How many people are still around from the very beginning?

It's hard to believe how this game came out almost 3 years ago. Just wondering how many have stuck around from then. I remember the game being very different back then. I bought the game a few days after the actual release, didn't play the beta. This game has changed quite a bit since then, it felt like way back when the game wasn't really a finished product.

But through all the complaints we got a solid space game. I remember people comparing it to Star Citizen and saying it was going to suck compared to Star Citizen. Star Citizen still hasn't launched. And this game now feels good, while not perfect it is cool how there are mysteries like the Formidine Rift that hundreds of people work together to solve, and it seems like on occasion the developers do listen to us. The Thargoids and the mysteries surrounding them are cool too.

It's weird talking to people who just joined and they've already got big ships. Way easier to make money now. From Sidewinder to Cobra was like 3-4 months for me I remember, doing smuggling and exploring. Then came the AspX. That's been my ship ever since then.

I've been flying since beta. Little less frequently recently, have got into a couple of other games, but I am back for 2.4.

Still here from beta :) Quite liking the slow paced Thargoids story appearing now in 2.4. However, I am mainly holding out for 3.0 and onwards and the hinted updates to core gameplay features. The much discussed depth™ is sorely needed.

Still though, Elite is by far the best option out there for space games, and the only one where flying your ship is the main point (looking at you No Man's Sky!!!).

Beta commander, here. I don't play nearly as often as I used to, but I'm excited and hopeful to see what FDev does with the game, now that this dreadful season model is over. There's a staggering amount of unrealized potential.

Still here from beta :) Quite liking the slow paced Thargoids story appearing now in 2.4. However, I am mainly holding out for 3.0 and onwards and the hinted updates to core gameplay features. The much discussed depth™ is sorely needed.

Still though, Elite is by far the best option out there for space games, and the only one where flying your ship is the main point (looking at you No Man's Sky!!!).

Depth is good. I'm finding after taking a hiatus that there is way more depth than there was way back when - I remember when there were next to no comms in the game for instance. I like the trajectory of where it's all going. Being able to land on planets is neat even if they're all rocks at the moment. The lore and story part of this game and players driving the story in certain ways is pretty neat. I think they introduced Thargoids how they needed to.

Still here. Got the game in Beta actually, still playing, still loving it, still really looking forward to whatever might come next.

Premium Beta was my entry point. Amazing how the game has developed.

I do tend to play infrequently in summer, but more often in winter. And of course, on updates too.

Things that were a thing back then: Fuel and repair costs. Ouch! No route plotting. No get rich quick shortcuts. Oh except "Seeking Luxuries" :D

o7

In the beginning there was the BBC Micro and then came the Sinclair Spectrum. Then the silicon gods stood back and looked at their work and marvelled at the wonder and beauty of it all. Then came our lord Braben came and he squeezed the 8 galaxies into them; but he wanted more space and so the silicon gods, did return to their drawing boards and have found themselves, tied to this task ever since. In the never ending quest, to provide, more and more; space.

Yeah; I was there at the beginning; those forgotten, unspoken days of Cassette recorders and of Radio, when buffing was only done by French Polishers.

Been here since the 2nd day of the Kickstarter... played Alpha, Beta, Gamma and clocked over 1000 hours on Live.

I've been taking a break from the game for the past couple of months, but I imagine I'll get back in the pilot's seat sooner or later. 2.4 has yet to grab my interest, sadly. Waiting for 3.0 really.

You mean from before official go live?

Yarp, from Beta.

-----

Edit - Oh you mean from the original original. Yes I am that old.

Played in on various platforms - BBC, Electron, Spectrum, CPC464 (Tape and Disk version), PC, Amiga

Last edited:
Depth is good. I'm finding after taking a hiatus that there is way more depth than there was way back when - I remember when there were next to no comms in the game for instance. I like the trajectory of where it's all going. Being able to land on planets is neat even if they're all rocks at the moment. The lore and story part of this game and players driving the story in certain ways is pretty neat. I think they introduced Thargoids how they needed to.

Not to start a huge depth™ discussion here, but stuff I find that is missing that would provide actual gameplay depth:

1. Gearing the game towards skill rather than time investment for rewards. Ensure that this does not only refer to combat! This could be done with missions requiring stealth, or good flight skills on planets, or uniquely tuned ships to solve a particular challenge. You could even involve the Engineers in this, assuming they sort out the time-sink / grindy nature of it.
2. Make the different parts of the inhabited bubble actually feel different, and ensure there are gameplay mechanics to support this. Some areas need to be properly dangerous to enter. You should be shot on sight if you haven't earned the locals trust. The reward would be higher paying missions, or as credits have lost their value, better material drops. What I'm saying here is that someone who has just started playing, flying a sidewinder, should not expect to be able to fly wherever he wants. However he should be able to make intelligent choices regarding his own level of risk, via in-game information.

I could go on but you get the idea... we need more choice, more responsibility, and deeper, more complicated gameplay mechanics that reward skill rather than repeated grinding. That goes for all the basic professions: trade, exploration, bounty hunting, and even piracy.

Top Bottom