Hotspots are a joke!

Maybe mining isn't the right job for you. Then again if you fired 50 prospectors and only found 2 cores maybe you should go back and watch some more videos.... you should be getting nearer 50 for 50 if you pay attention

Last night spent an hour and a half in a platinum HS (for the CG) and ~50 prospectors later found only two cores (with muscovite) and not a single fragment of platinum. This is not the first time. Are the hotspots just RNGs?
Do not seam to be having that problem.....Maybe it might be the way you are looking for them.
YYnrcEk.png

Mining is the fishing of Elite Dangerous.

I’ve spent time in double Painite hotspots with a 3A prospector chucking out two at a time and struggled to find anything for at least half an hour. All sorts of thoughts and theories going through my head until suddenly they start popping up everywhere - and Painite doesn’t even require reading of the pulse wave scanner results.

Deep core mining has an element of skill but it can still require you to just relax, keep casting your line and take plenty of coffee and sandwiches. Maybe luck will be with you next time.

Hot spots can read your mind. They teaase you until the subconscious part of your brain goes "last rock and then I give up and go home". Then they drop a juicy rock in front of you, and then you're hooked again. This repeats until you get really tired.

Either that, or every CMDR in the galaxy is out mining, to gather CR for that carrier, depleting a few popular hotspots in the Bubble ;)

The keys to the deep core mining,
1.) Pristine rings
2.) Check the traffic in the system (many sites have this data it's only a indication but less traffic means it's not a "popular site"
3.) Learn to identify the color / shape of the rocks with the cores
4.) Learn to use the charges to achieve the max output, I can crack the rocks with 2-3 Charges yielding an avg 0f 14 chunks per rock (16t per rock)
5.) Once the Hot Spot is identified, start several 1000 meters out and use a reference point, moving toward the Hot Spot Core pinging with the scanner in 35-45 Deg arc's

The above screen shot was taken last week and this was around 2-3 Hours in game.

Last edited:
Last night spent an hour and a half in a platinum HS (for the CG) and ~50 prospectors later found only two cores (with muscovite) and not a single fragment of platinum. This is not the first time. Are the hotspots just RNGs?

Core mining can be very frustrating. The core-bearing asteroids are supposed to have a particular bright yellow appearance with black pixelation on a pulse scan, but my experience over the couple of weeks I went out VO mining was that a number of ‘roids will display those characteristics, only for them to either change on close approach, or to be devoid of cores. I went through prospector limpets same as you did.

A better identification is whether the ‘roid looks a bit like a piece of popcorn when you get close, if allied with the bright yellow etc.

And even having said that, the locations I would go to were all pristine resources some way outside of the bubble... and I still wasn’t getting more than a couple of core ‘roids in an hour. That’s probably quite a “lifelike” ratio, perhaps, and I still made a metric ftonne of credits from it, but it was incredibly dull. I enjoyed the charge placement, detonation, and frag gathering very much, but it was just a bit to random and spread out to keep me engaged.

In the end, I dumped the mining kit and refitted for Haz-Res combat :)

The keys to the deep core mining,
1.) Pristine rings
2.) Check the traffic in the system (many sites have this data it's only a incantation but less traffic means it's not a "popular site"
3.) Learn to identify the color / shape of the rocks with the cores
4.) Learn to use the charges to achieve the max output, I can crack the rocks with 2-3 Charges yielding an avg 0f 14 chunks per rock (16t per rock)
5.) Once the Hot Spot is identified, start several 1000 meters out and use a reference point, moving toward the Hot Spot Core pinging with the scanner in 35-45 Deg arc's

The above screen shot was taken last week and this was around 2-3 Hours in game.

Your first assumption is wrong, for VO or LTD core mining, you don´t need pristine systems.

So is there a trick to "old fashion" mining with lasers? It seems core mineable asteroids have "a look" to them, but what about if I want to just get some Painite using lasers? Do these also have "a look" to them? Because I also have suffered the OP's frustration.

So is there a trick to "old fashion" mining with lasers? It seems core mineable asteroids have "a look" to them, but what about if I want to just get some Painite using lasers? Do these also have "a look" to them? Because I also have suffered the OP's frustration.
Double overlapping painite hotspot and bring (prospector) limpets. Lots of limpets, but lots of asteroids should yield painite.

No real trick.
Just that hotspots make it far more efficient.
Overlapping hotspots make it roughly as profitable as DC mining.

Mining is a bit of an unbalanced mess now IMHO. FD had a chance to construct a nice solid set of connected mechanics, but they didn't. Instead we have a couple of nice new elements, needlessly lost in other mechanics that just haven't been designed well.

We have a couple of goto methods for "credits per hour" though which IMHO basically just keeps most folks happy enough to all but ignore the needlessly clunky aspects/mechanics and missed opportunities with Mining 2.0.

Top Bottom