Horizons How can you tell where to sell illegal rares?

Hello. Collecting rares on my way through the Galaxy.... Now I find some that I picked up are illegal and I'm getting huge fines! So, if I sell these on a black market, will I get a good price (provided I'm a sufficient distance away)? Or do I need to find a system where they are legal? If so, how do I find a system where they are legal without flying through many systems where they aren't, havin to stop for gas and getting huge fines...id like to recoup some losses here...

any clues? The usual search sites to search for selling goods don't seem to allow you to enter rares. And the site that searches for selling places for rares never seems to bring up any place to sell for example Aganippe Rush.

Thanks for for any help on this!

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
1) They should sell at a profit in a Black Market suitably distant from the system where they were purchased.
2) Get a fuel scoop! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Robert, I'll pop in the nearest black market then....and I shoulda equipped that fuel scoop I know...opted for an extra gas tank instead. Didn't know I was going to become a smuggler on this run! :O

I had the same issue with leestian evil juice i just checked out the local systems till i found one where the red writing didnt come up. Didnt have to fly to them just target them...

I had the same issue with leestian evil juice i just checked out the local systems till i found one where the red writing didnt come up. Didnt have to fly to them just target them...

Yeah I've been doing that, nice to have that feedback now. But I'm surrounded by no-goes and I may run out of gas if I jump too much. Any ideas how to determine from the galaxy map where my cargo would be legal? For instance, I filtered for anarchy systems, but even those seemed to find my Aganippe Rush and something Brandy or Whiskey (I'm not in front of it at the moment) illegal. Any info anywhere that tells what type of things are legal in which affiliated systems?

Yeah I've been doing that, nice to have that feedback now. But I'm surrounded by no-goes and I may run out of gas if I jump too much. Any ideas how to determine from the galaxy map where my cargo would be legal? For instance, I filtered for anarchy systems, but even those seemed to find my Aganippe Rush and something Brandy or Whiskey (I'm not in front of it at the moment) illegal. Any info anywhere that tells what type of things are legal in which affiliated systems?

You can tell on the system map, info for each station lists prohibited goods.

One way is to use EDDB commodities list to find places that buy certain things - like narcotics, battle weapons, etc - that should help:

https://eddb.io/commodity

That site also lists prohibited items on it's station info page, so for drug-type rares for example: search for a station which buys narcotics near xxxyyy system, pick a good price point, click on the station name, check the prohibited items list, and so on.

Good idea MalcYorks. Funny thing is, I found systems where it doesn't tag my cargo as illegal, yet I can only sell it in the black market. Then I found one like that where I could sell it in regular commodities. Got the best price there, but maybe only because I kept going further away.

Good idea MalcYorks. Funny thing is, I found systems where it doesn't tag my cargo as illegal, yet I can only sell it in the black market. Then I found one like that where I could sell it in regular commodities. Got the best price there, but maybe only because I kept going further away.

There is a graph somewhere on the fora that shows rare goods %profit per distance. In effect max profit is about 160 to 170 Ly from source.

Top Bottom