Housing on planets?

filip

Banned
Remember that Mass Effect DLC which gave you a house on a desert planet if you completed a certain mission and in it you had greatly expanded shopping options, collapsible TV and music?

Well, how about when ground expansion comes out for ED you get to buy a variety of homes/palaces/mansions on planets, having a variety of beautiful vistas, furnishing it with myriad of furniture, equipment, landing pad, make it even serve as a shopping or administrative center on the planet?

Wouldn't that be amazing, surely you must have noticed that housing has become a big deal with major MMOs and this is not by accident, people will try to earn ingame money just so they can buy and upgrade homes(imagine all this in Oculus Rift!) thus significantly upgrading the longevity of the game.

It could be even released before the full planet exploration expansion.

Remember that Mass Effect DLC which gave you a house on a desert planet if you completed a certain mission and in it you had greatly expanded shopping options, collapsible TV and music?

Well, how about when ground expansion comes out for ED you get to buy a variety of homes/palaces/mansions on planets, having a variety of beautiful vistas, furnishing it with myriad of furniture, equipment, landing pad, make it even serve as a shopping or administrative center on the planet?

Wouldn't that be amazing, surely you must have noticed that housing has become a big deal with major MMOs and this is not by accident, people will try to earn ingame money just so they can buy and upgrade homes(imagine all this in Oculus Rift!) thus significantly upgrading the longevity of the game.

It could be even released before the full planet exploration expansion.

If this is a feature that ever gets added to the game, it won't be for a few years anyway.

But it's fair to say this kind of feature isn't in the spirit of elite.

Sim city in ED ? This would be a big work. But I do not see it as a priority. Priority (in my opinion) when there are planetary landings will the missions, the exploration, the hunting

The difference is the scale of game "world". In Mass Effect or typical MMOs it works because it's relatively quick to return to your "home" and derive the benefits of it. With ED, your play area is so massive that it'd prove pointless to have a home 25,000 LYs from where you are now. You could argue for setting up homes all over the galaxy but why would essentially nomadic space farers want to "ground" themselves this way?

Being able to customise ship interiors will somewhat address this desire, and I hope that's a feature of the "walking around" expansion.

Last edited:
How did you get from a house to a city?

Anyway, I imagine it to be a very neat system, structures would be deployed via air-vehicles on the terrain you designate and have future features, like being able to transform them once they are deployed.

Also, remember that amazing mansion in Mass Effect 2, Kasumi - Stolen Memory DLC, who wouldn't want that?

As rightly said Hamerstein, it is the scale of the game. Finally, our ​​house will be principally our spaceship. But Frontier will surely develop cities of all sizes in the game So when there will be cities, there will also be of the houses at working ... perhaps ...

:)

I guess it ties in to whether we get player owned stations- houses would be a smaller, planet side adaptation of that mechanic.

Certainly I wouldn't see it as being against the spirit of the game... since the spirit of Elite is the freedom to do as we like.

Stachel

Banned
Well assuming we get avatars the environment will be bundled with that. Content for the environment will be then assessed based on the vision and justified in return of investment terms.

I'm sure FD has a very specific idea of what avatars add or don't add to the ED concept - a concept they haven't really discussed yet in any great detail. Dare to dream I say, by all means. As someone mentioned about hype previously; getting excited about getting excited is half the fun of it. :D Just remember to manage your expectation.

FWIW I like the idea of mutable environments but I doubt it will be something we'll see, even in the long term. The reason for that is Braben has stated that they have a clear vision of what Elite is and that macro and micro resource management is not it. The analogy was 'spreadsheets in space', which is what people unkindly refer to EvE Online as (amongst other far kinder things). :D Whether or not that rules out player owned structures is anyone's guess - I suspect it does really. I think anything that encourages resource hoarding discourages romance and romance is half of the Elite ideal imho.

Last edited:
Certainly I wouldn't see it as being against the spirit of the game... since the spirit of Elite is the freedom to do as we like.

... in a spaceship. Your spaceship is your home.

I'm not against building, I actually think it would be fun to a degree. I'm just saying don't pin your interest in this game on having that as a feature because it's quite a bit away from the game's core, and a feature like this won't be added for years if at all.

... in a spaceship. Your spaceship is your home.

I'm not against building, I actually think it would be fun to a degree. I'm just saying don't pin your interest in this game on having that as a feature because it's quite a bit away from the game's core, and a feature like this won't be added for years if at all.

Nobody is pinning their interest in this game on having this as a feature, not even fillip. It's a suggested feature. Why discuss it in any other context?

Nobody is pinning their interest in this game on having this as a feature, not even fillip. It's a suggested feature. Why discuss it in any other context?

Oh, you guys know each other?

These kind of queries: "Is this game going to have 'feature x'?"

Usually turn into: "Oh well I guess this game is going to suck then".

Which indicates to me that people asking these questions haven't played these games before and are basing their expectations on other games. I hope you can forgive me for trying to educate people catching up.

Last edited:
Even if "home base" residences of some sort were introduced I can't see my character spending much time there. I guess if one's playstyle were exclusively trading in safe areas or bounty hunting in a designated local area it might be applicable.

The only problem I have with "homes" in games is the value of investing in them. If it's just a place to go it does not achieve much, but if there is some benefit or necessity associated with them then it makes more sense. A home of some sort has always been a part of the Elder Scrolls games, for example, but it makes sense as you gather a lot of items and crafting materials so a place to store things and craft items is useful. Same in Fallout.

ED isn't going to have this sort of gameplay, so the value of a permanent residence is minimal. I guess an opulent private residence could add to reputation in some way.

It's not fair to say that, and your notion of spirit of something is incoherent gibberish, we already talked about this.

That kind of rudeness is uncalled for, and not welcome in this community!

Elite has always been about one persion in the cockpit of their ship, having adventures in the universe. Therefore your player home idea IS against the spirit of what Elite has represented for the last 30 years.

Who's to say what the newest version will bring? Player homes might be possible, but since there is no fast travel as such (although hyperspace is pretty damn fast :p) you might be hours or days away from your home, and unable to access it easily.

What I think is very exciting (and on similar lines) is that the player can go into uncharted space, find a habitable world, tell the local faction, and a colony can grow up over time. Maybe the player could buy land if it's near a favorite trade run, or just somewhere to go on "holiday" every now and then.

So the OP idea has some value, please don't cheapen it by antagonizing other people :).

I dont think it will happen, for one i agree that it doesn't gel with the spirit of Elite, where most pilots will be struggling to stay financially afloat anyway and won't have the funds, time or even desire to stop what they are doing to become planet bound for long enough to want their own house and second reason, players will want a garage.

Give a player a house and he's going to want to be able to park his ships there and I can't see that happening, one of the games mechanics is going to be the ability to have multiple ships, but having to pay storage charges on those you are not using. That's in the game for a reason so i think almost any player owned fixed dwelling is going to be disallowed, be it a house, station or an entire planet.

Send your time and enthusiasm on your ship, make it as luxurious as you like (I hope) but leave the houses to the guys who want to be shop keepers not Elite pilots.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a deployable module of some sort when planetary landings are introduced.

Perhaps a place where one can store their ships or equipment without the associated docking fees. Perhaps an explorer could deploy and stock a module so than can use it as a stepping stone to explore further.

The only real issue I see with this would be the upkeep of the master servers regarding placement, especially of modules which are no longer used.

Perhaps such modules would only be visible to the players who created them and their friends in order to keep the server clean so to speak (ie. client side sharing through friends lists).

Due to the scale of the universe it would not be prudent to introduce a decay mechanic which despawns such modules as players may not venture home in weeks.

The whole housing idea I find ridiculous.

Mind you - if that's what people really want, and the devs want to spend time implementing it, that is entirely up to them.

They will have to make any such structures fully destructible of course :) Someone may spend a lot of time and money building their perfect PC house, someone else may take great enjoyment from landing their ship right on top of it, or using it as a test range for their shiny new Outrageous Anti-Plasma Boomer ;)

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I rather like the idea. Sure, it would be ancillary to just about everything else in the game, but it would be a fun little feature nonetheless.

They're already going to have players walking around stations, ships, and planets. Why not plop a house down too? You're already 95% there asset/mechanics wise.

There's that immersion thing again! It's like a bad penny. :D

filip

Banned
We have a house on Elite Dangerous :eek:. It called a Mobile Home. :D. It your space ship.

Space ships don't have vistas, swimming pools and watery walls, Mass Effect 2 mansion-
review-kasumi.jpg

You should always imagine this feature with Oculus Rift in mind, it would feel like going to vacation, hell, the first Far Cry made me feel like I was on a vacation.

Top Bottom