How can I turn off or actually get rid of an interdiction?

So I have three hauling contracts open between two systems to carry a total of a couple thousand items, worth around 16 millions. Because of this, I have between three and seven interdictions to fight off with every trip that I make between the two systems.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I had a huge stack of missions and was getting interdictions literally back-to-back. Break one and go right into the next one. I think highest count was four with literally no break between them. Then there was a couple minutes of scurrying towards the station to get two more back-to-back just as I slowed down for short final.

I would like to add that these tend to occur either just after coming out of hyperspace, or just before entering the planet's SOI - essentially, it's a game of luck between evading or crashing and dying.

Your pursuers come into the system right behind you. Those are the early interdictions that come right after the jump. Once you get moving you get enough of a head start on acceleration that anyone coming into the system moments later can't catch up to you..... until you slow down for the approach to the station so that's when you need to be on your toes.

So, is there any way to make these interdictions stop, or am I cursed to risk losing any and all contracts I take?

Ian Doncaster's advice is spot on and the vid Henkka77 posted is a good how-to on how to deal with them. It works. Give it a try. Here it is again just in case you didn't catch his post:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9AWV_BWo0&feature=emb_logo

Can confirm, though, that the HOSTILE status has no impact on station access or local reputation. I'm cordial with half the systems where the PP goons try to kill me. Only problem is that the HOSTILE flag overwrites the ILLEGAL CARGO warning, so you need to check the contents of your hold manually when you need to decide whether you should stick to the speed limit or rather boost into the station.

Just want to note, where you say hostile, you actually mean "Powerplay Hostile", not actual hostile rep with a faction, which will definitely deny access.

I see so many of these threads lately. fascinating considering it says right there in the mission before you accept it that bad guys are coming after you.

So..common sense and very little experience tells me to prep my fighter before I prep my hauler.....go clear the path. Its part of the job and works well.
This is the job you accepted.

If its just random interdictions that are NOT a part of the mission..it happens.

So I have three hauling contracts open between two systems to carry a total of a couple thousand items, worth around 16 millions. Because of this, I have between three and seven interdictions to fight off with every trip that I make between the two systems.
My issue is, one of those interdictions sent me into a planetary ring, which then forced a submission - meaning that my Type 7 was easy pickings for the Anacondas that were chasing me, which cost me my Type 7, and one of the contracts plus the fine for not completing - about 10 millions all told.
As a relatively new player, this is not an insignificant sum to be losing, and I'm extremely frustrated with this obsessively intrusive mechanic - it causes me to lose around five minutes, per trip, of a 24h timed contract, if I find myself lucky enough to not die.
So, is there any way to make these interdictions stop, or am I cursed to risk losing any and all contracts I take?

I would like to add that these tend to occur either just after coming out of hyperspace, or just before entering the planet's SOI - essentially, it's a game of luck between evading or crashing and dying.

There are no easy way to say this, it is a learning thing. IF you check your missions, on atleast one of these, there would have been a statement similiar to this, "there might be ships sent after you"... this means, that once you accept any such missions, there is a "dice" rolled to see if there will be any ships sent after you.

Mission have a recommended rank, and higher ranked missions, will in this case, spawn higher ranked ships and large ships size, so if you are seeing high ranked Anacondas, then you most likely picked Deadly/Elite ranked missions. And also if the mission pays well, is also an indication that it might be a high ranked mission.

So this is how you watch out for this kind of stuff before.. but does nothing to solve the issue you are curently facing.

Interdictions, can be won, and with some practice, it is very much doable against NPC's. Type 7 is often a fairly competent ship in this regards, and if you compare it to its bigger sibling, the Type 9, it is immensely better! But this require skills, and only way to learn is by doing.

Sadly, trying todo combat in Type 7 against a high ranked Anaconda, is not easily done, and here the only way is lots of practice but also very important, your Type 7 need to be outfitted for this sort of action. But if you can stay alive long enough for security to arrive, they can usually take care of the attacker, and you can move on... and if you have atleast one laser on your ship, shooting at the attacker a little bit, just to tag it, you get the bounty when the security ships destroys it, and for Anacondas, that is usually in the range of 500 000, and it is usually 4 ships in the mission, so would be another 2 million.

Here comes some other tricks you can do.... when entering the system, do not fly directly towards your target. As where would that put anyone entering the system after you? behind you... so often you have time to get away from the sun, speed up and your pursuers have to get away from the star, giving you a safe distance, if you end up on "wrong" side of the star, and have to fly around the star, ALWAYS fly away from the star, as that gives you more spend and when you are a bit from the star, you can start to fly in big curve towards your destination. Why a big curve? because for anyone trying to interdict you, they need to be within range and BEHIND you. so if you fly a "longer" distance in a big curve , they need to fly faster than you to get behind your... and since you have a head start, they are should not be able to catch you before you need to slow down. This is why you should not fly directly towards you destination, as your pursuers will be DIRECTLY behind you, so once in range, they can interdict you.
So if am in your situation in a to weak ship, I go for the flying in such a big curve, that I arrive to the destination from the OTHER side, meaning, you should be able to see the sun behind your destination. As this means any pursuer, need to fly in an even bigger curve to get behind me and thus travel a bigger distance, they are very unlikely to manage to get behind me and be in range before I can exit at may destination.unless I fly in so big curve that I end up to far away from the destination and I fly in a straight line, this will once again give any pursuer enough time to catch up as I slow down.

So to recap:
  • Do not fly in a straight line to your destination
  • Do not fly around the sun to close, as that will SLOW YOU DOWN ALOT, fly AWAY from the sun, in whatever direction that is. Try this out, watch and compare your speed. (this also applies to flying around planets)
  • Fly in a big curve towards your destination. This makes is very, very hard for anyone chasing you to get behind you.
  • Arrive at the destination from back side. ie, the side that is NOT facing the sun, as this maximizes your chances to avoid interdiction by a pursuer.
  • AVOID flying in a straight line

There is another way if you see that targets will be send after you. and that is BEFORE loading up your ship with the cargo, change to your combat ship, assumes you have one, add small cargo rack, load mission cargo, and then fly that ship, get interdicted, and now hopefully you should be in a good position to fight the attackers. unless you have several mission with ships after you, you will only face one such ship at a time. And also, after a while, security will arrive and assists you, so just flying avasive and avoiding getting killed is a good tactic if you are not proficient in combat. But you still need to survive long enough for Security to attract the focus of the pursuer.
Of course, if you are already in your Type 7 with lots of cargo loaded, this does not work... as your combat ship most likely will not have have enough cargo space to allow you to change ships.

Its Elite: Dangerous.

Git gud. Nothing more to it.

Is this why in Project Cars you design or buy cars rather than drive them, or in Shadow or Mordor you never see the sun, or something like that ? Or is it just the title of a game, and the actual description marketed by FDev should actually be much more relevant ? Oh no, that can't be the case - it would have more than one dimension, an answer would actually force me to think.

Guys, you are really killing it with this one brain-cell logic of git gud and Uh, buddy, it's in the name!
How about asking the second brain-cell to come to the rescue...

Btw, this is n't directly related to the OP's issue but to this astonishingly idiotic "argument" I have read in this forum many times. Which doesn't flatter it, to say the least.

Yes, beat the Interdiction attempt.

If you win the Interdiction that pirate does not reappear until you drop out and then back into SC.

I have had different experience in the last few weeks.
  • signed up with a power, but not made any moves yet, instead hauling up to 60 tons of hutton mugs in various imperial backwater systems. Random interdiction in maybe every 5th system (not travelling through uninhabited systems). Usually some low level local yahoos (a Cobra or a couple of Eagles), yielding a few ten k in additional credits from the bounties
  • after completing the wait time (I'm only in it for the modules), collected some scalps for my power and am now running with half a mill or so PowerPlay bounties (from two factions). If there are the respective enforcers in the system, I get interdicted if I let them sneak up behind me, helping me in stacking up more PP merits (some people never learn). Yes, I could clean these bounties at an IF (did it for the first batch), but I want to collect my money first (and maybe they even get cleared when I defect, the wiki is a bit ambigous there).

Can confirm, though, that the HOSTILE status has no impact on station access or local reputation. I'm cordial with half the systems where the PP goons try to kill me. Only problem is that the HOSTILE flag overwrites the ILLEGAL CARGO warning, so you need to check the contents of your hold manually when you need to decide whether you should stick to the speed limit or rather boost into the station.
I'm not sure what you're saying there. You often get interdicted when carrying any cargo, which is nothing to do with being pledged to PP. Also, anybody will get random interdictions for a security check in high security systems, and you still get random interdictions from pirates when you don't have any cargo. Powerplay interdictions used to give messages that made it obvious that they were because of PP, but I haven't seen one for about three years.

I'm not sure what you mean by PP bounties because I didn't think that there's such a thing. Do you mean merits for undermining? If you get any more inderdictions, could you post what the message is?

My issue is, one of those interdictions sent me into a planetary ring, which then forced a submission - meaning that my Type 7 was easy pickings for the Anacondas that were chasing me, which cost me my Type 7, and one of the contracts plus the fine for not completing - about 10 millions all told.
As a relatively new player, this is not an insignificant sum to be losing, and I'm extremely frustrated with this obsessively intrusive mechanic - it causes me to lose around five minutes, per trip, of a 24h timed contract, if I find myself lucky enough to not die.

Sadly it is a sign of poor design, the mission system is very simple. For each haulage mission you take, an NPC pirate will potentially spawn, this can result in chain interdiction's.

You'll learn how to evade them, be sure to use lateral as part of your evasion technique. Still, after all these years I'll never figure out why 7 or 8 pirates want to chase me down for biowaste or any other product that can be easily purchased anywhere, just really poor design.

Btw, there are certain ports (depending on current system state) That will offer very high paying freight missions between surface ports on the same planet. The entire run is done in orbital cruise, no interdiction's.

As you mentioned, the only time it can happen is after you unpledge, but even that doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be.

Are you active in PowerPlay? When I was active (delivering PP stuff, shooting ships, etc.) to earn my prismatics, then I would get interdicted by enemies on occasion. Once I stopped doing PowerPlay activities and my rating had returned to 0, they stopped. Haven't had any for years (though do still occasionally shoot up enemies at nav beacons when I spot them). So, I'm wondering if the mechanic has been changed or if it is related to whether you are actively participating in PP or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by PP bounties because I didn't think that there's such a thing. Do you mean merits for undermining? If you get any more inderdictions, could you post what the message is?

Those bounties:
Screenshot_0954.jpg

I got them from shooting PP NPC enemies (Imperial Support or Private Security mostly, a few security ships that tried to interfere = undermining). Other than the PP security, nobody seems to bother about them (yes, I got scanned a couple of times by stations after acquiring them). When I took that image (i.e. right now) I had already cashed in my merits.

The interdiction messages... yep, still there in EDD:
From: Patreus Sentinel on npc: You backed the wrong person pal.
From: Patreus Sentinel on npc: You're in the wrong place.
From: Patreus Sentinel on npc: I've been hunting for your kind and now you're here.
From: Patreus Sentinel on npc: Ha! Got ya! The gov'ner's gonna promote me for this!
From:Torval's Shield on npc: You don't belong here! I'll make sure you learn this real good.
From:Torval's Shield on npc: You're the one claiming vouchers, are you? Well, I'm here to claim yours.
The Private Security one probably wasn't a pre-interdiction message, the others were.

Am I the only one who accepts delivery missions whilst sitting in my trade ship without actually taking the goods on board and then switch to my killer Vette and fly around the delivery systems swatting everyone sent after me before then returning to the mission giving station, switching back to my delivery van, loading up the cargo and then delivering it all in peace?

Is this why in Project Cars you design or buy cars rather than drive them, or in Shadow or Mordor you never see the sun, or something like that ? Or is it just the title of a game, and the actual description marketed by FDev should actually be much more relevant ? Oh no, that can't be the case - it would have more than one dimension, an answer would actually force me to think.

Guys, you are really killing it with this one brain-cell logic of git gud and Uh, buddy, it's in the name!
How about asking the second brain-cell to come to the rescue...

Btw, this is n't directly related to the OP's issue but to this astonishingly idiotic "argument" I have read in this forum many times. Which doesn't flatter it, to say the least.

The whole git gud just means that you should improve your skills. Only in one brain-cell games activities you don't need to improve your skills, no need to git gud. Fortunately Elite is not one of those and gitting gud is a big part in playing this game.

I have nothing to say about the title of Elite: Mostly Harmless, you right on that one. Now to the whole marketing thingy, I shamelessly "stole" this one from another threat:
stuff.jpg

See, it's a dangerous galaxy and not because of the name.

Lastly from the first answer people were explaining to op how the game mechanics function and what to do to master them, alias gitting gud.

After reading through the thread today, I've found some great help. I want to thank everyone for their answers, and I guess I'll just have to take fewer missions in the future :LOL:

I think the thing that irritates me the most is how often I get interdicted when unladen, because the person would get nothing, but... Oh well.

In response to those of you saying that it was specified in the mission details: Yes, I noticed that; I just didn't realise that apparently some missions will send two interdictors after you - one in each system that you shuttle between. I'll keep it to one or two large contracts maximum from now on.

To those who said 'git gud': I appreciate your most constructive feedback and will do my utmost to regard it in all situations henceforth.

To those who offered to teach me, and those who gave tips and instructional content: I appreciate the offer(s) and the input. My question was more "How do I get them to sod off", so I suppose I worded the thread wrong; my apologies. I'll make sure to clear the route from now on!

I think the thing that irritates me the most is how often I get interdicted when unladen, because the person would get nothing, but... Oh well.

That's because they don't want you to finish the missions, the cargo is not really their target.
Each mission could sent up to 7(?) people after you, look in the comms panel for the name and number of targets. They come sequential, if you kill the first one the next one comes and so on until you got them all. If you have 1 in 1 system and another in a different system then it's more likely you have mission enemies for 2 missions as they are not sequential. Sometimes I get chain interdicted 4-5 times from mission enemies for different missions.

Am I the only one who accepts delivery missions whilst sitting in my trade ship without actually taking the goods on board and then switch to my killer Vette and fly around the delivery systems swatting everyone sent after me before then returning to the mission giving station, switching back to my delivery van, loading up the cargo and then delivering it all in peace?

maybe not the only one. but i don't like switching, so i'll fly around until i get the full lot of mission npc's on me then take them all into a high sec nav beacon and watch the fire works. make sure to get my last few puny laser shots in for the credit then be on my way

Top Bottom