Newcomer / Intro How far can you go?

I'm sure this will have been asked before but just how far can you go in ED can you go further than the systems linked with the solid blue lines or is the systems that are linked the "edge of the world" so to speak. I ask this because I want to get to a sector but its LYs from any systems linked with blue lines. I hope this makes sense. TY

zooom out on the map, as far as you can you see a whirl of stars , you can go everywhere in that whirl, its called the milky way

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

If you go out far fit a feul scoop, stations are rare if you go out far, routes you need to make yourself

because of the sheer number of calculations it would take to extend it further, the "spiderweb" is limited to a max radius of 100ly around your current location. Solid lines indicate you can do it on a full tank of fuel, they go dotted after refueling would be required.

You can go anywhere in the galaxy (in Gamma folks already visited Sagittarius A, our galaxy's supermassive black hole, the Pliades and the Orion nebula) provided you don't run up against a gap that your ship can't jump across or run out of fuel in a system with no station and not carrying a fuel scoop.

Beware relying on the fuel scoop too - not every star is scoopable. Out in the boonies beyond populated space you can run into a string of unscoopable stars and be in trouble. Without either a station or scoop and scoopable star, running out of fuel is fatal.

To extend on what other people have said. Your ships Frame Shift Drive Module generally controls how far you can jump in a single jump. That, combined with the size of your fuel tank (also upgradeable) will define how easy it will be for you to get around. Combine a decent graded set of those with a fuel scoop and the galaxy is yours.

Those 'lines' on the map aren't universal, they are what your ship has calculated as jump capable routes based on your ship's current set up. Bigger ships, or exploration centric ships (asp, adder e.t.c.) will have a higher jump range and larger fuel storage capacity as standard compared to other ships of the same size.

The galaxy map travel lines will update and change based on what your ship currently has installed in respect to travel based mosdules (FSD, over all weight/mass, amount in cargo hold (extra mass), Fuel capacity, current fuel stored, and so on).

You can also change the routes calculated from 'economical' to 'fastest' in the galaxy map. This will recalculate them, giving you more direct routes outward, at the expense of a shorter distance applicable to your fuel capacity within the 100LY radius. Of course this is capped by the absolute range of your FSD and bound by the mass of your ship compared to that.

Try stripping all modules off your sidewinder and installing an A class FSD, then go look at those lines ;)

Last edited:
because of the sheer number of calculations it would take to extend it further, the "spiderweb" is limited to a max radius of 100ly around your current location. Solid lines indicate you can do it on a full tank of fuel, they go dotted after refueling would be required.

You can go anywhere in the galaxy (in Gamma folks already visited Sagittarius A, our galaxy's supermassive black hole, the Pliades and the Orion nebula) provided you don't run up against a gap that your ship can't jump across or run out of fuel in a system with no station and not carrying a fuel scoop.

Beware relying on the fuel scoop too - not every star is scoopable. Out in the boonies beyond populated space you can run into a string of unscoopable stars and be in trouble. Without either a station or scoop and scoopable star, running out of fuel is fatal.

Cheers Dave........... I hope Alpha Cygni is scoopable.

To extend on what other people have said. Your ships Frame Shift Drive Module generally controls how far you can jump in a single jump. That, combined with the size of your fuel tank (also upgradeable) will define how easy it will be for you to get around. Combine a decent graded set of those with a fuel scoop and the galaxy is yours.

Those 'lines' on the map aren't universal, they are what your ship has calculated as jump capable routes based on your ship's current set up. Bigger ships, or exploration centric ships (asp, adder e.t.c.) will have a higher jump range and larger fuel storage capacity as standard compared to other ships of the same size.

The galaxy map travel lines will update and change based on what your ship currently has installed in respect to travel based mosdules (FSD, over all weight/mass, amount in cargo hold (extra mass), Fuel capacity, current fuel stored, and so on).

You can also change the routes calculated from 'economical' to 'fastest' in the galaxy map. This will recalculate them, giving you more direct routes outward, at the expense of a shorter distance applicable to your fuel capacity within the 100LY radius. Of course this is capped by the absolute range of your FSD and bound by the mass of your ship compared to that.

Try stripping all modules off your sidewinder and installing an A class FSD, then go look at those lines ;)

Thank you too. I know some of these questions new players ask sound a bit dumb but without an actual manual it can be hard to figure some of this game out. PS I'm a bit passed a sidewinder now :)

Thank you too. I know some of these questions new players ask sound a bit dumb but without an actual manual it can be hard to figure some of this game out. PS I'm a bit passed a sidewinder now :)

nah mate it's totally fine! there isn't a manual, and the game is as unintuitive as it is complicated. Ask away! No one's judging round these parts :)

Top Bottom