How do you record video of Elite gameplay?

The Replicated Man

T
I just use the default ReLive AMD software. It works well enough :)

Cool suggestions.

A few caveats.
1) I am using Windows 10 LTSC, so I don't have all of that extra stuff in my OS, no Game Bar, No M$ Store, No Creator Update, No Recording Features, No Media Streaming. LTSC is for running a Kiosk or an ATM, so it is a bear bones OS. No problem, as there are many alternatives as listed above. I also use Linux as the primary OS, and Windows is just for gaming.
2) I do have Nividia's Experience, and have "ShadowPlay" and something called "Ansel". I tried ShadowPlay and it dropped my framerate by 50% and seems to stutter.
3) My ISP is Spectrum Cable with 100mbits down and 30mbits up with no data caps. Will this be enough to pump video to YouTube?
4) How much space do these video's take up? I'm sure I have enough space for 10 or more, but I doubt I could store hundreds of GB in videos.
5) Storing and deleting this much data, will it wear out an SSD quicker than it would otherwise die?
6) Is OBS for making video with audio/text overlays?

I'm more interested in making a series of informational videos using my gameplay, as opposed to just recording and posting them.

I'm more interested in making a series of informational videos using my gameplay, as opposed to just recording and posting them.
OBS wont be enough..
Youll need a Full non linear Video editor software as well... To put in pre recorded or add on voice audio clips and extra sub titles and information based over layed text...

The reason for nvidia solution causing lag is likely because your running a stripped version of windows and its not allowing the GPU dedicated Video encoder to run as its sat doing nothing while games run any way... Thats why nvidia included the encoder in GPUs so that render part of the GPU is not over loaded with software encoding of video steams..

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. Looks like I need some serious software like "Filmora" for what I want to do.

Feel free to continue the discussion, as I'm sure there are many folks wanting to do this, and your suggestions would be of value to all.

o7...

Cool suggestions.

A few caveats.
1) I am using Windows 10 LTSC, so I don't have all of that extra stuff in my OS, no Game Bar, No M$ Store, No Creator Update, No Recording Features, No Media Streaming. LTSC is for running a Kiosk or an ATM, so it is a bear bones OS. No problem, as there are many alternatives as listed above. I also use Linux as the primary OS, and Windows is just for gaming.
2) I do have Nividia's Experience, and have "ShadowPlay" and something called "Ansel". I tried ShadowPlay and it dropped my framerate by 50% and seems to stutter.
3) My ISP is Spectrum Cable with 100mbits down and 30mbits up with no data caps. Will this be enough to pump video to YouTube?
4) How much space do these video's take up? I'm sure I have enough space for 10 or more, but I doubt I could store hundreds of GB in videos.
5) Storing and deleting this much data, will it wear out an SSD quicker than it would otherwise die?

Shadowplay always uses the NVidia hardware, I believe, while OBS can use that or software rendering (and it has a couple of choices there), so you may get better results with OBS regarding framerate drop (i.e. try each method and see which is best). Your connectivity is absolutely fine for streaming.

Using OBS, a 2 hour session takes just over 2Gb of space on my drive (I encode to mp4, packaged as mkv). I use normal HDDs for data storage (I have several 4Tb drives in RAID). Depending upon your SSD, the machine is more likely to fail around it - the Samsung ones have around 100 year MTBF.

You can add overlays with OBS, but you probably don't want to as they'll be hard written onto the video (which will affect editing later). Use OBS to capture, and something else to edit (lots of choices out there).

I went with Nvidia's Experience and happy with the results. I don't see "shadowplay" but the latest download/drivers comes with "Instant Replay". This sounds like the same thing. I set it to record the past 10 minutes of game play. I just have to remember to save after something interesting happens. After I save it to MP4, Win10 has built-in video editing that gets the job done.
  1. Right-click on MP4 file saved from Instant Replay
  2. Open with "photos"
  3. click -edit & create
  4. click -create a video with text
  5. From here I can trim the video, add music and other stuff I haven't explored yet.
  6. Export back to MP4 with new filename
  7. upload to Youtube channel

Raw recording of capture content should be done at 60Mbits per second minimum to get as much data before the editing. this is for 1080p at 60fps...
The first capture is high bit rate to get as much data when recording the live gameplay so that when editing the final version the high compression version for upload gets to choose the better compressed frame detail for the end encode... 1080p at 60 fps should be out putted from video editor at about 30Mbit per second..
You will be encoding twice so you need to start with High quality frames as Each time it encodes the quality gets worse, the worse you upload, then youtubes encoder will make it look even worse, so you need the best quality you can stand to upload...

Waiting for the upload time to complete is the worst... as the higher your upload speed the slower every thing else on the web gets as ping time to other sites has a massive increase as the connection to Youtube starts to effect the ISP on how it handles constant data at high bit rates...

1 hour of edited footage of content should be ~11GB of storage of highly compressed footage for upload...

I went with Nvidia's Experience and happy with the results. I don't see "shadowplay" but the latest download/drivers comes with "Instant Replay". This sounds like the same thing. I set it to record the past 10 minutes of game play. I just have to remember to save after something interesting happens. After I save it to MP4, Win10 has built-in video editing that gets the job done.
  1. Right-click on MP4 file saved from Instant Replay
  2. Open with "photos"
  3. click -edit & create
  4. click -create a video with text
  5. From here I can trim the video, add music and other stuff I haven't explored yet.
  6. Export back to MP4 with new filename
  7. upload to Youtube channel
You are correct. I think Nvidia changed the name of this recording software.

I just downloaded it to give it a try. Thanks....

Can't Find a high quality example of 1080p 60 Fps on my youtube i did, so heres a BD menu title re-encode but its only 1080p at 30fps...
O yep thats Google Drive hosting <2min clip for 259MB download...

Some one asked what I use on linux. yep its kdenlive after ripping/ capturing from Stand alone HDMI PVR hardware...

On PS4 I use sharefactory when being lazy... as over night encoding of content gets boring...

I use Win10 so to record get game bar by WinKey + G and choose record from now, saves as a AVI.
Mind never tried editing it, probably need other software for that.
I have watched videos of ED and host of video is shown in a Picture in Picture window in the recording.
Do not know how to do that.
BB

I use Win10 so to record get game bar by WinKey + G and choose record from now, saves as a AVI.
Mind never tried editing it, probably need other software for that.
I have watched videos of ED and host of video is shown in a Picture in Picture window in the recording.
Do not know how to do that.
BB
Win10 -
  1. Open with "photos"
  2. click -edit & create
  3. click -create a video with text
  4. From here I can trim the video, add music and other stuff I haven't explored yet.
  5. Export back to MP4 with new filename

Now I see what you intend to do, using gameplay to make informational videos .... I suggest using OBS to record (you can use it to stream, but it'll record just fine). Then use a video editor to add the overlays and graphics etc (again OBS can do this on the fly as you're playing, it was designed for streamers, but if you want to make videos to uplaod to Youtube, add the graphics in the video editor instead).

OBS is free, and for video editing, give Olive a try http://olivevideoeditor.org a professional quality video editor, but it's free and open source.

And to answer your SSD question, SSD drives have no moving parts, unlike traditional HDD drives. SSD drives are like big flash drives, so in theory, they shouldn't wear out anywhere near as quickly as a HDD drive. You should expect to get hundreds of GB of B-roll footage (technical term content creators use for non-specific footage) and have a means to back up everything, ESPECIALLY completed videos.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom