How exactly does hyperspace work?

Grab a piece of paper - that is normal space.
Draw 2 points towards each end.
Now bend the paper so the points are above each other.
Hyperspace is the gap between them.

Last edited:
Supercruise in a system and Hyperspace jumping to another system is a game parameter where every player is equal short of some maneuvering and acceleration differences between a Sidewinder and a Cutter. It's the game design so that NPCs and live players can interact for better or worse. In local space then all the outfitting and engineering a player did matters a lot! Experience is then very important.

Jumps work in a straight line from one system to the next one. But they are never in s straight line from the bubble to say Beagle Point. The better the ship jump range the less jumps closer to a more straight line. Using the Neutron Highway helps a little to get there.

Hyperspace as I see it is more Star Trek TNG going to warp drive with interestng things in ED to look at while in it. But it is not warp drive per the techno babble of the series the writers gave the Jordi LaForge character the lines to explain it. Frontier moved on and didn't hire the Hollywood writers.

Nor is it folding space. Then the Fleet Carriers arrived and from what I can see they are folding space to accomplish a jump. There are player reports seeing the FC leave into the 'dark dust' while at the same time another player sees it arrive. As for real science there is none in our current understanding of it. Ask me again in 400 years.

Regards

Last edited:
Supercruise in a system and Hyperspace jumping to another system is a game parameter where every player is equal short of some maneuvering and acceleration differences between a Sidewinder and a Cutter. It's the game design so that NPCs and live players can interact for better or worse. In local space then all the outfitting and engineering a player did matters a lot! Experience is then very important.

Jumps work in a straight line from one system to the next one. But they are never in s straight line from the bubble to say Beagle Point. The better the ship jump range the less jumps closer to a more straight line. Using the Neutron Highway helps a little to get there.

Hyperspace as I see it is more Star Trek TNG going to warp drive with interestng things in ED to look at while in it. But it is not warp drive per the techno babble of the series the writers gave the Jordi LaForge character the lines to explain it. Frontier moved on and didn't hire the Hollywood writers.

Nor is it folding space. Then the Fleet Carriers arrived and from what I can see they are folding space to accomplish a jump. There are player reports seeing the FC leave into the 'dark dust' while at the same time another player sees it arrive. As for real science there is none in our current understanding of it. Ask me again in 400 years.

Regards

Hyperspace, clear on the inside and cloudy on the outside.

Trans-dimensional catapults, albiebangles drives, alucbeard drive... 😅
This thread is making me smile.

You missed out on Albuquerque!

Ah. Event Horizon. The shortest distance between two places is zero. folds space and rams a pencil through it
That all didn't end well.

Damn, there's going to be a hell of a lot of pencils floating around in witchspace - maybe that's why the thargoids are angry? They keep getting poked in the eyes with space pencils?

Damn, there's going to be a hell of a lot of pencils floating around in witchspace - maybe that's why the thargoids are angry? They keep getting poked in the eyes with space pencils?
You mean regular pencils? There's no need to make a space specific version of a pencil, a regular pencil works fine in space. Now, a pen is a different story entirely.....

You mean regular pencils? There's no need to make a space specific version of a pencil, a regular pencil works fine in space. Now, a pen is a different story entirely.....

Good point, there's probably no need for the pencils to be space pencils, especially if they are interdimensionally travelling to just poke aliens in lots of their eyes :D

Good point, there's probably no need for the pencils to be space pencils, especially if they are interdimensionally travelling to just poke aliens in lots of their eyes :D
They have to be sharp duh! How else do you pierce realities and dimensions???

:cool:

The speed of light can be broken by taceons made in super colliders, so you can exceed it
We are currently trying to find a graviton which if we are right about it will generate a +/- gravitational field ( like EZO in mass effect )
This is current research at cern
This is significant due to E=mc*2, lower your "mass" and energy requirments plummet,
We still got to find it and then find a way not to get liquidated on accel and decell.
Its still a long ways off but its not as Sci-fi as people assume

And we have got to do this before the world spits us off it, right now we are loosing

The speed of light can be broken by taceons made in super colliders, so you can exceed it
We are currently trying to find a graviton which if we are right about it will generate a +/- gravitational field ( like EZO in mass effect )
This is current research at cern
This is significant due to E=mc*2, lower your "mass" and energy requirments plummet,
We still got to find it and then find a way not to get liquidated on accel and decell.
Its still a long ways off but its not as Sci-fi as people assume

And we have got to do this before the world spits us off it, right now we are loosing

Well er... Tachyons are theoretical particles, that, if they exist, could travel faster than light.

So..erm... Well.

OP - Navigation malfunction caused by UA? I know its not strictly speaking hyperdrive malfunction but its how I always explained it to myself.

Im still not entirely sure why he (Jacques) didnt continue the journey when he could. I mean Colonia is nice for a visit but its a real cesspit to live in.....runs and hides in the Synuefe system until it all calms down.*

*I was JOKING...Its a terrible place to visit as well.

First of all, it is tachyon, not taceon. Second, tachyons are hypothetical particles that have not been experimentally observed. Their existence would be ... problematic ... for current theories of physics.

Errrrr they do exist, peeps in Geneva found them about 2 years ago
No. There was a report from the OPERA experiment in 2012 or so of an anomaly that could be interpreted as neutrinos being tachyons. It later turned out to be due to instrumentation errors (loose cables).

Edit: The entire story, with appropriate references, can be found on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

Top Bottom