How dangerous is the witch head region?

I'm in a dbx at the moment.

Do the thargoids still ignore you if you ignore them? If I get pulled into normal space, can I just run away?

How well stocked is this region? I really just want to repair my dbx, maybe call another ship over and arm it for ax. Are there large pads nearby?

Once done, I aim to keep moving onto the other nearby nebula for exploring/sightseeing.

Will I die if I arrive in my dbx?

• you're safe, all they want is to scan you
  • yes there are L-sized landing pads, docks are averagely supplied
  • good luck.The Witch Head is a perfect base camp for exploration.
  • you shouldn't unless you do something unwise

• you're safe, all they want is to scan you
  • yes there are L-sized landing pads, docks are averagely supplied
  • good luck.The Witch Head is a perfect base camp for exploration.
  • you shouldn't unless you do something unwise
I wouldn't say perfect basecamp for exploration, Colonia is far better for that.
Keep in mind that regular incursions seem to be happening over there now, which turns stations into a burning mess. So not exactly a good place to stay.

Only times they'll open fire immediately is if you go to a NHSS which starts with a scout spawn.
Good list!

Also at wrecked megaships if they happen to spawn scouts. Yes, I am Mr Edgecase today :)

Edit: <sigh> I missed another : Wrecked Megaship rescue / repair scenarios can also spawn annoyed scouts when they start, and the Interceptors are pretty grumpy too (if they see you).

Carrying any Thargoid/Guardian cargo (not including Meta Alloys)

I have been driving a 1-piece targoid’s sensor chip in cargo for the second year and I can't get rid of it in any way. It is considered a manufactured material. The FD developer told me that its presence in the hold of my ship should not attract attention from targoid.

I have been driving a 1-piece targoid’s sensor chip in cargo for the second year and I can't get rid of it in any way. It is considered a manufactured material. The FD developer told me that its presence in the hold of my ship should not attract attention from targoid.
materials are not cargo. Cargo is in the Cargo hold.

No burning stations this week? Was it a one off or is it like a few months ago where they forgot to put them in?

Just got to Witch Head a few days ago - other than getting killed immediately iin my first Thargoid scout encounter it seems pretty safe. Stupidly I didn't test my fire group setup first and my turret settings were mucked up. Since then racking up the kills and gaining combat rank fast. Battle seems to be completely your choice. If you don't go into a Non Human Signal Source it seems pretty safe (in PVE anyway). Stations can be a headache. I went one that was still repairing and didn't have much to help them with as I'm in a total Anti Xeno build Krait II. Only room for 4 decon limpets as cargo. On the plus side 2 AX Multi's + 2 Guardian Gauss quickly finishes off scouts. Haven't gone into a grade 5 NHSS as I'm not sure I could take on a Cyclops yet and survive. Still learning how to aim and time the Gauss fire. Overall having a grand ol' time squashing scouts. There are fully functioning stations with large pads you can dock at (Orbital and Ground) So I far haven't been interdicted by any Thargoids. My backup plan for now is try and run like hell if that happens. Cheers and fly safe commander.

I've kind of made Witch Head my new home for a while - not dangerous at all unless you're looking for bugs to slay (one of the reasons I went down there). I'm hoping the recent incursions are a sign of more exciting things to come (but I'm not holding my breath.)

Besides, some of the views at the outposts are pretty spectacular...

No burning stations this week? Was it a one off or is it like a few months ago where they forgot to put them in?

Oh there's a fire all right -Jumped into Ezra Point to have a look see and and decided to stop at the rescue ship to help out. Dropped all my hull reinforcements for cabins and started making some runs into the station.

Fairly high pucker factor on the approach but not too bad once you get used to dodging the debris and fire columns inside the station. If you've been mining before just like dodging asteroids.

Someday I'd like to know how a few seconds inside a burning station can cook my ship faster than high orbit around a star refueling. Hope the poor sods on the station have their rad suits on. Me I never leave the cockpit.

I sent a few pictures to the gang back in Tengye if you're interested in a view from the front lines -

Dashcam view view of Ezra Point (is this thing on?)

20200127205721_1.jpg

Wombat on approach -don't judge the paint job too harshly, it was a freebie

20200127205810_1.jpg

Starting to have second thoughts about my newfound altruism...

20200127205944_1.jpg

Holy Sh........................

20200127194643_1.jpg

Nothing like a column of fire next to the landing pad to make you feel all warm inside about helping others

20200127210104_1.jpg

Whatever the Alliance is paying this guy is not enough

20200127194856_1.jpg

Getting the heck out of dodge with a belly full of paying passengers

20200127210450_1.jpg

Let's just say it was a dynamic flight environment

20200127210521_1-jpg.160503

Dropping heatsink on the way out (nice fireball! in the exit bay) - note the 4 e-mail messages from some of the civvies in my passenger cabins complaining about being in a hurry to get off the station!

20200127194937_1.jpg

On approach to the Ezra Point rescue ship and the satisfaction of a job well done - and a sellers market for passenger cabin space!

20200127195117_1.jpg

Fly safe commander!

Attachments

• 20200127210521_1.jpg
    20200127210521_1.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 998
Oh there's a fire all right -Jumped into Ezra Point to have a look see and and decided to stop at the rescue ship to help out. Dropped all my hull reinforcements for cabins and started making some runs into the station.

Fairly high pucker factor on the approach but not too bad once you get used to dodging the debris and fire columns inside the station. If you've been mining before just like dodging asteroids.

Someday I'd like to know how a few seconds inside a burning station can cook my ship faster than high orbit around a star refueling. Hope the poor sods on the station have their rad suits on. Me I never leave the cockpit.

I sent a few pictures to the gang back in Tengye if you're interested in a view from the front lines

Yes, there were burning stations for a week then none for a week and this week another 3. We will have to see if there are some tomorrow.

Nice shots. It is fun in there, even more fun if you hang around to pick up the items. You just need the right ship.

i am doing tescue runs at the Evangelis system right now. I am grinding federation. Is there anything wrong with those promotion missions, like, when you are 100% ensign and are about to get a higher rank? It does not seem to work?

Last edited:
i am doing tescue runs at the Evangelis system right now. I am grinding federation. Is there anything wrong with those promotion missions, like, when you are 100% ensign and are about to get a higher rank? It does not seem to work?

You won't go up a rank until you do a rank mission. There are not any in the Fed system in Witch Head as far as anyone knows, but there are plenty back in the bubble. Keep gaining reputation, it adds up "behind the scenes" so when you get back to the bubble you will probably have enough to go up 2-3 or more ranks at once. Earn the Fed rep while you can, taking the rep reward for every mission handed in, and worry about gaining the actual ranks later.

Yes, last time I was out there, I got plenty of Fed rank from burning-station rescues but no rank-up mission anywhere in Witch Head. I was immediately offered a rank-up when I returned to the Bubble.

Now back there again, making rapid progress to Admiral (just because). I did have a mishap, getting my Beluga stuck on something inside the station near the mailslot: 400cr fine for obstructing the mailslot, couldn't get free, killed by the station seconds later. There is apparently no prison ship in Witch Head, I suddenly found myself 600ly away at The Penitent, in the Pleiades. With no fuel scoop or FSD Booster, as I'd replaced those with passenger cabins in the rescue ship.

If you're heading out that way, I'd recommend going via the Pleiades and stashing a spare fuelscoop and FSD booster at The Penitent (you'd probably have to transfer the booster from the Bubble). Swap to passenger cabins at the rescue ship (size 6 Economy not available out here, so use size 5 until your 6's get transferred-in). If you end up at The Penitent, fit your backup fuelscoop and booster, and transfer-in your old ones from the rescue ship before you leave, in case it happens again...

Thanks! I noticed that. Flew to Ceos just to try it, and there were two Progression missions. Right now I am back at Evangelis, collecting Rep Points. I guess I Need About 90 times a visit of the Burning ship to reach rear Admiral...we will see

I was making about 9% progress per trip, working through Vice Admiral. In a Beluga stuffed with Economy passenger cabins, I can stack about a dozen Rep+++ missions.

But, as noted previously, flying a Beluga in a burning station is not without risk.

Top Bottom