HOTAS throttle set to zero in forward only goes into reverse

I couldn't find another post on anything like this after some looking on Google & in the forum search & my question got lost in the shuffle on Discord, so I'm not sure I'll get an answer there, so here goes...

I never had an issue with this until recently (just started playing again though), & I'm not sure if it was some keybind/controlbind settings or some setting in Voice Attack (maybe the assignment of joystick settings so that my HCS Astra wouldn't get confused if I changed things manually, then had Astra do it for me later). I'm kind of at a loss as to what is going on. Anyway, here it is...

I recently began having an issue where when I set my throttle to forward only I have to put it in as an inverted setting (never had to do that before) & when I zero the throttle it goes into reverse at 7m/s instead of the expected 0, which is the primary issue, obviously. When I tell Astra "all stop", it stops the ship, (so I assume the keybind probably works) but not when I pull all of the way back on the throttle. It's not a game breaker, but makes things, understandably, a little more difficult while doing things like manual docking.

I'm about to try setting a deadzone in my HOTAS control panel if I can to see if that solves it; if it does, I'll let you know, but I'm still wondering what the issue may be. Any info you need I'll be more than happy to provide. I'd just like to get this sorted if possible. I use a Saitek x-56 HOTAS.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give me.

Wulgrin

Edit: In my SRV when I set the throttle to 0, it stops. The speed of reverse seems to depend on the ship I'm in & the location. When I'm docking in my Asp, the reverse speed with 0 throttle moves backwards at 7m/s (station & planetary outpost). When I'm near a planets surface, preparing to land, it seems to be around 4-5m/s.

Does That make sense to anyone? Are there some odd physics in the game that cause that, or is something going on with the game that I need to fiddle with?

Last edited:
I am also having this issue. Were you ever able to figure it out? The deadzone only seems to affect the center position which is a bit useless on a throttle. Strangely it only seems to happen when the game is focused, when I pull the mouse out to, for example, type this message the throttle actually does return to zero. When I go back to the game the throttle decreases by a notch, making me move in reverse. If I put the throttle forward and move the mouse out it increases by a notch. Using the "Set Speed To 0%" key does the same thing as if the game having focus results in a subtraction of a notch of throttle.

Hmm, it looks like it might have been an issue with the calibration of my thrust axes. After moving them around the problem seems to have resolved itself.

I am also having this issue. Were you ever able to figure it out? The deadzone only seems to affect the center position which is a bit useless on a throttle. Strangely it only seems to happen when the game is focused, when I pull the mouse out to, for example, type this message the throttle actually does return to zero. When I go back to the game the throttle decreases by a notch, making me move in reverse. If I put the throttle forward and move the mouse out it increases by a notch. Using the "Set Speed To 0%" key does the same thing as if the game having focus results in a subtraction of a notch of throttle.

It's currently at the point that the SRV stops with the keyboard & the throttle; my Asp moves forward at somewhere around 11m/s no matter if I zero the throttle on my keyboard or on my HOTAS (it may stop fully in free cam mode, I can't remember for sure & would have to test that out).

I don't think that it started until I changed a few settings in voice attack, but I could be wrong on that. I tried to change some of the settings back on VA, but it didn't help.

My other ships speeds at "0" I can't check right now because I'm currently in deep space & it would take several days or weeks to get back to the bubble. As I recall though, all of their "0" speeds were different values, but none I tested at the time were "0".

I tried the deadzone adjustment, like support suggested, but it did nothing at all, no matter how I adjusted it. I tried the center & both ends with no success (it took some fiddling for me to figure out how to adjust it on the lower end). There really wasn't much support could do on their end to get me sorted out.

I haven't noticed my mouse being in or out of the window, or the window being unfocused having any effect, but I wouldn't bet my arm or anything on that.

Do you use Voice Attack, EDDiscovery, Captain's Log 2, or EDDI? Those are most of the OOG apps I use; I think it may have been the VA though, but once again, I wouldn't swear to that. All I can say is that I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled anything, & it never happened before. Kind of frustrating, but I can live with it if I have no options.

Hmm, it looks like it might have been an issue with the calibration of my thrust axes. After moving them around the problem seems to have resolved itself.

What exactly did you do? I may try that. I tried adjustments in & out of the game without success.

There is a utility on the Logitech site that clears out the calibration values of the HOTAS from the register. You then recalibrate using the Windoze game controller. Mine is called "Saitek - Clear Calibration - X52 Pro.reg"
Look at this link for the X56.

I hope it works for you.
One other thing. If you use the HOTAS s/ware to pass macros to Elite. It won't work if you have the HOTAS properties open.

Top Bottom