How long will Elite Dangerous rule the world of space games?

I have been taking a brief look at other upcoming space games. Some are marvelous, others are average and many are just terrible.

In one of my articles, I stated that Elite, the pioneer of space games returned thirty years later to take the crown from Eve Online, which had ruled the space game world for fifteen years. Director Braben commented that Elite Dangerous will revolutionise science fiction from the fantastic Star Wars' quality to realistic quality. And that seems to be happening through the new space games coming up. Nearly all of them possess the features peculiar to space games including reasonable physics engineering but they are expensive to construct. It's diverse, qualitative and competitive now in all the alpha and beta releases. And they are coming to change the gaming world everywhere and inspire our ambition to reach the future.

Now the question I want to ask is: How competent will Elite Dangerous be when these games are established. Will it have advanced further than them all or its crown will be taken and given to _____?

I have been taking a brief look at other upcoming space games. Some are marvelous, others are average and many are just terrible.

In one of my articles, I stated that Elite, the pioneer of space games returned thirty years later to take the crown from Eve Online, which had ruled the space game world for fifteen years. Director Braben commented that Elite Dangerous will revolutionise science fiction from the fantastic Star Wars' quality to realistic quality. And that seems to be happening through the new space games coming up. Nearly all of them possess the features peculiar to space games including reasonable physics engineering but they are expensive to construct. It's diverse, qualitative and competitive now in all the alpha and beta releases. And they are coming to change the gaming world everywhere and inspire our ambition to reach the future.

Now the question I want to ask is: How competent will Elite Dangerous be when these games are established. Will it have advanced further than them all or its crown will be taken and given to _____?

Its all hearsay until the other games are released isn't it ?
Who knows? Who is to say? All supposition.

verminstar

Banned
Heres a weird perspective...I started this game on pc, but due to the age of the thing and being in a state not far from the poverty line in life, it finally kicked the bucket after about 9 months.

Welcome to the world of consoles verm!

Thankfully fer me, Ive had an xbone fer years as Ive been a multi platform gamer fer years, and lo and behold...my number one game is on the xbone too...oh goody I feel like a little kid again whooppee!

PC players have more choice so from my point of view, theres nothing else on the console that can even begin to touch elite. Not yet anyway ^

Many of them will try but won't make it. Space games are hard to construct. They are not arcade type of games.

As much as I was a fan of the X - series, I can not defend the last iteration of their game.

A serious overhaul of the GUI from previous games would have made X3 a legend, but instead of doing this they pretty much changed everything what made the series remarkable.

I really do hope the get back to their old formula, at least a bit.

Eve Online is going to have to put more effort in developments because there is going to be a race among space MMOs in the coming years.

Space games are primarily designed for PCs

It will be a long while yet before any other competitor comes close imo. There are many space games, but the majority are based on a space fantasy background and the scope of stars can be severely limited depending on how much the handcrafted narrative limits the game. Isn't EvE online mainly a giant mmo rts? It could very well not be not set in space and just be a bunch of ground units. Inifinity Battlescape backdrop would seemingly be on one star system at a time for a campaign. X4 looks good visually, but looks to be still set on a 2D sector map of a fantasy galactic backdrop. The closest competition could be Dual Universe, but they look to still be years away, so I'd say ED at least has that many years before any other game seriously offers the same type of realism emphasized interstellar gameplay in a simulated galaxy model.

As much as I was a fan of the X - series, I can not defend the last iteration of their game.

A serious overhaul of the GUI from previous games would have made X3 a legend, but instead of doing this they pretty much changed everything what made the series remarkable.

I really do hope the get back to their old formula, at least a bit.

Do you mean the later X3 games compared to the first one, X3:Reunion? The "old formula" as in X2? I thought while changed a bit from X2's gui, X3: Reunion was still pretty decent.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to X4 from Egosoft.
I love the X series.

I hope they've learnt their lesson from rebirth.

Seriously though, we had people say elite would be over as soon as No man's Sky came out and they've been saying that Elite will be Dead when Star Citizen comes out and there's star fighter inc and also House of the Dying Sun (Has that been released yet?). I really don't see any serious competition until Star Citizen is up and running and I'm concerned SC will get the same kind of inch deep, galaxy wide criticism because you can't have a plot driven mission game in a sandbox without if feeling like a theme park type of MMO.

The one that looks like the biggest "threat" to Elite is star citizen, but it's still a ways off. It will be interesting to see how things go down as SC gets further along in development.

people will play it for as long as the servers are alive...it'll just be less and less people.

I think the bulk will leave as soon as star citizen is able to be run at a decent framerate on anything less than a top tier computer. This will probably be around mid-2019 as 1080's and similar amd hardware will be last generation and much cheaper and new hardware will be significantly faster considering the die size reductions coming later in 2018.

Gameplay wise, star citizen is going to start out of the release gate on extremely solid ground compared to what ED is currently working with. It will however, completely lose the casual player audience....but really, who cares about them? they'll be happy with any garbage that rewards players for pressing buttons over time - just so long as it doesn't require them to be good at it.

So my guestimate is mid-2019. Unless things seriously change.

Do you mean the later X3 games compared to the first one, X3:Reunion? The "old formula" as in X2? I thought while changed a bit from X2's gui, X3: Reunion was still pretty decent.

Ah, sorry.

What I meant was, they should have reworked the GUI of X³ instead of making Rebirth.
I still don't get how nearly no developer gets the main problem of complex games :

I want to play the game, not the menu.
Considering the fact that Masters of Orion 2 was basically the height of GUI development, this is getting out of hand.
The very first mod for each of the last three Elder Scroll games were solely made to make the horrendous GUI somewhat usable, but did they take the hint ? [wacko]

I have to stop myself now, I could rant for pages about this topic.

Okay, one last point :
There was once a football manager for Amiga. From one version to the next the managed to double the sales, with one simple, yet extraordinarily efficient change : The studio decided that every single task had to be achieved with a maximum of two mouse clicks. Instant success.

TAKE THE HINT, DEVS AROUND THE GLOBE !!11ELEVEN! RRAAAARGH [mad]
Do not make players play the menu. Let them play the game.

Phew. That had to get out I guess :D

The one that looks like the biggest "threat" to Elite is star citizen, but it's still a ways off. It will be interesting to see how things go down as SC gets further along in development.

The only "threat" to anything at all that Star Citizen poses, is the remote possibility it will ever actually release, and thus cause a catastrophic wordwide shortage of lulzbuckets, and an apocalyptic deluge of lulz of biblical proportions.

Top Bottom