How do you record video of Elite gameplay?

I'm not a newbie to the game, but more new at making a recording of my gameplay. I have resisted thus far as I assumed it would slow my framerate and gameplay itself. As well, I have not seen any threads on this forum on how this is done, the tools or apps needed, or the best and worst ways to do it, as well as tricks and tips in getting the best results. So, I have a MSI-FXA990 m/b 32GB Ram, AMD-9350 proc. running at 4.0Ghz, with a GTX-1070Ti/8GB of Ram and some SSD's with space to capture video.

I also see wonderful gameplay and video made of gameplay for instructional purposes, like the "Pilot" who does these on ship types with opinions and audio overlays, but I can wait for these instructions, and this tread would be a good place for those suggestions and comments.

Any suggestions on how best to do these things?

o7.....

Last edited:
There's two ways you can do it, record directly from your graphics card or use software to record
As you have an Nvidia card, see if you have a program in your graphics card settings called Shadowplay
If you want to try using software, there's a number of options such as OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), XSplit and a version of OBS made by Streamlabs referred to as SLOBS (StreamLabs Open Broadcaster Software)

As you're running a graphics intense program to record with, it can impact your gameplay. The biggest way you'll notice is what is referred to as dropped frames. This is where the recording can't keep up with the game, and so it skips frames to try to keep up. The higher the buffer rate you set, the less likely this is to happen, but the more intensive it will be on your system. If you find recording in 1080p is problematic, try recording in 720p instead. You also have to think about frames per second (fps) as some systems can't record very well in 60fps, if so, try 30fps instead.

Using a graphics card to record your gameplay can be less intensive, but you have less control over what is happening, than you would with a program like OBS. Sometimes using a graphics card is necessary as OBS has (the last time I checked) issues trying to capture games like X4 that use Vulcan to process graphics.

I'd also suggest that you make sure you're capturing the same resolution as your game, which should be set at the same resolution as your monitor. Make sure it's a 16:9 resolution as well, so that if you did want to upload it to a site like Youtube, you won't have black bars on the sides, or top and bottom or maybe even all around.

I've done some recording and streaming, hence why I can comment on this. I'm not the only one in this community that does this, so there should be many others who can advise you. I'd suggest checking out a youtube channel called Gaming Careers, while he focuses on streaming, his videos will help you with capturing as well.

Last edited:
+1 for OBS. It can use either a software encoder or your NVidia hardware encoder - depends on whether you have more CPU or GPU cycles to spare during gameplay. Impact is pretty low regardless. And there's a lot of control for overlays and scenes etc, although that is more useful for streaming rather than recording.

Windows has built-in game recording these days as well ever since the "Creators Update" whenever that was. Haven't used it but generally the built-in MS solutions work but don't shine. I really wish there was a way to permanently uninstall (not just disable) all that cruft MS insists on stuffing Windows full of.

Finally your graphics card software -should- have some sort of streaming/recording capability as well (NVidia's certainly does). Tried it, but OBS beats it hands down ever since OBS "learned" to use nvidia hardware encoder directly.

Look for GeForce Experience that is normally installed with Nvidia drivers, this will have Shadowplay that is used to record game video.
Newer versions require a log in to use Shadowplay, older versions don't.

Look for GeForce Experience that is normally installed with Nvidia drivers, this will have Shadowplay that is used to record game video.
Newer versions require a log in to use Shadowplay, older versions don't.
I used it. I totally liked the idea of constant recording in the background of last one-two-three minutes with the ability to save recent moments at any time. I had no framedrops but I noticed sound "cracks" regardless to recorded quality during gameplay. This drop in quality I could not survive so I left the idea.

@CMDR Maylor Rom
Live streaming or Post game play recording and editing..
Live streaming requires Separate Software requirements over Post gameplay uploaded video uploads...
Live streaming puts extra load on PC as your PC has to convert the video Data stream to the streaming site bit rate and codec live...

Screen and audio Capture software only aka no live streaming can reduce the load as they will use the dedicated encoder in the GPU for instant saving of frames to HDD with out down scaling load... it will record the hole screen at a set frame rate... youtube is 30 or 60fps so recorders need to be set the same..

Post game play edited videos then require editing... Live streams being live won't be edited... so don't require video editors...

Test your ISP first..
You may find your forced to do Post gameplay video editing and uploads as you ISP will Cripple data to Live streaming providers not all ISPs Like streaming and have set up Traffic management to cripple users trying to Live stream... Even if you pay for " up to" 10mbits upload.. the ISP can Block Youtude, mixer and Twitch to data rates that cause the quality to be as bad as 480p upload... "up to" means ISP can cripple uploads and not provide what you pay for...

Not all Video editors are for all people... but using one will greatly improve your viewers experience but one editor for one person can suck realy badly for another person..
Youtube can help you find Videos on Which video editor is right for you...
Windows does have completely Free video editing software, there is no requirement to pay unless you require an editors specific features...
One such Youtube video below (not mine)... or you can find your own video on video editors via google search ...

As I edit in Linux not Windows ( Dual boot HDD ) the Software I use on linux is not stable enough on windows to recommend...

Last edited:
I've been using the NVidia built-in Shadowplay thing for years. It has some issues (occasional lost sound for me), but mostly it works fine and it's always there.

Top Bottom