Hotas one yaw twitch

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I managed to get the hotas one back in November and have been enjoying it since, but recently it has developed a twitch on the left yaw. This comes and goes during a session, and adjusting the deadzone seems to makes no difference.
Anyone else experiencing this? If so is there a fix or will I need to contact thrust master?

Yup :(

I know of multiple people via here and Facebook with the same problem with launch units - myself included.

You'll need to contact Thrustmaster.

They may ask you to jump through some hoops first, by providing video of it failing the diagnostics when connected to a PC... Or you may get lucky and just be asked to provide a photo of it with the cable cut from the base.

Recommend two things first to see if the drift stops; 1. disconnect your HOTAS USB and plug it back in--should get the controller disconnect message, then plug HOTAS back in and it will reset. Yaw should be gone. If not you can try resetting your USB ports; 2. shut down Xbox, disconnect power source from back of Xbox, press the power on button 2 or 3 times, then plug power source back into Xbox and turn it on.

Good luck, both of these fixes have worked for my HOTAS in the past, 1 more often than 2. But if they don't, Thrustmaster customer service is superb, just had my A button on my throttle start acting funny (started acting different from X and B) so I contacted Thrustmaster--3 emails and a weekend and my new HOTAS is on the way. CMDR, o7

This happens to me (yaw twitch) occasionally. I found that if I lift the joystick up, it disappears. There is a small amount of vertical movement in the joystick, and I think that is interfering with things.

I keep meaning to take it to bits to see if it can be tweaked back to normal, but haven't gotten there yet.

This happens to me (yaw twitch) occasionally. I found that if I lift the joystick up, it disappears. There is a small amount of vertical movement in the joystick, and I think that is interfering with things.

I keep meaning to take it to bits to see if it can be tweaked back to normal, but haven't gotten there yet.

It will still be covered by Thrustmaster's two year warranty. I'd get a replacement if I were you

you may get lucky and just be asked to provide a photo of it with the cable cut from the base.
Is that so you don't have to return it or something?

It will still be covered by Thrustmaster's two year warranty. I'd get a replacement if I were you
I may do that.
It does irk me though since I am strictly a weekend commander, so chances are it's done slot less miles than alot of you.
At least it didn't wait till it was out of warranty

Probably more to reassure Thrustmaster that you have put it out of action and aren't just going to keep it and sell the replacement.

It's a bit more convenient for us too. There was a time (still is with some retailers) you had to return the item for testing before getting a replacement/repair, and it may come again. My wife works at Argos (UK retailer) and they now send many items away for repair due to too many people returning perfectly working items days before the warranty ends in order to get a replacement with a full warranty! My wife told about one "little old lady" who has done this for 6 years with a £12 kettle, returning it days before the 12 month warranty ran out! The lady in question was so well known that eventually they had to send for repair to stop her taking advantage. Lol

Just to update (if anyone is interested)
Contacted Thrustmaster, snapped pic of serial number filmed test failure and sent it off (was a touch put out by the fact that you needed a pc to test the unit on, as some people don't have one)
Received a reply on Monday requesting a pic of the unit with the cable cut, ("so you don't have to return it" (disposable culture)) this has all taken so long as I'm away at work Monday to Friday and TM seems to take an average of 2 days to reply each time. I think I'll struggle through the weekend and cut the cord on Sunday night so hopefully I'll receive the replacement by the following weekend🤞

So finally got around to opening the joystick (the top bit) a week ago, found the cable loom was routed badly, and a bit stressed. Rerouted it, bolted everything back together - no sign of the twitch since.

Total time to fix - 10 minutes :) if there had been damage to the cable loom, I would have sent it off for replacement.

Last edited:
So finally got around to opening the joystick (the top bit) a week ago, found the cable loom was routed badly, and a bit stressed. Rerouted it, bolted everything back together - no sign of the twitch since.

Total time to fix - 10 minutes :) if there had been damage to the cable loom, I would have sent it off for replacement.

It's always a good plan to get used to maintaining a HOTAS in the first place...warranty be damned. I strip my X56 down for cleaning and lubrication at least once a month if I'm using it heavily. Better that than waiting a week+ for a replacement that may develop the same issue.

It's not like it's rocket science or anything.... a set of jewellers/electricians screwdrivers, some Vaseline or silicone grease and a couple of cotton buds (Q-tips for the Colonials) and 10 minutes is all that's needed.

Last edited:

Trouble is, you realise, by opening the unit up, you've probably invalidated the warranty

Trouble is, you realise, by opening the unit up, you've probably invalidated the warranty

What's this fascination with a manufacturers warranty? I've always been of the mind that once I've paid for it, it's mine, the responsibility for it's maintenance is mine and if it's getting a bit worn, the responsibility is mine to replace the worn parts....

Perhaps it's because I've always built my own PC's, repaired my own cars and motorbikes...even stripped and cleaned my own Xbox's when required. It seems a recent thing...this allergy to opening things up to see how they work and rather trusting in manufacturers to replace mildly faulty stuff for free....

Perhaps I'm just old and grew up in a time where warranties weren't worth the paper they were printed on [yesnod]

What's this fascination with a manufacturers warranty? I've always been of the mind that once I've paid for it, it's mine, the responsibility for it's maintenance is mine and if it's getting a bit worn, the responsibility is mine to replace the worn parts....

Perhaps it's because I've always built my own PC's, repaired my own cars and motorbikes...even stripped and cleaned my own Xbox's when required. It seems a recent thing...this allergy to opening things up to see how they work and rather trusting in manufacturers to replace mildly faulty stuff for free....

Perhaps I'm just old and grew up in a time where warranties weren't worth the paper they were printed on [yesnod]

You are absolutely correct, on all counts. Might just be a generational thing, or maybe a meta-physical thing; I like being able to fix or build what I want. That said, I'm a tad more cautious. Thrustmaster replaced my HOTAS ONE for an A button failure, and only then was I willing to open it up to look behind the curtain. I'm toying with trying to extend the distance between HOTAS and Throttle so I can get a little more leg room in my pilot's seat (want to route the cable out of sight and remove wire/cable restriction). With a functional HOTAS now I can experiment with my spare parts, sacrificial lamb HOTAS. You are either way my role model and if I ever grow up, I want to be just like you.

You are absolutely correct, on all counts. Might just be a generational thing, or maybe a meta-physical thing; I like being able to fix or build what I want. That said, I'm a tad more cautious. Thrustmaster replaced my HOTAS ONE for an A button failure, and only then was I willing to open it up to look behind the curtain. I'm toying with trying to extend the distance between HOTAS and Throttle so I can get a little more leg room in my pilot's seat (want to route the cable out of sight and remove wire/cable restriction). With a functional HOTAS now I can experiment with my spare parts, sacrificial lamb HOTAS. You are either way my role model and if I ever grow up, I want to be just like you.

I think my wife having several still broken toaster parts and half built washing machines would temper that view somewhat [haha]

...My bikes and my PC are always top notch though :D

I think my wife having several still broken toaster parts and half built washing machines would temper that view somewhat [haha]

...My bikes and my PC are always top notch though :D
Been married 51 years after dating for 3 years, so I know what your saying (we indeed could be brothers); but when we do put that talent into play (investment strategy however accidental), the appreciation fills the honey do account up big time. Always surprises me when she think she got the better deal! Even if so not true, I'm actually looking into getting a new top end HP computer to run ED VR because I bought her a generator and can run the house during the next hurricane (rode out Matthew and Irma in FL without being able to play ED or AC). Crazy ??? And she does all the cooking? o7 Cmdr, fly fast and be dangerous!

Been married 51 years after dating for 3 years, so I know what your saying (we indeed could be brothers); but when we do put that talent into play (investment strategy however accidental), the appreciation fills the honey do account up big time. Always surprises me when she think she got the better deal! Even if so not true, I'm actually looking into getting a new top end HP computer to run ED VR because I bought her a generator and can run the house during the next hurricane (rode out Matthew and Irma in FL without being able to play ED or AC). Crazy ??? And she does all the cooking? o7 Cmdr, fly fast and be dangerous!

I think we are brothers...although I've only been married for a mere 30 years with obligatory 3 years before the wedding :)

I'm starting to wonder if you two should get a room! Lol
As for fixing things myself, I'm not adverse to having a go with certain things, I've fitted and tiled a bathroom, I've layed carpet, replaced belts in tumble dryers, I even changed the brake pads and discs on my car, but I know my limitations. Electronics is most definitely not my forte. My one attempt (a controller with a drifting stick) failed miserably, and besides, these days when you buy something it should be guaranteed a company provides a product, it should work for a minimum specified time, though unlike many, I'd be happy with a repair but hey ho.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom