Newcomer / Intro Home System - All You Wanted To Know or Say About Them

Being new to the game I am still confused by the concept of a Home System. If everyone could write anything they can about home systems to help me understand this concept I would appreciate it. For example.. I flew all the way out to the latest CG to help deliver booze to the Dionysus construction project but at some point along the way got too close to a star, my cargo door broke and my precious cargo fell out and evaporated leaving me empty on my way out to the system. Now, I am there ... floating around wondering what the heck to do because there are nothing but empty star systems around... and thought maybe I should make this my new home system.. but I don't know why or what a home system is or does for me or even what I should do to make a system my 'home system'. Any conversation to get my head into the game would be greatly appreciated.

A home system is simply your base of operations. It's somewhere to keep all your ships and modules together. You can rank up your reputation with all the mission giving factions and therefore get better paying missions. Maybe you support a faction and make the system your faction operate out of your home system. Good home systems have good outfitting stations, with lots of varied missions and access to other such systems. You don't want to be in the middle of empty systems really.

You don't have to have a home system, but there are advantages. Or you could just wander the galaxy wherever your next mission happens to take you.

Last edited:
As Aiken says, the main benefits are increasing your reputation with the minor factions in that and surrounding systems which results in more lucrative missions being offered to you and having one place to keep your fleet and module storage is convenient.

So choice of home system can be dependant on for example: distance of station(s) from arrival; outfitting provision; types of economies in the vicinity; populations; major faction allegiances and of course availability of discounts.

Last edited:
As Aiken says, the main benefits are increasing your reputation with the minor factions in that and surrounding systems which results in more lucrative missions being offered to you and having one place to keep your fleet and module storage is convenient.

So choice of home system can be dependant on for example: distance of station(s) from arrival; outfitting provision; types of economies in the vicinity; populations; major faction allegiances and of course availability of discounts.

Unless some players come by and mess up the BGS....

Unless some players come by and mess up the BGS....

You can then transfer your ships and stored modules to another station. The fact that a station might have it's shipyard and outfitting shut-down does not lock your stuff out of reach.

You could of course add "make sure no black market" to help re UA bombing etc I suppose. ;)

Sadly there is not a real home system mechanic in the game.

A proposal I did a while ago:

Marking a system as home system.
---------------------------------
- Commanders can mark a system as a home system.
- Cmdrs can only mark a system as a home system when they are allied.
- You can only mark one at a time and only change home systems once per 3 months (just throwing it out there, could also be 6 months or 12).
- A system that is marked as a home system will always stay allied.
- A system that is marked home system will get a special marker in the star map.

Possible Advantages:
--------------------
- You get discounts there (perhaps 10%). People know you. Like you. Treat you better.
- You get better missions, better pay-outs, better rewards. People know you. Like you. Treat you better.
- Moving ships to your homesystem costs 10% or perhaps 20% less
- Your fines are lower (perhaps?).
- If you are attacked in a homesystem the authorities will respond much quicker to help you out.
- Bounty pay-outs are a littlebit higher.
- Exploration pay-outs are might be a little bit higher.

Other stuff:
-----------
- When you commit crimes in your home system, you will lose your special status and you will have to work to get it back.

- Also commanders are greeted with lines to make you feel like you are returning to you home "Welcome home cmdr". "Long time no see", "Glad you are back", "Let's have a drink soon", "Shall we hook up tonight" and stuff like that.

I have had many home systems. Main requirements are :
1) Close to the Main Star
2) Half decent outfitting

The rest is just up to you. I would recommend NOT doing a lot of Bounty Hunting in your home system, when the Pirates get hostile, it becomes a bit of a pain doing other things. Bounty hunt in a near by system, and generally "dont mess on your own doorstep"

You don't have to have just one home system. For example you could have one in the territory of each super power and move between them regularly. A change of scenery can be very refreshing from time to time. And if your current home system goes into lockdown you can move to another home system and still have the benefits of a good reputation.

o7

TWitko

Banned
there is no real home system for me, until I'll find station with beer on tap ...
hope BEYOND upgrade will bring this feature. Otherwise I'd have to leave this game and ask for refund :)

o7 TW

Don't ask what your home system does for you, ask what you can do for your home system.

"Home system" is wherever you park your ship. There's no real in-game benefit from calling any system your home system. If you've spent some time in a system and ranked up your reputation with the local factions, you'll get better paid missions, that's about all. If you join a player group (or find a remote little system of your own), you can play the BGS and put your chosen faction in power in that system. For some people, it's a place to park their ships.

So it's also about as varied what you chose as criteria for your home system. Some people don't want a black market, since that enables other peopple to UA bomb a station. Other people insist on a black market, since that enables them to sell stolen goods. Some people want a large population system, since these tend to offer more goods and services. Others want a small system, since these make it easier to play with the BGS.

But regarding Ngalia. What makes you say that there are only empty systems around? EDDB lists 17 systems with 27 stations in a 30 ly radius, not counting the 5 stations in Ngalia itself. Although Liquor is pretty much sold out in the nearby systems. The nearest where there still seems to be some reasonable supply is Burbank Port in HIP 21559 (56 ly, if you can land on a medium pad) or Shukor Installation in Cocassetsa (62 ly, if you need a large pad).

After getting the Horizons upgrade I had some money left in my PS4 account, so I painted my Cobra in the colours of the Belgian flag.

Sometime later I on my way back from Maia I found a small system in the middle of nowhere, called Belgae, I was carrying a load of cartographic data so I could ally with them instantly.

These three little coincidences make it feel like my home system, although as others pointed out there's no real benefit to it, and little reason to go there.

Other then that I allied with the Alioth Independents, and Alioth was the first place I landed my ship, it is also a good place to make money, so that's the one I return to most often.

And for a while I used a base in one of the Lagrange systems, simply because it had a good selection of high tech hardware to upgrade my ship constantly, as long as needed.

The Sol system might feel like home to some, but never been there...

Last edited:
As others have said, there is no in-game way to designate a system as "your home system". It's fully imagination-powered. Or to put it another way, your "home system" is whichever system you happen to be pointing at when you point at a system and say "that's my home system". Some players have a "home system" because they store all their ships there (many call Founders World "home" because of the cheap one-stop-shop-everything-always-available outfitting); others care about the background simulation and the factions in a particular star system, so they call that system "home". For others, it's purely role-playing. My role-playing home-system is Arexack; I haven't been there in over a year.

The game does have a concept of "birth system", being the system you started the game in; if/when you die, and you can't afford to rebuy your ship, you are forced to go back to your birth system in a new free Sidewinder. However, there is no in-game way for you to alter your birth system, other than deleting your savegame and restarting the game from scratch in a different mode: like most other pre-Horizons PC players, I started in LHS 3447, but I hear you can start in Asellus Primus if you bought the game in Horizons. Birth-system has almost no effect on gameplay, though a wise player may wish to keep at least one of their ships parked near there, so that if they find themselves being forced to return to the planet of their birth, they will at least have a reasonably good ship there waiting for them.

Before ship transfers I was basing myself in Ix chosen for its reasonable location, being in Li Yong Rui territory, having a decent variety of ships and modules for sale, short cruise to the station and most of all an easy name to remember. I haven't been there in months as instead of dropping in to switch ships I use transfer nowadays and have ships scattered all over.

I've only been playing a few weeks, but my idea of a home system is one where I can keep an assortment of ships/modules, and one which has a couple of each type of RES sites, a good station with a good shipyard, and has a lot of systems reasonably close by for missions/trading as the mood strikes. I don't consider it permanent though, for instance the one I have now I picked because I wanted to farm Empire rank to get access to Imperial ships. I suspect my next goal is going to be to get access to Sol system, so I'll grab my DBX for a long trek to find a good system nearby. Once that's done I'm sure I'll head out for some other region - I get bored if I stay in any one place too long ;)

My ships are mostly scattered in a small area of Li Yong Rui's territory. There is a 15% discount in his area, a couple of systems with a really good stock of parts and a good mining system (Pristine Metallic with a station orbiting the ringed planet). That said I spend a lot of my time all over the bubble but I leave my ships here due to the good outfitting options and the discount.

Home is whichever station has the nicest air traffic controller at the time!

Along with a well-located place to store all your ships. I chose a non-descript system in the middle of Empire territory where I could continue to slowly rank up Imperial Navy rank, transfer ships cheaply all over the bubble, has several High/Haz RES and CZs. and is only a few jumps away from a high-tech LYR system.

Top Bottom