I am heading in the opposite direction, so maybe we will meet somewhere in 'Hieronymus Delta'.

Still jealous of the lone ELW binary ;)

I have broached the Heironymus Delta, jumping from Neutron star to O type to Hebig AeBe, to try and increase my chances of encountering phenomena, however no luck so far, and it's surprising even this far out how many O class stars have already been visited. I have set my course to the only nebula in the Delta and expect to be there in a day, if you are in the area it would indeed be nice to meet up and this nebula, being the only landmark (galaxymark?), seems a good spot.

The other reason for the nebula is of course that no NSP have been reported yet for the Delta, and this seems like a good candidate. No doubt every body will have been mapped since it does stand out in the awful emptiness, the emptiness....(holds hand out for beer) but I have seen very few mapped bodies in the Delta even for high value targets already discovered so I have hopes it has yet to be examined in this new age of discovery.

Last edited:
And so after a day of excitement and good fun had by all we depart the the sunny shores of the planets of the Thueche AA-A H16 Nebula, having found many, many planets and moons bearing that well known life form the Bark Mound, close to 20 bodies after having checked a good three quarters of the stars in a not particularly large nebula. There was alas nothing else, no NSP I was hoping for, so I set course towards the further reaches of the Delta where the stars grow thinner and a couple of interesting systems beckon. There appear to be no more nebula in this region so I can only continue to check neutron stars and O and B class systems for something interesting.

Now 131kly on this trip of mine, a to hasty approach to one of the bodies in the nebula scraped another layer of paint from my hull so I am now down to 79%, but that's still good.

Fly safe all.

o7

Last edited:
After much traveling and little to see I can only conclude that my chosen course passes very little of interest, even concentrating on high possibility stars such as B and O have revealed little of interest. My original course was along the border of The Abyss, just outside the Formorian Frontier, but as reported above stars got a little to thin for my liking, so I set course towards Sag A* to one of my old bookmarks 4kly in. That turned out to be of little interest so I did a right angle turn and headed through the middle of the Frontier towards the Hieronymus Delta, still finding little of interest, the best I can come up with for this part of the trip is a couple of novelty system maps;

Forgive my ignorance, I am quite obsessed with galactic regions and the galactic map, but lately on the forums I am hearing all the regions I am completely unfamiliar with. So first, what is the Formorian Frontier and the Hieronymus Delta? Where are they? But most importantly where do we find a resource for these named regions because they do not appear on the GMP.

Btw love your journey

Forgive my ignorance, I am quite obsessed with galactic regions and the galactic map, but lately on the forums I am hearing all the regions I am completely unfamiliar with. So first, what is the Formorian Frontier and the Hieronymus Delta? Where are they? But most importantly where do we find a resource for these named regions because they do not appear on the GMP.

Btw love your journey

Fortunately EDSM has an online version of the Codex, very useful indeed. Basically The Abyss, Formorian Frontier and Hieronymus Delta are all at the far side of the galaxy from the bubble, I am currently around 56kly from Sol and heading outwards to the far side of the Delta.

https://www.edsm.net/en/codex

So check the map linked above, click on the area at the very top of the map, that will be the Formorian Frontier, the sector to the right is The Abyss where Beagle Point and the even further Semotus Beacon are located, the furthest you can get from Sol, to the left of the Frontier is the Delta. After the Delta I will enter the Outer Scutum-Centaurus Arm and around the galaxy that way to the bubble. The bubble, on that map, is towards the bottom but not right down there, in the Inner Orion Spur. You can click on each region to see discoveries, I have a couple listed there but that's not really my priority on this trip.

If you dig deeper there are more advanced tools for finding stuff I recommend just browsing around and experimenting.

Another interesting thing, while I wasn't the first to discover or confirm Bark Mounds in the area and so did not get a mention in the codex, a deeper search in the EDSM online codex actually shows systems that I was the first to discover that have Bark Mounds in Hieronymus Delta, so any scans we make of life and other stuff in game for the codex, whether the appear in the in game codex or not are actually being logged and recorded and made searchable by EDSM.

So for instance this system appeared on a search for Bark Mound locations in the Hieronymus Delta;

bvBh0Pe.png

It's been my habit to scan at least one bio source on each body with bio signals, now that I know it's searchable it makes it even more important, it gives us the ability to take that data and impose it on the galaxy map to look for patterns.

Last edited:
Ah thank you! I didn't realize the were regions in game that were in addition to the GMP regions in game... I will have to look deeper into this - as I have been in bubble and on dw2 since 3.4 dropped. Thanks for the explanation!

Ah thank you! I didn't realize the were regions in game that were in addition to the GMP regions in game... I will have to look deeper into this - as I have been in bubble and on dw2 since 3.4 dropped. Thanks for the explanation!

For purposes only they know FDEV added 42 new regions to the game when they introduced the Codex, personally I would have done it differently but it's not my game so I don't have that much of a say in what they do :D

You will find some of these areas have used names of already familiar sectors, and some entirely new names, I think there was a thread somewhere from a CMDR who plotted the shortest possible route to pass through every one of the new regions, I haven't seen his thread in a while so I don't know how he is going, he should be well finshed by now. But there they are, 42 new regions for us.

I have broached the Heironymus Delta, jumping from Neutron star to O type to Hebig AeBe, to try and increase my chances of encountering phenomena, however no luck so far, and it's surprising even this far out how many O class stars have already been visited. I have set my course to the only nebula in the Delta and expect to be there in a day, if you are in the area it would indeed be nice to meet up and this nebula, being the only landmark (galaxymark?), seems a good spot.

The other reason for the nebula is of course that no NSP have been reported yet for the Delta, and this seems like a good candidate. No doubt every body will have been mapped since it does stand out in the awful emptiness, the emptiness....(holds hand out for beer) but I have seen very few mapped bodies in the Delta even for high value targets already discovered so I have hopes it has yet to be examined in this new age of discovery.

Somehow I missed this post - sorry :eek:
After some utterly useless flying, whilst trying the scan various bio objects, my hull is now 30% and I have decided my shields are no good for this type of exploring (well with my track record!) so I am heading back to Colonia, and maybe the Bubble to refit.
So, fly safely :)

Somehow I missed this post - sorry :eek:
After some utterly useless flying, whilst trying the scan various bio objects, my hull is now 30% and I have decided my shields are no good for this type of exploring (well with my track record!) so I am heading back to Colonia, and maybe the Bubble to refit.
So, fly safely :)

That's ok, hull here is still at 79% so I am soldiering on, maybe next time we are both out this way we can have a meetup.

Top Bottom