Horizon. (another non sense)

I'm gone back to the Horizons client to play horizons content both because of performances and to occasionally play with a couple of friends who are still waiting the full release before buying Odyssey (i'm annoyed by the need to switch client when it happens).

However i'd run the Odyssey client to go on exploration, and probably i'd still run it to play space content if they released the Horizons 4.0 client to horizons players (as an additional option) to be able to instance with them for space content (there would still be the performances issues and additional bugs, but i kinda like the new UI now that major issues are fixed).

Anyway i'm pretty confident that with Update 8 horizons' content will be much more appreciable (odyssey's content will need much more work)

Last edited:
Horizons:
❌ can't be plant

Odyssey:
✅ can be plant
plant.jpg

I think this makes it pretty clear which one is the best

Off topic but

View attachment 262275

I love Asp Scouts to bits, but this paint job.....why man, why?

eyes melt

Oh, I play a lot of ground missions in a team, on one of their streams.

As the stream was getting going I told them I'd built a new stealth ship for infiltrations. Cunning paint job, new build, heavily engineered.

They were really eager to see this new ride, so I agreed to meet them at a dayside settlement. They got out of their ships, and the stream was running as they turned their avid gazes to the sky.

I did a slow barrel roll overhead in ... that ^^

Depending on how much one values the look of their cosmetics, various effects that seem to have gone AWOL in EDO, or at least been muted, and the wonky lighting (EDO to me still feels less vibrant and a lot of detail is lost in darkness, despite the various updates).

For me this is almost worse than the performance issues as I have to constantly look at something that I personally consider worse, when comparing it to Horizons' visuals. And that's on top of the stutter, jank and half cooked gameplay that EDO bolts to the side of Horizons.

If I had the choice I would've preferred if EDO didn't change the way the game looks as a whole. Whether it was necessary to make new planet-tech work/look the way it does, not really sure but I think it was a poor call. But it means that Horizons as we know it will eventually cease to exist, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I will probably get used to it but I always thought that graphics should improve over time, not get worse. Again, just to be clear, I'm talking about pure Horizons gameplay/environments here, mostly in space/stations/asteriod belts. Not planetside stuff.

Yeah, FD made some strange choices in Odyssey regarding effects. Those are the sort of things that hopefully can be influenced with feedback and issues.

Yeah, FD made some strange choices in Odyssey regarding effects. Those are the sort of things that hopefully can be influenced with feedback and issues.
I think that most of the wierd thing are related to the rushed release.
I understand that they wanted to upgrade their tech, but they hadn't the time to do it properly (well, they'd also have needed a proper test phase to gather feedback about it, but that's what we have now in disguise).

Deleted member 182079

D
I think that most of the wierd thing are related to the rushed release.
I understand that they wanted to upgrade their tech, but they hadn't the time to do it properly (well, they'd also have needed a proper test phase to gather feedback about it, but that's what we have now in disguise).
After Frontier's claim that "lighting is fixed" I'm not so sure about that. I think at this point they're trying to fix as few things as possible if they can get away with it, that's the impression I'm getting anyways.

EDIT: I just checked the issue ranking post again, what they did say is that lighting is considered fixed as per patch 7. So I'll reserve judgement until then... though based on what I read about what exact fixes are in the pipeline still, I don't think the bits that I take issue with will be addressed; and without critical mass in terms of enough lobbying to get tickets through the popularity contest it's probably going to be a case of 'take it or leave it' after patch 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
After Frontier's claim that "lighting is fixed" I'm not so sure about that.
It seems that some work has been done to fix some PJs...
What I find most interesting is that yesterday I applied the Onionhead PJ back onto my Corvette (I know, who in their right mind would buy that PJ!) and it is equally as emissive as in Horizons - so they are able to fix this in Odyssey... So why are our decals and bobbleheads which are supposed to emit, bland?

What I find most interesting is that yesterday I applied the Onionhead PJ back onto my Corvette (I know, who in their right mind would buy that PJ!) and it is euqlly as emissive as in Horizons - so they are able to fix this in Odyssey... So why are our decals and bobbleheads which are supposed to emit, bland?

From the desk of Fdev bug fixing department
EXJWZ5C.png

The things that I really miss from Horizons are:

-the paintjobs I purchased
-the smoothness of the System Map. Provided that I like the looks of the new one better, the old one works smoothly and swiftly, while the new one is still laggy, stuttering and click-hungry. ☹️

Aside from that, even with its flaws, I am really enjoying EDO.

edit:

HEREEEEEEEEEETiiiiic

After Frontier's claim that "lighting is fixed" I'm not so sure about that. I think at this point they're trying to fix as few things as possible if they can get away with it, that's the impression I'm getting anyways.

EDIT: I just checked the issue ranking post again, what they did say is that lighting is considered fixed as per patch 7. So I'll reserve judgement until then... though based on what I read about what exact fixes are in the pipeline still, I don't think the bits that I take issue with will be addressed; and without critical mass in terms of enough lobbying to get tickets through the popularity contest it's probably going to be a case of 'take it or leave it' after patch 7.
They said that the major "lighting bad" issue report has been marked as fixed, and people should create specific reports for specific issues.

Let me know when Odyssey can provide those beautiful views in more than picture postcard format... Looking beautiful and being playable are two different things. I'd love it if it could do both. :)

Picture postcard? This one has the fraps FPS counter bottom right:

20210824223715_1.jpg

For obvious reasons I don't have the FPS display on when I'm trying to take screenshots. (These aren't ultra shots either, just regular F12 steam keypresses.)

Space, planets, ship combat I get 60fps on a GTX1660ti, i7-6700k and 32gb of ram. Mix of medium high settings.

Planets are no problem, space is no problem, I only get 35-60fps when there are NPCs around on foot in numbers (or lots of glass/reflective surfaces.)

Enjoy:

20210825032734_1.jpg

I did yesterday because I needed to farm some mats and I got tired of driving around trying to find a piece of cobble or crystals... and it invariably produced Carbon or Sulfur, never anything else. So after hours of wasting time like this, I decided to log back into Horizons and just land at a Geological Signal to farm instead. But to be perfectly honest, this and the galaxy/system maps are the only thing better in Horizons in my books. Odyssey just looks a lot more beautiful, and I've never had any issues with running it. So yeah, I think Odyssey is good (at least in the context of your question) and other than to farm materials planetside, I haven't logged back into Horizons since Odyssey came out.

EDIT: I really miss the gal/sys maps though. No matter how long I've used the new ones, they are still absolutely horrible and infuriating to use.

That paintjob is just wrong on many levels- the design, typography, the fact a racing skin is on an Asp Scout.....cries

Now good sir, you take that back. The Asp Scout is a race ship*, and as such fully deserving of a racing skin!

R4sFaAV.png

* rather slow and crappy maybe, still a racing ship!

Deleted member 182079

D
What I find most interesting is that yesterday I applied the Onionhead PJ back onto my Corvette (I know, who in their right mind would buy that PJ!) and it is equally as emissive as in Horizons - so they are able to fix this in Odyssey... So why are our decals and bobbleheads which are supposed to emit, bland?
Yeah they did - but only a few. They addressed the free PJs they handed out for the Viper & Cobra (that actually looks pretty good now), the Stygians as well as Galvanized, and one of my FC paints (the one that turned from red/white into neon-yellow/red) is now red-grey. So somewhat fixed... which doesn't leave a great impression because it's still not right - the white bits of most PJs look grey now, completely butchering most of them.

Midnight Black is still shiny grey instead of matte-black, white looks grey, Azure isn't fixed, and bobble heads aren't either (eg. the wireframe Coriolis lacks the chrome effect). The triple Elite decal looked matte yellow instead of shiny golden last time I checked (before I reset my account). Though some paints weren't as affected as others - they look different but not necessarily like on the thumbnails, which I'd consider false advertising at this point (they didn't take the broken crap off their store in the interim either).
They said that the major "lighting bad" issue report has been marked as fixed, and people should create specific reports for specific issues.
To me it just looks like they're trying to wiggle out of spending more time getting this right, and will only move if enough people complain about it. Instead of looking at Horizons, then comparing it with Odyssey and spotting the (imo) very obvious differences between them. That we don't really know which effects are by design and which aren't doesn't help either - if they came out with "the dynamic contrast effect is intentional, deal with it" I wouldn't be happy, but I'd have to accept it still, let it go and move on accordingly.

Top Bottom