"How hard can the basilisks be compared to the cyclops?" i thought to myself...

So in the recent week i gone fairly deep into cyclops hunting with my chieftain.
With 30+ kills under my belt and pretty much mastering the battle (~80-95% hull left at the end) and I can usually kill 2 cyclops in a row before going back to station for re-arming.
So i thought i'm experienced enough and il give the basilisk a go.

Yeah.....

Dropped into NHSS level 6 and met my first basilisk.

After the usual normal introduction with both of us scanning each other, I opened fire on him with my twin gauss cannons.

4 volleys i barely scratched him and didn't even exposed the first heart.

So i thought il use the normal cyclops strategy of out running him and focus on the swarm, and then come back for the goid.

Not going to happen, he had no problems catching to my 540 m/s chieftain and dealt much larger damage to my hull.

So killing the swarm without the goid in the background was impossible, and i took some heavy beating, killing the 64 swarm though was not a problem with even just 1 flak cannon, i just took too much hull damage from the goid before even focusing him.

Disapointed, I Had to high wake out, with the bad feeling that I didn't even had a chance...

So clearly cyclops tactics don't work with the basilisk because its MUCH faster, hes also far more tankier and deals lots of damage.

Is there a chance to solo one with the chieftain? was it done before? because the firepower limit is really felt now, 2 gauss cannons doesn't seem to cut it, and the hull/shields aren't enough to withstand the fire while taking down the swarm.

I'm thinking perhaps coming back with a FGS will make things better..but then again, dealing with the swarm+ goid at the same time makes me doubt that, since its a slow ship.

Any tips would be appreciated (And yeah, i did watch Fangs videos).

Whats even more weirder is that watching Fang's FDL solo, the goid was fairly passive and didn't give chase, so he had plenty of time alone with the swarm...
In my case he went full EMO and chased me relentlessly at full speed.

Last edited:
firepower limit is really felt now, 2 gauss cannons doesn't seem to cut it
Two gauss DPS is enough even for Medusa. It would take a crapload amount of shots of course, but DPS is enough. As for Basilisk, i've never killed one with two gauss, but i killed Medusa with three (you can click on my signature and look for FAS vs Medusa video). I think it's about the same, as killing Basilisk with just two (DPS wise). Also, we have one crazy guy, who killed Basilisk in a Cobra MKIII. So two gauss is definitely enough.
Also, more hearts you kill, less DPS is required to exert next ones. But i think you know that.
Is there a chance to solo one with the chieftain? was it done before?
Yes, i saw a couple of kills at our discord channel:
https://discord.gg/kUeqTee

he had no problems catching to my 540 m/s chieftain
So clearly cyclops tactics don't work with the basilisk because its MUCH faster
How exactly do you kill the swarm ? General tactic is to boost away from it, fa-off, turn and shoot the swarm while you are flying backwards in fa-off mode. You are probably trying to do something different, because Basilisk is faster than Cyclops, but not THAT faster. You should have absolutely no problems in Chieftain.
Any tips would be appreciated
Show us your loadout.
Exert and kill first heart fast, boost away, kill the swarm "fa-off reverski style", shoot the Goid, rince and repeat
Also i suggest you to join our discord server. We have lots of great and skilled guys, who would be glad to help you.
+it's a good idea to record one of your attempts and show us. So we could tell exactly what is wrong.

Last edited:
Canonn site states same speed for all of the interceptors - 450 m/s.

I haven't killed a Basilisk yet but reverse flying (preferably with FA off) seems to be the key to all Thargoid interceptors.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I kill the swarm with the same tactic i do it in the cyclops > max speed away from the goid, FA-OFF in full reverse (~400-500 m/s) and kill the swarm, sometimes i don't even bother to reverse as full speed in FA-OFF because the cyclops arrives way later after i already dealt with the swarm.

In my basilisk attempt, I couldn't build enough distance between me and the goid (after i failed to exert the first heart, when going for cyclops i usually exert and destroy the first heart, boost away and kill 2x swarms before going back to the cyclops ) to deal with the swarm alone, like i do in every cyclops kill, he went full throttle and kept close to me, for some reason, so i took near constant fire.

This is my build:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/alliance_chieftain?code=A2pktkFflndpsif40H0Hx8---04xsSn02B1m9m70dm32b2b2b.Iw18eQ%3D%3D.Aw18eQ%3D%3D.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42QsU4CURBFL%2BAGcGGXt6ywGhMVdzGxILQ0dLbG0m%2BgooDOgpKaGCsLP8HSwtIP8AMstuQD7FxmmHmJj3ZfcXOTe%2BbO5IHqAHaeSLER8T%2BrQHvVAsyjuOjDB9LfCsAVmjrySaTx8Mcc5iOg934k5LcUcZV6DlqIhArFScF88hYCybYGXK%2B7Qtbo7J%2B0kJ2PNbIQezRxTSuRZouYj58NcKVuoC5TN1THAd05%2FFU7f8RG46XUfTWBi3wmkKFMIakHdFPUuQHO7TkR3bv5mc7rueZS%2BtN5X%2FI%2B3br8Rf9J%2BwONjN2keKqOk9LkaWmScXh7l7JnCrIBAAA%3D.EweloBhBGSQQwHbwMYHtEBN4hhfQA%3D%3D%3D

My shields aren't optimized, i should get them to reinforced but i doubt that's the deal breaker here, im just doing something wrong.

How do you proceed to open the battle? lets say if you have 2 Gauss canons, do you exert and try to kill the first heart right at the start? or open fire and then boost away to deal with the opening swarm first?

Il get back there and try again, and this time record the attempt, i was just way too demoralized that evening.

Last edited:
I kill the swarm with the same tactic i do it in the cyclops > max speed away from the goid, FA-OFF in full reverse (~400-500 m/s) and kill the swarm
That's perfect.

In my basilisk attempt, I couldn't build enough distance between me and the goid
Yeah, i completely forgot. Sometimes there is a bug, when Thargoid moves much faster than it should, over 500ms. But generally it happens after the first heart, when Thargoid is in "glowing yellow state". It does it for about 30 seconds or around that, then it drops it's speed and rest of the fight goes normal. (It happened to me only a couple of times)
If it happens to you, i suggest to just boost away at full pips until you see that Thargoid dropped it's speed.

My shields aren't optimized, i should get them to reinforced but i doubt that's the deal breaker here, im just doing something wrong.
You definitely should get them to renforced. The difference may not look much, but actually it is (+40%).
Also you have way too many MRP's. One 4D is enough. My suggestion would be to get 5A SCB, swap 2C slots for HRP (or just one if you want to be extra safe with AFM) and get another 4A SCB. They are much more usefull. You should reduce hull tanking a Thargoid to absolute minimum.
But that's my suggestions. Your stats are enough to solo a Basilisk, but i think you are doing it the hard way.
Also think about throwing Xeno Scanner away. I know that you get used to it, but you are stepping up into a big game, where all unnecessary things should be thrown away.

How do you proceed to open the battle? lets say if you have 2 Gauss canons, do you exert and try to kill the first heart right at the start? or open fire and then boost away to deal with the opening swarm first?
In a ships like it's better to exert and kill the first heart fast, then deal with two swarms. Of course you can open fire, boost away and deal with the opening swarm first, or even kill it from the back, like in my Corvette videos (but only if you have enough shield, so you don't lose them while Thargoid shoots at your back) but i think it's not necessary.

Il get back there and try again, and this time record the attempt, i was just way too demoralized that evening.
Yeah, it could be frustrating sometimes, i spent ALOT of time on my Corvette "No Reboot" kills, before i started to do everything right. Either way, record your attempts and good luck )

Any tips would be appreciated (And yeah, i did watch Fangs videos).

Whats even more weirder is that watching Fang's FDL solo, the goid was fairly passive and didn't give chase, so he had plenty of time alone with the swarm...
In my case he went full EMO and chased me relentlessly at full speed.
*Sneezes*

Damn it allergies.

But uh, sometimes goids do travel at ungodly speeds. To fix it, simply boost past it and I always find their pursuit speed after that acceptable and manageable.

With 30+ kills under my belt and pretty much mastering the battle (~80-95% hull left at the end)
Well then, that's only 22 more than I, and good job on the hull! my record is 84% in a cutter (2,500 armour). So to do that in a little wee Chieftain is quite a feat! Congratulations! o7

Allright, went back for basilisk hunting again today.

Went a bit better this time, i managed to take the 1st heart out.

Approximately 7-8 volleys are needed to expose it at <1.5km and then 3 volleys to knock the heart out, seems its more resilient than cyclops.

This time i came with reinforced shields and 5A SCBS, that was a great tip, it greatly helped me face tank the basilisk while exposing the first heart.

That try ended however in a very unexpected way.

After i exposed the 1st heart, I boosted away to deal with the swarms.

1st swarm i got to 4 strength and he respawned it back to 64.

After dealing with it as well and coming back to the basilisk he spawned a third swarm and i took heavy damage at close range since i didn't expect it.

My only explanation to this is i guess that i have hit the enrage timer, but i don't think it took me 7 min past the first heart to kill both swarms...this was weird.

However, the difficult part is the time i need to spend in front of the goid, shooting him to expose the heart and taking a serious beating in return.

Anyway progress is progress, il try again tomorrow and see if i can get farther.

P.S.

I think its indeed time to part with the xeno scanner and stack another heavy duty shield booster.

Also, the discord channel seems to be pretty empty, was trying to find some fellow xeno hunters this evening but didn't see anyone in any lobby or room.

Last edited:
I've seen practically constant swarm production that depleted our flak reserves and whole wing was forced to retreat. And that was a cyclops... Definitely looked like a bug to me, but a rare one probably.

I did it! i can't believe i actually did it! with no premium ammo on top of it all!

it took me around ~30 min but i finally killed my first basilisk, with 17% hull left,that was incredibly tense!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1383617815

I replaced the xeno scanner with another shield booster and it made a huge difference, i was able to face tank for enough time to expose and shoot down the hearts, he didn't even use surge once the entire fight.

I think il replace the field shutdown as well for a 3rd booster, and if i face a surge il just boost + FA OFF it worst case.

I lost the majority of my hull because at some cases i had issues separating the goid from the swarm, some times he flew faster than the swarm and went like 4 pips to engine and sticking to my 6, taking down my shields and hitting the hull and i simply couldn't out run him.

(The most common occasion was me face tanking, exposing the heart, shooting it down and boosting with around a ring of shields left...then suddenly he goes FULL throttle leaving the swarm behind him, take off my shields by shooting my 6, ~20% hull and then slow down to normal speed....)

After a certain period of time he would slow down and i could build enough distance to deal with the swarm, its really weird, sometimes the goid goes full boost and sometimes hes passive.

That was my build (with fixing as a result of the suggestions here): http://www.edshipyard.com/new/#/L=C90H4C0S0,LYS0LYS0L3K0,DBwG5Ia16004qpD8u00Cw58DBwG5Ia16004qpD8u00Cw58EBD0CjwG2G31000Oy00Sy00,9onG5H50upD4v7iAkPcEkPcIkPcAAAG3H40sPc50pD8phXEphXAPoG5H56qpD8phXEq00GwPcKypDAdsG5Ha0upD6qpD8qpDGyPcAtyG3022_006wPcB8gG3G6IkPcKxCpQkPcSxCpYkPcaxCpBLAG3G32_Pc6y00Iu00Bb60,15OG5H50wPc4zmfAqpDEqpDIqpD15OG5H50wPc4zmfAqpDEqpDIqpD15OG5H50wPc4zmfAqpDEqpDIqpD,7UeG7H6Kw58UoPcWphXcrHxgrHxkrHx7iM023u020m00Iw0

Whattaday....

Mission accomplished then! thanks everyone for your advice!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pffft, those were three Cyclops. ;)

Incredible, will definitely take a peak at your build.

Brave, I wouldn't.

EDIT: Is your boost speed really 330? Seems a bit low to run away from the interceptor.

Ah, my boost speed is ~528 m/s, according to EDSY which is around the same in-game.

Does anyone know if the speed is still a problem in 2019 as I'm boosting at 549 and it's able to catch me up within seconds

Also the best I got was 97% Hull left in a ferdie on a cyclops

Top Bottom