[DW2] How many have dropped off?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Out of the 13,282 sign ups i wonder how many have already succumbed to space madness/space boredom/missing home and have abandoned the event?

no way of telling i suppose unless they name and shame themselves.

I haven't dropped off, the computer service is waiting for parts. When I get the comp back, I'll catch up in a week.

EDIT: I don't think there is any shame in dropping off, it is a LOOOONG way...

Last edited:
Why wonder - why not just look it up? https://www.edsm.net/en/expeditions/summary/id/58/name/Distant+Worlds+2+-+A+Voyage+of+Discovery

Looks like around 30% made it to the last waypoint (not much point looking at this week yet as many will be taking the info about being closest to Colonia and heading there first, I know that's where I am). ofc it seems only about 50% bother to upload their tracks, but they are probably the more dedicated / organised explorers, so it's likely less than 30% of the total.

(And that drop-off seems typical for exploration trips, other expeditions see the same pattern)

Why wonder - why not just look it up? https://www.edsm.net/en/expeditions/summary/id/58/name/Distant+Worlds+2+-+A+Voyage+of+Discovery

Looks like around 30% made it to the last waypoint (not much point looking at this week yet as many will be taking the info about being closest to Colonia and heading there first, I know that's where I am). ofc it seems only about 50% bother to upload their tracks, but they are probably the more dedicated / organised explorers, so it's likely less than 30% of the total.

(And that drop-off seems typical for exploration trips, other expeditions see the same pattern)

I only just got to the last waypoint. But I not part of EDSM and I would say that a large number of others are not part of it too. But I do expect a drop off though. Always going to happen.

Last edited:
I missed the last waypoint simply because I was busy scanning and mapping some systems and had read there were no organised events so thought I wouldn’t miss too much.

I hadn’t realised that skipping a waypoint may be picked up and possibly thought of as a potential drop out. As I have no intention of dropping out and this is my first organised expedition I’m guessing it may be advisable for me to hit each waypoint to ensure I’m registered as completing the expedition in several months time?

I'm not on EDSM but will be with DWII all the way there and back. I do expect that space exploration and long trips such as this aren't for everyone but would estimate that 20% completing the whole thing would probably be generous.

Probably a bit early to come up with a definitive figure at this stage, while the expedition is still travelling through what is basically "civilisation". That would affect dropout rates in both directions: some would be taking time-out in Colonia, while others will stay in for now and maybe drop out when there are no more stations nearby.

I'm an "unofficial" participant (not on the roster), I didn't want to commit myself to thwe whole thing, but I've been tagging along and completing each leg of DW2 (sightseeing) while also migrating several ships to Colonia (recently doubled back from Jacques via Gandharvi, will probably complete the current section tonight). When I reach Polo, I'll return to Colonia for a bit, then hit the trail again towards Sag A* (I might wait until a couple of new sections of the route are posted, then do both). That could be part of a larger pattern, people hanging around in Colonia for awhile and then running to catch up with DW2 when they're 2 or 3 weeks behind.

I'm not part of DW2, but the last expedition I was part of, I ended up doing the opposite - instead of dropping out, I raced to the finish line early and did my own thing for a few weeks while the official fleet caught up. Since the "finish line" was Colonia, and I had never been, this worked out well.

As fun as it was gathering with a fleet of ships at each waypoint in the beginning, the novelty wears off after awhile. I can only do SRV stunts and goofball ship-stacking so many times before it becomes "Meh."

Last edited:
I personally have fallen very far behind. Last time I logged in I was approaching Waypoint 3, but I haven't been able to keep up with the weekly pace and actually do detailed exploration, and some nights I've just not felt like it. Being so far behind, I'm getting a bit of a feeling of "what's the point?".

I personally have fallen very far behind. Last time I logged in I was approaching Waypoint 3, but I haven't been able to keep up with the weekly pace and actually do detailed exploration, and some nights I've just not felt like it. Being so far behind, I'm getting a bit of a feeling of "what's the point?".

If you have a ship engineered with a 40+ LY jumprange, you can catch up with WP5 in three hours or so. You're not *that* far behind.

I wonder what the numbers/percentages of drop off there was in the first event? That might be an indicator of what to expect this time. Im planning on going the distance and back. Its not so bad in an Anaconda because if you need to or want to you can get there and back fairly quick if necessary. Since I had never been to Colonia, I took the opportunity to head out there and change up by build a bit. I was already at the next waypoint before I decided to go. Round trip and time spent was about 3 hours I think, probably less really as I spent time outfitting and milling about a bit and the obligatory morning coffee breaks and such. So I have done about 20,000 ly's this week already. I always take the scenic route and I scan as I go. I didnt scan on the trip to Colonia and back though. Not to mention, Ive made about 700 Million credits since I left the first waypoint and discovered a few not before known ELW's and other things. All in all, been a good trip so far.

This isnt all I do either as my first love is racing and spend some time every week doing that. Throw in some Far Cry and some other here and there (a little KSP maybe). Keeps me busy and keeps away space sickness. :) I work for a living too so there is that necessity.

I imagine a fair few people, probably with no experience of long-distance exploration, will have started to realise just what a major commitment this is, and perhaps called it a day.

But you know what? That's fine. Hopefully, those who have dropped out may now want to try a little exploration on their own terms, perhaps a trip of a few days or weeks instead of most of the year. Start small, and build from there. There are countless different ways to play this little game, and I just hope players are getting the most out of it in their own way.

Got to waypoint II a day late, left it early, and haven't logged in for 2 weeks.
The FSS is destroying my desire to continue.

I feel your pain. I've resorted to only scanning systems where the initial honk reveals multiple gas giants, and checking if any of them are in binary or otherwise nested orbits, have anything interesting within their ring systems, etc. Anything else, I move on.

Doing this has helped me to catch up though, after my detour to IC 4634 caused me to fall behind for a couple of WPs - and I'm now sitting in Gandharvi, preparing to check out stuff like the clockwork rings as I make it to the next wp. I'm way behind where I was after the same amount of travel time on my first trip out to Colonia though, and my Anaconda back then had a 10ly shorter jump range than my current ship.

Last edited:

I just can't keep up with the weekly pace. I am going nuts right now as I am stuck in Clooku and cannot seem to find a plot to get to waypoint 5? 4? I can't even tell anymore. If anyone is on Discord or Bone and can dm me, please send me a plot to get me out of there!!! I REFUSE to quit but I'm putting dents in my equipment with my forehead. I need to do a data drop and repair. If I keep head butting my poor console, afmu is gunna gimme the finger and refuse to help. Aaaaaaaarrrrgh... i need coffee, should brought the Krait with me so I'd have chocolate chip cookies.

Why wonder - why not just look it up? https://www.edsm.net/en/expeditions/summary/id/58/name/Distant+Worlds+2+-+A+Voyage+of+DiscoveryLooks like around 30% made it to the last waypoint (not much point looking at this week yet as many will be taking the info about being closest to Colonia and heading there first, I know that's where I am). ofc it seems only about 50% bother to upload their tracks, but they are probably the more dedicated / organised explorers, so it's likely less than 30% of the total.(And that drop-off seems typical for exploration trips, other expeditions see the same pattern)
Everyone on console doesn't have the ability to upload their logs. We can link our accounts, but it's not a constantly updating thing. I am at Gandharvi now and it still shows me at 3% progress, if that. EDSM is not an accurate accounting of total expedition strength.

I am stuck in Clooku and cannot seem to find a plot to get to waypoint 5? 4?

I remember after plotting a course up to IC 4634, I was unable to plot a course back down to any nearby POI, having had to plot a course vertically up from beneath it, and ended up just plotting one all the way to Skaude instead, over the course of which the system was able to find a steady, sometimes spiralling, route down from my elevated position relative to the galactic plane. Ironically, sometimes plotting a longer route will succeed where attempts at plotting a shorter one fail. Simply because you end up going over or under certain obstructions.

Everyone on console doesn't have the ability to upload their logs. We can link our accounts, but it's not a constantly updating thing. I am at Gandharvi now and it still shows me at 3% progress, if that. EDSM is not an accurate accounting of total expedition strength.

Not to mention many of us don't have our accounts linked to EDSM anyway...

The REALLY annoying thing on console is how we lost squadron chat on XBox with the last patch and so have spent all our time since then having to make do with no means of large-scale ingame communication.
It feels a lot emptier when suddenly the dozens of fellow commanders all chatting away at all hours have disappeared, and it's only you and your friends.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom