Honoring the Epic Ships of Elite – Followup & Continuation

My submission:
Quinn, DW-394, Beluga Liner, CMDR Red_Beard_98

Meet Quinn
View attachment 137111

Some of my notable achievements in this beautiful beast:
  • Obtaining Elite exploration rank
  • Completing DW2, over 200k ly of travel and my personal favorite accomplishment so far in the game
  • Assisted with building Explorers Achorage
  • Rescuing many stranded civilians from stations attacked by the Thargoids
While many of these accomplishment pale in comparison to others who have posted here (some truly amazing achievements from some posters here), Quinn has been one of my favorite ships to fly in this game and I sure this list of accomplishment will expand in the future. I find Beluga's to be one of the best looking ships in the game; there are many good looking ships though. Here are a couple more shots of this beauty doing her thing:

View attachment 137113
View attachment 137114

It was a bit hard to choose a ship to submit but I think I have enjoyed my time flying Quinn the most thus far. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 screenshots featuring this beauty, a very photogenic ship as well :)
One of the most underrated ships in the game. Yours is nice. :)

ISS Obscene Heap - 0T6-DW - Asp Explorer - CMDR JesusRocks1988

Notable achievements:
In service since 3301.
Three tours to the Formidine Rift, Sagittarius A* and Colonia.
Discovered the Formidine Rift Beta Site.
Obtained Elite in exploration.
Completed and survived Distant Worlds 2.
Currently conducting deep space research beyond the core.

With the forum updates we've had, I've noticed some of the links from the roster no longer correctly link to their corresponding submitted ship entry. I'll get around to correcting this soon.

Thanks for your patience.

o7

Cheers, Commander.

I added your ship to the roster. A very nice looking ship and pictures of it indeed.

Thanks for submitting it.

o7

Thank you!

You have a very nice Vulture there as well. I recently built an exploration Vulture but it's not really designed to fill a combat role; it does have 2 rail guns w/ plasma slug but with no shields I won't actually hang around for a fight! Nice to know there's other crazy people out there doing similar things. The Vulture has to be one of my favorite ships.

Winter Aurora - OBK-DW - Mamba - Cmdr Aeries Hunter

Notable achievements
Successfully completed DW2
Has its own codex entry in the Elysium Sector
Possibly the first Mamba to reach Beagle Point on the 4th March 2019
Jump range 39.19Ly with 508m/s cruise speed and 640m/s boost

Last edited:
Juliette - 24B-S1 - Adder - Cmdr 24B

dSGwKBK.png

After Cmdr Freebird fell out of favour in the bubble, he headed out to Colonia where he became Cmdr 13A.

Shortly afterwards his young apprentice Cmdr 24B obtained his pilots licence and headed out into the black with the aim of reaching Explorer Elite - without spending a single credit on fuel.
As soon as he had enough credits he ditched the cramped confines of a Sidewinder for the luxury of a larger ship, and so Juliette came into the picture.

Having reached Elite in Trade and Exploration, credits are plentiful and ships too, but Juliette is still the star of the fleet.

Notable acheivements:
  • Reached Elite Explorer without spending a single credit on fuel.
  • Participant in several expeditions, including Silly Ships
  • Mapped a new crossing to The Outer Arm Vacuus
Exploration build

Current build

The roster is now updated to include the previous two ship entry submissions and the roster listings should now all link to their corresponding entries correctly.

Cheers, Commanders, and thanks for your roster entry submissions.

o7

Added in a few pics in my ship entry for my brief visit to Jaques Station in Colonia to conclude Distant Worlds II. I think it was my third or fourth time there, but my first time visiting in The Ronin. I went there in Open to spice things up a bit and because I told someone I would just to prove a point. I had had a few drinks in celebration as well, so that was a bit of fun.

Nothing particularly remarkable to report. I only saw one other Commander show up on the radar and there was no interaction.

Cheers.

Edit: Oh, it looks like there were a couple of Commanders on the radar after all. The more you know... ;)

Last edited:
Surely there are more Commanders with ships they would like to submit for registration and entry here? I'd like to read about them. :)

Question, as I'm new to the forums: is there any kind of "necro thread" rule? Or, is it OK to add to this despite it being over 7 months old? Or has another one been created in its wake?

To answer your question, yes, but I've barely started, and with being only a week in, need a few more million credits before I can outfit my dream combat vessel. And if I had the friends, it'd involve a Federation Betrayal that'd destroy Starship One, OR working with both Alliance AND Federation, to try and create a truce (as absurd as that may sound).

But, since I don't have those friends, here's my placeholder. You don't have to feature this, as it's merely a dream as of this writing, but still. (Ahem)

Freedom's Beginning, AC 294, Cobra MkIII, CMDR Golden-Knight

Commander Golden-Knight

Ship tag: AC 294
Ship name: Freedom's Beginning
Claim-to-fame: Circumnavigated the Galaxy (Sol was the starting point, and the rule was to connect a ring of stars around the outer galaxy, ending back at Sol) using only a Cobra Mk3 and a Fuel Scoop (also it was literally his/my second ship, the first one being the loaned Sidewinder that every noob is entitled to).

I'd love to one day be "canonized", but I'm awfully addicted running errands for various space stations...still just a mere Petty Officer as of this writing, but one day, calling myself "Admiral" sounds mighty cool.

One thing that I AM aiming to do, though, is reach "The Mug" (my ship clocked out at over 1,700c by the time I made it halfway). That is my mere warm-up to becoming "The Magellan of Y3K." Right next to my home, it's definitely an hour or two of REAL time spent going in one direction. Luckily, I can find other ways to pass the time while I let this project cook in the background (such as me writing this right now, and reading the literal Wikipedia article about Ferdinand Magellan).

Freedom's Beginning.jpg

And while waiting for the real hour to pass, a little blurp on the lore of my character. (Ahem)

Commander Golden-Knight was born on Earth, but had to go many lightyears to achieve pilot certification. Earth had recovered from its many countless conflicts, and even with battle taking the galactic stage (albeit mostly confined to "The Bubble"), most of that period on the planet itself was peaceful.
The name Golden-Knight comes from a famous warrior (or infamous, depending on your sources, and their credibility or lack thereof), who began his dynasty back in the Third World War, as a key leader and "Secret Weapon" that saw the United States win - the very beginning to the "Butterfly Effect" that would directly lead to the founding of The Federation.
Upon reaching the stars, and having set out from the loaned Sidewinder, it was always the dream of Golden-Knight to "return home to Earth", which as fate would have it, would mean completing a single and very specific objective: achieving the rank of Petty Officer in the Federation! This would be no small task, especially with ideology that aligned more closely with the Alliance, and their Libertarian values over Corporate dominance. "Money was just a tool to me, the means for fueling my ambitions to conquer scum and carve my name in the stars. That glory is both priceless and everlasting, which drives me far more than any paycheck ever could."
As soon as possible, Golden-Knight bought the Cobra Mark 3, the first ship to have been purchased through the fruits of hard work. This would be the ship to blaze the trail, and would symbolize the feeling of freedom's beginning...and the ship was named after that emotional sentiment: Freedom's Beginning.
The Freedom's Beginning was armed with 2 pulse lasers and 2 heatseeking missiles, which had proven to be a winning combo: the lasers take down shields, the missiles blow away the hull. But, the ship during its legendary voyage that'd draw a ring around the whole Milky Way would be shockingly unarmed, since the ship itself was designed specifically for maximum speed, fuel capacity, and a 4A fuel scoop - the key to any deep space voyage outside "The Bubble".
Should there ever be any indicator of success, the pilot has brought honor to the clan name, and the original "Hero Leader" of World War Three had been commemorated in the form of a plush doll, that can sit atop any pilot's dashboard (provided the ARX were good, of course). Honoring the start of that bloodline was the personal and explicit request of Commander Golden-Knight.

Any screenshots from this point on are used as proof of achievements.

OR, as an added edit, if you want a more detailed log that documents my ventures, I made a separate forum post about specifically that: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/around-the-galaxy.549268/

Last edited:
Question, as I'm new to the forums: is there any kind of "necro thread" rule? Or, is it OK to add to this despite it being over 7 months old? Or has another one been created in its wake?

To answer your question, yes, but I've barely started, and with being only a week in, need a few more million credits before I can outfit my dream combat vessel. And if I had the friends, it'd involve a Federation Betrayal that'd destroy Starship One, OR working with both Alliance AND Federation, to try and create a truce (as absurd as that may sound).

But, since I don't have those friends, here's my placeholder. You don't have to feature this, as it's merely a dream as of this writing, but still. (Ahem)

Commander Golden-Knight
Ship tag: AC 294
Ship name: Freedom's Beginning
Claim-to-fame: Circumnavigated the Galaxy (Sol was the starting point, and the rule was to connect a ring of stars around the outer galaxy, ending back at Sol) using only a Cobra Mk3 and a Fuel Scoop (also it was literally his/my second ship, the first one being the loaned Sidewinder that every noob is entitled to).

I'd love to one day be "canonized", but I'm awfully addicted running errands for various space stations...still just a mere Petty Officer as of this writing, but one day, calling myself "Admiral" sounds mighty cool.

One thing that I AM aiming to do, though, is reach "The Mug" (my ship clocked out at over 1,700c by the time I made it halfway). That is my mere warm-up to becoming "The Magellan of Y3K." Right next to my home, it's definitely an hour or two of REAL time spent going in one direction. Luckily, I can find other ways to pass the time while I let this project cook in the background (such as me writing this right now, and reading the literal Wikipedia article about Ferdinand Magellan).

View attachment 178788

And while waiting for the real hour to pass, a little blurp on the lore of my character. (Ahem)

Commander Golden-Knight was born on Earth, but had to go many lightyears to achieve pilot certification. Earth had recovered from its many countless conflicts, and even with battle taking the galactic stage (albeit mostly confined to "The Bubble"), most of that period on the planet itself was peaceful.
The name Golden-Knight comes from a famous warrior (or infamous, depending on your sources, and their credibility or lack thereof), who began his dynasty back in the Third World War, as a key leader and "Secret Weapon" that saw the United States win - the very beginning to the "Butterfly Effect" that would directly lead to the founding of The Federation.
Upon reaching the stars, and having set out from the loaned Sidewinder, it was always the dream of Golden-Knight to "return home to Earth", which as fate would have it, would mean completing a single and very specific objective: achieving the rank of Petty Officer in the Federation! This would be no small task, especially with ideology that aligned more closely with the Alliance, and their Libertarian values over Corporate dominance. "Money was just a tool to me, the means for fueling my ambitions to conquer scum and carve my name in the stars. That glory is both priceless and everlasting, which drives me far more than any paycheck ever could."
As soon as possible, Golden-Knight bought the Cobra Mark 3, the first ship to have been purchased through the fruits of hard work. This would be the ship to blaze the trail, and would symbolize the feeling of freedom's beginning...and the ship was named after that emotional sentiment: Freedom's Beginning.
The Freedom's Beginning was armed with 2 pulse lasers and 2 heatseeking missiles, which had proven to be a winning combo: the lasers take down shields, the missile blow away the hull. But, the ship during its legendary voyage that'd draw a ring around the whole Milky Way would be shockingly unarmed, since the ship itself was designed specifically for maximum speed, fuel capacity, and a 4A fuel scoop - the key to any deep space voyage outside "The Bubble".
Should there ever be any indicator of success, the pilot has brought honor to the clan name, and the original "Hero Leader" of World War Three had been commemorated in the form of a plush doll, that can sit atop any pilot's dashboard (provided the ARX were good, of course). Honoring the start of that bloodline was the personal and explicit request of Commander Golden-Knight.

Any screenshots from this point on are used as proof of achievements.
For well written posts the necro rule never applies (y)

Just finished my warm-up activities...and here's the proof.
No cargo space means no mug. I wish I could put one on my dashboard, again just as a badge of achievement. Similarly to how you can put your rankings as decals, they should have similar "achievement-based decorations", I think.

Also more times than not, I'm a night-owl, which is why I'm awake now...because chances are, it won't be long before I tuck in for the day!

And, since I can't "store" goods, like in a holding bay for a station, I had to spend a significant purse on a Federal Dropship, that's SPECIFICALLY intended to just sit in the Shipyard, and hold all "The Mugs" that were on sale at the station. It's literally named, "Bearer of the Mug".
(Then I realized you can't have your cargo stored inside a stored ship. So the only way I can free up my explorer ship is to sell all the mugs. DANG IT, I wanted to hold on to one!)

Lastly, one final edit, as I have tentatively plotted out a vague path for my grand achievement. It's been VERY hard to get a good galactic picture, given all the UI elements getting in my way, but this should give you the sense of scale that I am attempting (and I've found a good lot of patches of absolute emptiness...like, there's a reason a specific sector is literally named "The Void"). Assuming I see this through, I'll be sure to take a picture as I reach each of those outstanding "bookmark" checkpoints. I can't go talking about something like this without proof.
To put it into perspective, I've shown how many jumps it'd take just to get to the first checkpoint. I'm going to bed now; gonna need that power if I want to even attempt this feat.

Right now, it's just a design template, a blueprint...just a dream. Yet, all great things start as just that! ;)

o7
(Or, as "Hero Leader" would say, "Semper Bellum!")

Attachments

• 20200625053544_1.jpg
    20200625053544_1.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200625062908_1.jpg
    20200625062908_1.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200625062958_1.jpg
    20200625062958_1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200625063047_1.jpg
    20200625063047_1.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20200625063144_1.jpg
    20200625063144_1.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 192
  • Bearer of the Mug Proof.jpg
    Bearer of the Mug Proof.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Bearer of the Mug.jpg
    Bearer of the Mug.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 210
  • The Golden Course.jpg
    The Golden Course.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Journey Beginning.jpg
    Journey Beginning.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Just started my journey, and I'll take pictures as I go (though I must ask, can you help me figure out how you got to manipulate the in-game camera for all those pretty pictures? It's not a big priority, as I'm more concerned about proving achievement, but still).

Anyway, right now, I turned music off in-game, and halved volume of all sound effects, because for this epic trip, I am armed with only one particular song: https://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=L-VJeVPeawk&s=14&e=142#Elite_-_Blue_Danube_Waltz

Looks like there's no penalty for a "double post" either, which is also very good for the purposes of timestamping.

Here's my progress so far...went back after I found a system that had "First Discovered" planets that were not also listed as "First Mapped" planets.
I don't know how long it takes for the game to register when a player has achieved "First Discovered", but whenever I see my name in those gold letters, I'll be sure to take a picture.

20200625222158_1.jpg
20200625222733_1.jpg
20200625224540_1.jpg
20200626002042_1.jpg
20200626002354_1.jpg
20200626012138_1.jpg
20200626021039_1.jpg

20200626023035_1.jpg

20200626023327_1.jpg

If you're for an ongoing ship achievements log, I suggest using the same post and editing it as needed, then post here to let people know you updated it or send me a message if you need me to edit the OP, or something like that. I have the roster set up to link to a specific post in the thread for each ship. And actually, an option to do in addition would be to start your own thread as a ship's or Commander's log, maybe in the Exploration, Role Play, or similar forum section.

As for the camera, I keep it pretty basic and use mostly just the flight controls for it and hide the menu. Not much I could recommend other than just fiddling around with the control menu options and seeing what works for you.

Edit: Oh, also, some people use shader mods for more cinematic or color enhanced type effects too, so that may be something you want to look into. This isn't something I've done though, since I like representing the game as it is with my pictures (HUD panel colors not withstanding). This also helps to show some of the changes that have been made over time to nebulae, world surface rendering, and things like that.

o7

Last edited:
If you're for an ongoing ship achievements log, I suggest using the same post and editing it as needed, then post here to let people know you updated it or send me a message if you need me to edit the OP, or something like that. I have the roster set up to link to a specific post in the thread for each ship. And actually, an option to do in addition would be to start your own thread as a ship's or Commander's log, maybe in the Exploration, Role Play, or similar forum section.
Way ahead of ya: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/around-the-galaxy.549268/

As an edit for P.S. If you think I'm worthy of the spot, you have my definitive post up above, where I first introduce myself. But if you ask me for my personal opinion, knowing that I'm always hard on myself, I feel I still have a ways to go, but I've got a good start to making the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom