How do I switch cockpit mode? Help.

I'm way out in the black, can't use ADS or DSS. It says "Module can't be used in this cockpit mode". How do I change it. Thanks for any help.

Yeah, I mapped a couple buttons. Switches between combat mode and analysis. Now I gotta learn how do discover planets again. I'm an Elite explorer and I feel like a novice. I just hope I don't screw up, cause I"m about 30,000 Lys from the nearest port.

Set your binds. console players got a notification to on the main menu when booting the game.
It only takes a minute or so, way less time consuming and fewer binds to set than when they added the camera suite which I only just got round to binding in the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, I mapped a couple buttons. Switches between combat mode and analysis. Now I gotta learn how do discover planets again. I'm an Elite explorer and I feel like a novice. I just hope I don't screw up, cause I"m about 30,000 Lys from the nearest port.

Can't really screw anything up. One of the most beloved 3.3 features is having you throttle down so you don't crash into anything while scanning :D

sollisb

Banned
Can't really screw anything up. One of the most beloved 3.3 features is having you throttle down so you don't crash into anything while scanning :D

Well... Don;t map all the required keys and enter the DSS screen... No way out unless you task manager kill the process.

so iv been looking for a few weeks, finally I caved and came to the forums to ask. 1. how to I switch cockpit modes so I can use a scanner and a mining laser. 2. I did look to see if there is a command to map for mode switching..i can not find what its called no matter how I look. whats the command for it called and which subsection is it under?
3. why is mining no under weapons..they are a laser after all ? 4. what other commands are new in last couple months?

No fire groups required for FSS/combat mode functions.

Map 'FSS mode ON' to a button, and ALSO map 'Change UI mode' (from the interface section of the controls) to the same button.

Now you will use your throttle to control whether the button opens the FSS or if it switches combat mode.

Example.

I'm in SC, and I want to use the FSS, I THROTTLE ZERO, and press the FSS button. The FSS opens, I scan the system. When I've finished, I CLOSE the FSS (using the close button, a different control), and I am back in SC looking at the standard UI, but I'm still in ANALYSIS mode.

I THROTTLE UP, and then press the FSS button (which is also mapped to change UI). This does NOT open the FSS, cos we are not at throttle zero, instead it changes the UI mode, cos that's what we told it to do. You can now switch between combat and FSS mode using that button, AS LONG AS the throttle is not zero, if it is, I will simply open the FSS again.

Hope it helps, by miles the most efficient way for me.

Last edited:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/453098-Default-key-bindings-for-the-new-features

These are the ones I’ve used and then I just bound change mode to a number on my key pad. It was a bit frustrating (was a it salty about it at first but I’ve gotten used to it and the new system has grown on me some) at first since I have custom key binds and all the new stuff comes unbound as a result. And since that’s the case the ‘help’ section they provide consists of ‘pres unbound to change mode, then press unbound to focus and unbound to...’ blah blah blah. Not helpful. These binds have worked for me well tho and they’re pretty intuitive once you get a little time with them.

(You’ll prolly notice not all new things are bound using these binds. Other than switch mode don’t worry about it too much not everything new needs to be bound really)

Last edited:
Also ADS and DSS aren’t really a thing anymore. ADS and DSS are one thing now, the FSS. when you honk you still get what the ADS used to do (but won’t show planets on map) and when you go onto FSS mode and zoom in on a planet it’s the same result as the old DSS, except you don’t have to fly 372,546 ls to that nice Earth Like you just found. Just point and tune. You’ll have a thing called a DSS still but that’s a mapper. You can fly out and pop probes at a planet to map it which will give you a small mapping bonus and a “first mapped” tag below your first discovered tag if it hasn’t already been so. But really what the new DSS is good for us finding geological sites and biological POI’s etc. it’ll show you all those if you map a landable.

Ps, all ships come stock with the FSS (combined ADS and old DSS) and you’ll have an open module spot since the old one has been removed.

No fire groups required for FSS/combat mode functions.

Map 'FSS mode ON' to a button, and ALSO map 'Change UI mode' (from the interface section of the controls) to the same button.

Now you will use your throttle to control whether the button opens the FSS or if it switches combat mode.

Example.

I'm in SC, and I want to use the FSS, I THROTTLE ZERO, and press the FSS button. The FSS opens, I scan the system. When I've finished, I CLOSE the FSS (using the close button, a different control), and I am back in SC looking at the standard UI, but I'm still in ANALYSIS mode.

I THROTTLE UP, and then press the FSS button (which is also mapped to change UI). This does NOT open the FSS, cos we are not at throttle zero, instead it changes the UI mode, cos that's what we told it to do. You can now switch between combat and FSS mode using that button, AS LONG AS the throttle is not zero, if it is, I will simply open the FSS again.

Hope it helps, by miles the most efficient way for me.
Damn. That's good.

Don't try to assign everything now. Just assign controls as you need them.

A good simple start set up is any old joystick button you don't need for FSS switch then joystick x&y panning hatswitch up&down zoom in and out hat left&right adjust frequency, second trigger select target ahead, first honk. I've not bothered with the other controls surface scanner is simple by default.

One of the most important things is don't just map the first keys that come to mind and leave it at that, sure it gets you working, but there are different ways to map keys that make using the FSS far quicker and easier than others. Once you have your basic setup experiment, for instance I use joystick twist for tuning, I tried throttle but it meant I needed two hands to map a system rather than one, so experiment a bit and get the best setup for you and your devices.

How do you do it. Specifically step by step every single comment in this thread acts like the user knows what they are doing.
what is the incantation.

Top Bottom