HORIZONS: Ability to deploy SRV from slightly above ground

As the title suggests, I'd like the ability to deploy the SRV without landing from slightly above ground. Sometimes it can be difficult to locate a suitable landing spot. In those cases, it would be ideal to be able to deploy and drop from a very low height, and the ship being dismissed automatically as the drop occurs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I'd like the ability to deploy the SRV without landing from slightly above ground. Sometimes it can be difficult to locate a suitable landing spot. In those cases, it would be ideal to be able to deploy and drop from a very low high, and the ship being dismissed automatically as the drop occurs.

Thanks.
This would make sense. High drops would also work. Only problem is that if you cant land, neither can the ai. So if there were a grapple system that the ship could drop for take-offs, then I dont see and reason high drops would be prohibited for landing.

It would be better if your ship's computer just marked out suitable landing sites since it obviously knows where these are, instead of forcing you to float around crossing your fingers that you'd stumbled across a landing site.
While I like your idea, and wouldn't mind if that was chosen over and above the idea I put forward, as others have pointed out, even the AI sometimes struggles to find a decent landing spot.Plus, it depends on which route is easier for the developers - to simply allow a player SRV to drop out from a certain level, or to create a mechanism the pilot uses to automate landing. I'm not sure which would be easiest/quickest to implement. Let's face it, SRVs dropping from the ship would be cooler, too.

yea, plus there used to be a way to actually do this, well at least i managed to once a while ago, was pretty interesting falling through space towards a planet for 20 minutes before the galaxy realised i was being a nidiot and corrected me

This would make sense. High drops would also work. Only problem is that if you cant land, neither can the ai. So if there were a grapple system that the ship could drop for take-offs, then I dont see and reason high drops would be prohibited for landing.
There is a grapple system. This is how a Cutter or Anaconda can pick up an SRV from that distance. It could meet that same distance without landing gear down.

I'd like to be able to deploy them anywhere, any time. If it means you pancake, have to self-destruct, or get your ship shot down for trespassing, so be it.
Definitely. I'd love to be cruising at 200m/s and deploy the SRV at 2km altitude, drift to a base and tuck and roll. It would definitely lead to using more high grade mats for better SRV hulls. The Mars rover dropped using a cable system. I don't see why that was abandoned 1000 years later, or at least the thrusters engaged on the SRV.

It would be better if your ship's computer just marked out suitable landing sites since it obviously knows where these are, instead of forcing you to float around crossing your fingers that you'd stumbled across a landing site.
THIS please!
Would save time floating around, trying to find a suitable spot. Just tell me where it would be suitable and I'll float over there.

This would make sense. High drops would also work. Only problem is that if you cant land, neither can the ai.
Objection!
I've seen the AI land in some weird places, about 50m above me, half on a hill, where I couldn't land, not to mention get my SRV into the hangar either. But it was fine for the AI.

As the title suggests, I'd like the ability to deploy the SRV without landing from slightly above ground. Sometimes it can be difficult to locate a suitable landing spot. In those cases, it would be ideal to be able to deploy and drop from a very low height, and the ship being dismissed automatically as the drop occurs.

Thanks.
Yes please.
Then we need hovering pickup.
A drop here and follow me (like with the fighter).
If you've left the ship to landed you want a 'launch and follow' option.

Then we can get more fancy and have things like drop me from a hover, launch the SLF and have it give me air support but dismiss the main ship to SC.. One step at a time hey :D

Yes please! Have wanted this for ages. Particular use I have in mind is where you find a terrific mountain you want to base jump off the top of but just can't find a landing spot (think of it like heli-skiing). Just make it so you can deploy the SRV (maybe with a warning) anywhere below 100m off the ground. Easy.

Top Bottom