How I Lost Millions Worth of Data in an Instant

4.6 is high, and it your ship suffers 4.6 times the pressure in the collision than it would were it to crash into Earth, having no shields means every time you touch something your ship's integrity suffers, if you wanna go explore AND come back to tell about it... Shields will help and a stronger hull will last longer, Neutron star jumping does damage the hull and at the moment we can't fix that, and when you come back the's a good chance of Pirate attacks and Player attacks.
Whoops I meant to type 0.46g not 4.6g. Also I play in a private group so I don't deal with players and never deal with pirates (I always escape interdictions and won't stop until I'm at the starport).

tl;dr: I just lost days worth of exploration data because I wanted to land on a planet before going to bed.

Don't feel too bad. You didn't really lose much at all.

I lost a 20 million-rebuy Cutter and 500 million in void opals when I was moving my keyboard and accidentally hit the TAB (Boost) key and boosted right into an asteroid. Yep. It happens.

Whoops I meant to type 0.46g not 4.6g. Also I play in a private group so I don't deal with players and never deal with pirates (I always escape interdictions and won't stop until I'm at the starport).
Ahhh!, even so half a sack of flour can still make a dent, and without shields (and perhaps poor integrity) it can make you think!

LOL, that's a major typo... 4.6 G had me going O.O I don't think I'd even try to land on a 4.6 G planet.

When I was super new planetary landing was kinda hard for me and you said you'd only landed one time before, so I wouldn't sweat it too much that you crashed on a .46 G planet. There's a learning a curve to acquire a light enough touch on thrusters when landing. At least there was for me.

The last exploration data might hurt a little, but easy enough to just go explore some more and earn it again, nice to see you handling it well enough to laugh a little at yourself by making this thread.

You’ve joined the Planet Cracker club TC. It happens. Some tips would be to bring some shields to power on when landing. Think of it as a landing buffer. It’s worth it to lose the bit of jump range for some good quality thrusters as well.

Neutrons stars are (for me anyway) significantly easier to boost off of than white dwarfs.

Neutrons stars are (for me anyway) significantly easier to boost off of than white dwarfs.

I discovered a few months back that trips through the cones of both white dwarfs and neutrons are cumulative when charging your FSD. So now on WDs and neutrons with shorter cones, I approach the tip of the cone very slowly until I just enter it. Then cut to 0 thrust. If I get tossed out before my FSD is charged, I just repeat until done.

It's obvious and covered by pulling up, but know which of your ship thrusters are more/less powerful. Even if you can't pull up, aligning your next-best thrusters straight down still helps.
It also helps avoid heat buildup: IIRC, poor lateral thrusters on the Dolphin means turning it on its side makes your heat skyrocket.

Only 4.6 G and no shields, yeah like thats not going to be a problem :)
Lost an asp explorer myself that way once. Invest in shield and put 4 pips to them when landing, saves a lot of gnashing of teeth.
I was once landing and out of habit turned flight assist off to do a quick turn, smacked in to the ground and popped like a baloon and i wish that was the dumbest thing i ever did in elite.

It's obvious and covered by pulling up, but know which of your ship thrusters are more/less powerful. Even if you can't pull up, aligning your next-best thrusters straight down still helps.
It also helps avoid heat buildup: IIRC, poor lateral thrusters on the Dolphin means turning it on its side makes your heat skyrocket.
I found that canyon running warms my Clipper up way fast when I have to squeeze sideways... or dog fight planetside.. only pretend dogfight cos I don't have weapons.

tl;dr: I just lost days worth of exploration data because I wanted to land on a planet before going to bed.

I started in Elite Dangerous a couple months ago. . . . Definitely had over 50 million credits worth of data, maybe even 100 million, and it was all gone in an instant . . . Really ruined my whole night. Want to die. . . . Guess I'll just have to get back out there and do it again.
So welcome to Elite Dangerous! We all have and will again, make a mistake that costs CRS---almost passed out the first time I lost my fully engineered Cutter to an Elite NPC, rebuy plus fines for mission/cargo loss 54M, all because I lost focus on damage/shield loss.

So, it's called dangerous for a reason, and after 2 years playing almost everyday (benefits of retirement) I'll warn you, ED is addictive but oh what fun it can be (39 ships, 8.5B Crs, King/Admiral and very close (but not quite there yet) to Triple Elite). Exploration was my first Elite, trading my second and still cannot decide what I like best in this game. Learn something from every unfun experience and they will become a genuine source of the best part of this game: you don't play it to win it, you play it to experience it. And like real life, just about the time you think you have it all figured out, it will smack you in a way that will humble you, and you like the rest of us will know there's still more to be learned.

Again, welcome to Elite Dangerous, o7 Cmdr.

P.S. Really enjoyed your writing style, brought back a lot of memories of what I went through learning to land on hi-G planets; now 2.7G are nothing but high profit trading sites for my 3 Cutters.

I started in Elite Dangerous a couple months ago. At first I wasn't crazy about it, but I was able to buy an ASP Explorer after doing a wing mission with friends. Started grinding missions to get Federation ranks so I could visit Sol. After that, I decided I'd try exploring. So I spent almost an entire afternoon and night jumping to systems, scanning them, mapping planets, and then flying back and turning in my data at a starport. I got 1,000 LY away from Sol, got around 46 million credits and had a good time.
Now I'm really into the game and wanna keep exploring. About a week ago I take off on my mission to leave the Inner Orion Spur. Spent a couple nights jumping my way to the Outer Orion Spur, using Neutrons, scanning every system and mapping the valuable bodies, until I finally make it and get the achievement for leaving the Inner Orion Spur.
Now time for the long trip back. Did the same thing going back, jumping to systems, scanning, mapping, using Neutrons.
I was about to call it a night after scanning 3 terraforming candidates in a system. One of them has planetary landing. I just got Horizons last week and have only landed on a planet once, so I think why not land on this one before logging off. I fly to it, have a beautiful approach, going to land in this big crater, when I realize that the ground is coming up faster than I realized. I start pulling up and thrusting up, but it's too little too late, my ship bonks into the ground. All the HUD immediately disappears on me and I'm in shock. My ship is gone. Days worth of data is gone. Definitely had over 50 million credits worth of data, maybe even 100 million, and it was all gone in an instant because I wanted to do a cheeky planetary landing before going to bed. I tried closing the game quickly hoping it would undo it somehow, but, alas, my ship was still gone. Really ruined my whole night. Want to die. Was SO looking forward to turning in that data and seeing how much I would get for it all. Now I'll never know.
Guess I'll just have to get back out there and do it again.
Oh yes we've all had those moments in this game. You give up for a while, then you come back wiser, more careful not to risk it all on one final gamble before closing down for the night.......

Sorry to hear OP, I'm prepping for long distance travel now so read your post as a cautionary tale.

To all; what is your ' I-won't-land-on -that-planet' g limit ?

One thing I don't do is that I NEVER use vertical thrusters down while landing. Just never. Because you don't know how hard it will be to stop the descent if you use it. I always just fly down like an aeroplane, and when the glide is complete I immediately level the ship just in case I'm coming in too fast. In my experience, anything above 0.1G requires some attention, and above 1.0G it's dangerous. I've landed on Achenar 3 before (6.7G), it can be done, but I wouldn't land on any planet while exploring, unless I really needed materials. Long travels make you tired and get used to safe travel too much. It's easy to get caught off guard.

It's 0.46 g OP made a typo and corrected it. So basically "just" pilot error and no or too small shields. Happens, can be prevented, but happens.

OP don't listen to the shieldless or D rated 73 mj shield faction, and equip decent A rated shields or even smaller prismatics with several E rated boosters.

My exploration Krait Phantom has a 4A reinforced prismatic and three E rated boosters for a total of 950 mj of shields, and a respectable jump range of 55 LY.
It's basically ungankable and - while I didn't test it on higher g's - I'm quite certain it would've shrugged of a frontal faceplant ("lithobrake") in your 0.46g planet without problems.

Not necessarily, no. You could've also been talking about general exploration.

What?
It's perfectly clear:
To avoid splatting on a planet (and this goes for "general explorers" too, whatever those might be) one ought to fit decent shields.
It's a no brainer, and your implied objection is strange to me

To go from a 3D ELP/stripped down shield gen, to a 3A prismatic reinforced/hi-cap even w/ a larger powerplant, only costs about 1.5 Ly.

Suggesting people forgo decent shields for a negligible "benefit" is what cost this Cmdr his ship and data.

It's 0.46 g OP made a typo and corrected it. So basically "just" pilot error and no or too small shields. Happens, can be prevented, but happens.

OP don't listen to the shieldless or D rated 73 mj shield faction, and equip decent A rated shields or even smaller prismatics with several E rated boosters.

My exploration Krait Phantom has a 4A reinforced prismatic and three E rated boosters for a total of 950 mj of shields, and a respectable jump range of 55 LY.
It's basically ungankable and - while I didn't test it on higher g's - I'm quite certain it would've shrugged of a frontal faceplant ("lithobrake") in your 0.46g planet without problems.

I suggest the low Gs support the premise that the shields were way too weak.
73 is enough for a minor scrape.
My mat collector Phantom has ~900 and jumps over 60Ly.

It's such a silly thing to cut corners on, and the people who suggest it are remiss.

Top Bottom