How come we can't multicrew AND wing?

Was doing multicrew civil wars and a viewer noticed I was in the same system he was just in and wanted to join up, that's when I noticed I couldn't send him a wing invite due to being in a crew, how come we can't have a wing and a crew? Do they conflict with themselves with the internet code?

Imagine getting attacked by a wing of 4 ships and 8 slf fighters all flown by humans. Oh yeah the 4 ships get two extra pips each.

Nobody would ever play open again lol.

See this is why we can't have good things you INSTANTLY just jumped on the extreme end of things, I would have expected them both to count towards the total cap of either multicrew or wing so you couldn't do like you said.

See this is why we can't have good things you INSTANTLY just jumped on the extreme end of things, I would have expected them both to count towards the total cap of either multicrew or wing so you couldn't do like you said.

Its just what seems obvious to me. Maybe in private groups the restriction could be lifted? I really like multi crew and was sad when I found out you can't wing as well. But it makes sense as far as open goes.

Its just what seems obvious to me. Maybe in private groups the restriction could be lifted? I really like multi crew and was sad when I found out you can't wing as well. But it makes sense as far as open goes.
I was about to reply, that it would kill PvE balance. But that is already broken since Engineers, so yeah, why not.

4 ships 2 SLF's each that's 12 commanders multiply that by 2 for a second wing that's 24 people in the instance all hosted on one commanders machine - Peer to Peer network protocol limitations / Host Connection Bandwidth and latency, and the fact that the minimum spec PC or Console probably wouldn't be able to cope. The rubber banding is bad enough as it is when you wing up with a couple of mates in a HAZ RES.

4 ships 2 SLF's each that's 12 commanders multiply that by 2 for a second wing that's 24 people in the instance all hosted on one commanders machine - Peer to Peer network protocol limitations / Host Connection Bandwidth and latency, and the fact that the minimum spec PC or Console probably wouldn't be able to cope. The rubber banding is bad enough as it is when you wing up with a couple of mates in a HAZ RES.

P2P limitations? Not so sure about that part. Bandwidth for sure though. It only takes one can-and-string net user to make everyone else suffer in most cases. There are quite a few other factors at work that impacts Elite networking.

Well myself and a few lads really put this to the test on XB1. We had a SC chain and got ~ 7-9 ships into thargoid USSs, including one guy in multicrew. It was a little laggy, there was some "blue on blue" but it was a ton of fun. We one-shotted a few cyclops.

Not really a problem: if balance is the issue, they could just keep the 4-players limitation of wings even across multicrew. So you'd end up with, say, a wing of 3 ships but only one of them had more than one player on board, or or any such combination.
No, the real problem is most likely technical. Chances are it's closely linked to the reason we can't deploy an SRV in multicrew either.

If you want to keep some limitations, just only allow up to 4 CMDR*s to be in a wing, not 4 *ships.

Then you could have a ship with two CMDRs, and 2 other ships.
Or 2 ships with 2 CMDRs in. Or whatever.

Done!

Admittedly, it's a bit limited. But solves any balancing and net code issues.

Why can't we multicrew and SRV at the same time, especially since 2x2 vehicle bays exist in game already. it would be cool to take a buddy SRVing with me out on the rim.

Heck, my Distant Worlds 2 Krait Phantom had a size 6 vehicle bay (4 SRVs) mounted in it! That's enough for a whole wing and 1 more than what multicrew supports.

As for why we can't do wings and multi-crew - balance issues plus network code issues. Multi-crew with SRVs? Last I heard, that was purely a code issue (and more serious).

/disappointed.

If you want to keep some limitations, just only allow up to 4 CMDR*s to be in a wing, not 4 *ships.

Then you could have a ship with two CMDRs, and 2 other ships.
Or 2 ships with 2 CMDRs in. Or whatever.

Done!

Admittedly, it's a bit limited. But solves any balancing and net code issues.
Actually, I'm not sure that would solve the code issue. After all, Wings are parties of 4 players max and Multi-crew is parties of 3 max. And with multi-crew, you have the extra pips, and I doubt they want us to get 3 free pips, so...

In principle, I agree. I wish they would flesh out multi-crew and let it work in combination with wings in such a manner. I'm not holding my breath on this, though.

Top Bottom