[DW2] How many have dropped off?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm about another 150 jumps out from the current destination. I'm aiming for 75 jumps a day, which gives me time to take out for my dad's wedding this friday, where I'm on bridesmaid duty.

I'm not too fussed about actually trying to catch up. I went into this assuming I'd be one of the stragglers. I am, however, using neutron stars.
Ah, righto. I guess I underestimated how far behind you might be and/or overestimated your jump range. Well, I did assume that you aren't using neutron stars.

The main cause of me not being able to keep up is that I keep stopping to explore systems. What a world, huh? :D
Do you mean that the others aren't... true explorers? :D (time to ready a drink, just in case)

Ah, righto. I guess I underestimated how far behind you might be and/or overestimated your jump range. Well, I did assume that you aren't using neutron stars.

I have a Krait phantom with a 45 ly jump range. If it had been kitted purely for jump range, it could be managing about 55 ly, but I use some home-brewed survival rules since Elite lacks them, and that includes installing proper crew cabins and other amenities that can support myself and my crew for up to two years. Plus I insist on landing on (or failing that, parking near) a world with decent gravity to spend the night on at the end of a session. I'd like to return to my Estate on Emerald once this is over. ;)

Do you mean that the others aren't... true explorers? :D (time to ready a drink, just in case)

Nope. I just realize that some people have more leisure time than I do (or at least they spend more time at home on their computers than I do) so they don't have choose between exploring every system they come across and keeping up with the expedition. Heck, quite a few people are apparently making side trips as well.

I have a Krait phantom with a 45 ly jump range. If it had been kitted purely for jump range, it could be managing about 55 ly, but I use some home-brewed survival rules since Elite lacks them, and that includes installing proper crew cabins and other amenities that can support myself and my crew for up to two years. Plus I insist on landing on (or failing that, parking near) a world with decent gravity to spend the night on at the end of a session. I'd like to return to my Estate on Emerald once this is over. ;)

I've got decent amenities as I'm in my cutter with 37 ly jumprange, along with the fighter bay. It's been nice "basking" in it out there, but the paint is wearing and I seem to have forgotten the SRV from leaving SagA, oops. So I could be cutting it close with my vanadium store low on the way back where we're supposedly going on the "ST:Voyager route" on the return trip. I hear you about spending the night on a quiet world with a comfortable g. Nice to hear about your Emerald estate after the trip. I hadn't really found a regular home yet.

I'm currently skipping the annoying permit locked sectors around the previous WP, and flying direct from the Eos nebula to Poseidon's Fury, so I'd say I've effectively caught up at this point.

The hard part is convincing my friend who ended up falling behind and hasn't quite made it to the anchorage yet, that she can easily make up the gap in the coming 2 weeks.

As we ponder the dropout rate the further we get from civilization, and that "number of jumps to get back home" gets bigger and bigger, I can't help but think of a follow on expedition that could start a week after this is over. WP1 would be BP, and WP2 Pallaeni. No other stops. No POIs. No minor routes. No gatherings. And we'd call it... "Race ya home!"

As we ponder the dropout rate the further we get from civilization, and that "number of jumps to get back home" gets bigger and bigger, I can't help but think of a follow on expedition that could start a week after this is over. WP1 would be BP, and WP2 Pallaeni. No other stops. No POIs. No minor routes. No gatherings. And we'd call it... "Race ya home!"

Well, if you were really masochistic that could all be done in a little over 6.5h. XD

Not dropping off per say, but i am suffering from major Elite burnout at the moment. I had these feelings even before DW2 started and its getting worse all the time.
Atm i cant even start the game as i just dont have any motivation for it.. I will continue towards BP but dont know when.

Not dropping off per say, but i am suffering from major Elite burnout at the moment. I had these feelings even before DW2 started and its getting worse all the time.
Atm i cant even start the game as i just dont have any motivation for it.. I will continue towards BP but dont know when.
Then maybe you should take a break from the game, buddy.
You'll come back eventually when you had your rest, I'm confident :)

Mate, for the last few WP's i got the the meetup a few days early deliberately so i could log off there and take a few days off doing other things like play other games (Call of the Wild mainly) or watch films etc. so i dont get burn out. I love this game and dont want to give it up because of over playing. I will be doing the same at WP11. I will get there a few days early and take a break before the last push.

I'm still chugging along. Running about a week behind though. Ben sidetracked by the HR remaster of Borderlands.

Just left waypoint 9 last night and am around 30 jumps from waypoint 10.

I estimate that I’m now about eighty jumps from Sagittarius A*. I’m being more choosy about what systems I stop to explore, so I’m averaging about twenty jumps an hour now. Unfortunately, my highly anticipated afternoon session has turned into two hours of waiting for the Power company to restore Power. :(

To add insult to injury, I don’t have much power left in my iPad, so...

Power’s back! Still need to leave in half an hour, and I want to give my UPS a chance to recharge so... maybe after supper I can get close the gap a little more.

I'm still plodding along, but the pace doesn't really fit for me with the new exploration mechanics. I NEED to scan everything now, so have fallen a bit behind :)

That, and the new difficulty settings for State of Decay 2. Gotta get me some good zombie apocalypse.

I was a little bit behind at WP9 - just a little - stopped at the meeting point on the Monday morning after everyone else had mass-jumped.
After that, I've fallen a lot farther behind and only just reached WP10 this morning... mainly because I spent the vast majority of my relatively-limited hours of game-time in a single system mapping around 50 land-able planets and landing at many of the multiple Iron Magma / Silicate Vapour / Carbon di-Oxide geo-locations dotted around the system of 91 objects.

An Explorer gotta explore after all...

I shall set sail for WP11 later today, using the same travel methods I've been using since the start of the Exped. I always cast-off from the WP in a random direction that isn't aligned with any of the sightseeing venues, and always arrive at each waypoint from a random vector that didn't originate at any of the sightseeing venues. Usually, that means climbing out or submerging below the WP, slightly canted around 70 to 80 degrees towards the z-axis, and travel an initial leg of around 1,000 Ly. This gets away from the well travelled path. I then normally keep the 1,000 Ly above/below spacing all the way to the vicinity of either a sightseeing venue I'll visit or the eventual end waypoint, before descending down or climbing up to it, again, from an oblique angle. That gives me the impression of definitely blazing a unique path across the galaxy, when any discoveries will be (pretty much) guaranteed to be all mine and never before seen by human eyes...

However, this week, being a spankingly long way, I'm using an intermediate via-point around 1,200Ly spaced from the midpoint of the WP10-sighsee1 leg. That's a lot shallower angle than normal, but should be good enough to retain the feeling of uniqueness.

Just need a few more hours to catch up while also attempting to resist the urge to go mapping, landing and SRV exploring....

Yours Aye

Mark H

I'm still plodding along, but the pace doesn't really fit for me with the new exploration mechanics.

I am definitely feeling that. The additional time it takes with the new mechanics to determine if there's something I'm interested in looking at in detail in a system means that even just limiting myself to FSSing for gas giants and working down from there if a planetary system looks potentially interesting, I still fall a bit behind unless I devote a bunch of time each session to straight jumping for 50 jumps at a time without stopping to scan anything.

I'm just about keeping up in my T9. This current leg looks like it will be over 500 jumps for me. Which is a wee bit daunting but I've managed to get this far so I'm determined not to give up. I'm still doing a complete FSS scan in each system I visit and I break things up a bit by surface prospecting for jumponium ingredients (for the return journey). I'm also staving off the space madness with occasional interludes of TW Warhammer II.

I was a little bit behind at WP9 - just a little - stopped at the meeting point on the Monday morning after everyone else had mass-jumped.
After that, I've fallen a lot farther behind and only just reached WP10 this morning... mainly because I spent the vast majority of my relatively-limited hours of game-time in a single system mapping around 50 land-able planets and landing at many of the multiple Iron Magma / Silicate Vapour / Carbon di-Oxide geo-locations dotted around the system of 91 objects.

An Explorer gotta explore after all...

I shall set sail for WP11 later today, using the same travel methods I've been using since the start of the Exped. I always cast-off from the WP in a random direction that isn't aligned with any of the sightseeing venues, and always arrive at each waypoint from a random vector that didn't originate at any of the sightseeing venues. Usually, that means climbing out or submerging below the WP, slightly canted around 70 to 80 degrees towards the z-axis, and travel an initial leg of around 1,000 Ly. This gets away from the well travelled path. I then normally keep the 1,000 Ly above/below spacing all the way to the vicinity of either a sightseeing venue I'll visit or the eventual end waypoint, before descending down or climbing up to it, again, from an oblique angle. That gives me the impression of definitely blazing a unique path across the galaxy, when any discoveries will be (pretty much) guaranteed to be all mine and never before seen by human eyes...

However, this week, being a spankingly long way, I'm using an intermediate via-point around 1,200Ly spaced from the midpoint of the WP10-sighsee1 leg. That's a lot shallower angle than normal, but should be good enough to retain the feeling of uniqueness.

Just need a few more hours to catch up while also attempting to resist the urge to go mapping, landing and SRV exploring....

Yours Aye

Mark H

When you're traveling from WP10 to 11, make sure you shift your track a bit to the right of the main route (1600 LY seems to be enough). The direct track from 10 to 11 seems to be straight in the middle of the supression zone where neutron stars didn't get generated by the stellar forge.

I'm just about keeping up in my T9. This current leg looks like it will be over 500 jumps for me. Which is a wee bit daunting but I've managed to get this far so I'm determined not to give up.
Fistbump
T9 solidarity.

Out of interest, what sort of range can your ship manage? The Bridge can pull off 46 and a half, but most jumps will be a bit under that.
I expect there are going to be bits where I would have preferred a Jumpaconda, but I should have enough Jumponium for the last stretch of the journey and making it back.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom