How am I supposed to find my target now?

OK - so I'm stupid. I get that. But I can't figure it out. I have a pirate lord to despatch. I arrive in the system and am told that the mission target is located - but it does not show in the nav panel. I'm expecting one of those blue things, right? Nope - not there. How am I supposed to lock on it?

Can't use the dscanner - says I can't do that in this cockpit mode - whatever the xxx that is. So how am I supposed to scan anything?

Tried scanning nav beacon. Nope - no message arrives.

In the past often they would find me if I hung around the sun for a bit. But nope - that doesn't work anymore either.

Beats the blazes out of me. Doesn't seem like quality of life improvements - rather the opposite actually. (I'll moan about the so-called improved lighting in another thread.)

Dropping in to the nav beacon and scanning that will work fine.

So will using the FSS (switch to analysis mode) and then resolving the USSs, the mission one should be there

HI, you should go into your controls at some point and bind keys to operate the new discovery scanner that's built into the ship now.
It requires you to switch modes back and forth in order to fire weapons though. Be advised.

Dropping in to the nav beacon and scanning that will work fine.

So will using the FSS (switch to analysis mode) and then resolving the USSs, the mission one should be there

Well - didn't work for me. I think if you drop into a system that you haven't scanned before it will work. But if you go into a system that you are thoroughly familiar with then scanning the nav beacon gives you nothing new - and so it also doesn't give you the target info.

HI, you should go into your controls at some point and bind keys to operate the new discovery scanner that's built into the ship now.
It requires you to switch modes back and forth in order to fire weapons though. Be advised.

This.

The cockpit now has 2(?) modes - combat mode and analysis mode - denoted by the HUD changing from the regular orange (combat) to blue (analysis).
Dunno if mining has a mode of it's own too.

Options > Controls > Mode Switches
The bottom option is "Switch HUD Mode".
You need to bind an input to this so you can swap between HUD modes in your cockpit.

Having done that, you need to push that button to swap to Analysis mode (HUD turns blue), honk and then swap back to Combat mode (HUD turns orange) so you can shoot at stuff.

All perfectly straightforward and sensible and totally not a pointless faff, right?

sollisb

Banned
This.

The cockpit now has 2(?) modes - combat mode and analysis mode - denoted by the HUD changing from the regular orange (combat) to blue (analysis).
Dunno if mining has a mode of it's own too.

Options > Controls > Mode Switches
The bottom option is "Switch HUD Mode".
You need to bind an input to this so you can swap between HUD modes in your cockpit.

Having done that, you need to push that button to swap to Analysis mode (HUD turns blue), honk and then swap back to Combat mode (HUD turns orange) so you can shoot at stuff.

All perfectly straightforward and sensible and totally not a pointless faff, right?

Are you serious? or just having a laff?

It took me a while to get the hang of it.

I'm looking for assassination target. The mission says scan nav beacon and signals to locate target, not the missions to scan data access points.

I drop into the system. First bloop discovery scanner. I don't know if this actually does any good, but I do it anyway.

Then check left panel, navigation locations for mission target or anything with all blue text (PC version). If found, head that way. If not called mission target, check nav panel again when you get within a few hundred ls of the target. The mission target location may have been added when you scan it at closer range.

If not found, locate nav beacon and go there. Drop out of system cruise then go back into system cruise and check nav panel again.

If not found in nav panel and no message telling you where to go look, then use FSS to locate it. If you didn't bloop the discovery scanner before, you need to do it now or FSS won't be working. I won't go into using the FSS, but set the tuning to far left, signals, then move around and select all the signals. When you are close to the mission target, the indicator ships will be orange. Zoom into the orange signal then exit FSS, go to nav panel and blue text mission target will be there.

Now you may have had an incoming message telling you where to go look. Usually a nav panel location will turn blue text, but not always. It may say to look at a station or body or a shipping channel from X body to Y body or station. Again, head there and check again when you get within several hundred ls of that body or station for the blue mission location text. Otherwise, you drop out of system cruise at that body, target where you came from, back to system cruise and check for mission target again. You'll probably get the mission target found info message during one of these maneuvers, so check nav panel then too.

Does that help any?

About a minute. Google is your friend.

When I first started playing a couple of months ago, I searched for help on this very issue. Nothing I found helped much. They mostly assumed you knew that the nav locations panel only updated when you went to system cruise.

Hopefully, a new user can read this and have better guidance than I did.

Hopefully,they'll have a slightly better attitude.Still waiting for the report ' about the so-called improved lighting .' :)

Top Bottom