Horizons How many people have bothered to fit ship launched fighters?

How many people have installed ship launched fighters in 1 or more of their ships

• Total voters
Defeated a Deadly FDL with my lowly fighter yesterday. I love these things. Finally speed in ED. Nice! Please close this thread b4 FD nerfs the SLDs. Thank you.

I have SLF in my Anaconda. The fighter I use have 2 fixed beam lasers which deals tremendous amount of damage. My expert crew girl can solo anacondas!

KIDDING!! hahaa, they are perfectly worthless... ... yeah... im gonna go and stand in that corner now....

No I am not kidding.. my girl really know how to solo a dude with an Anaconda! mmm mmm mmmmmmm

Last edited:
I have SLF in my Anaconda. The fighter I use have 2 fixed beam lasers which deals tremendous amount of damage. My expert crew girl can solo anacondas!

Please don't say that. *points to the nerf hammer* Fixed beams on a SLF are so terrible. Worthless even. (shhhhh)

I use Condors with the multicannon loadout, good damage (especially against hulls) and isn't too bad on the capacitor, so I can often put 3 or 4 pips to engines. Not to mention the AI makes extremely short work of any small ships I point it at, allowing me to focus on larger wingmates

Simple enough question!

How many people have SLFs on one of their ships?

I've not installed any or crew. Waste of a slot and income imo.
Until you have tried them you are ill-advised to judge them.

IME (and IMO) they are far from a waste of time, the crew wages may sting a little but it is worth having at least 2 crew trained up from Harmless. They are not exactly a game changer per se but they can fair at least as well as if not better than a sidewinder wingman.

In addition, the fighters themselves can be fun to fly for a bit.

FTR I use 1 bay with Condors and one bay with Taipans.

Last edited:
I bought a keelback and threw one in, but apart from the novely, it wears off fast. I think it would be more fun and useful with multicrew.

I bought a keelback and threw one in, but apart from the novely, it wears off fast. I think it would be more fun and useful with multicrew.
While a keelback can use SLFs it is far from the most suitable platform for them IMO. SLFs are of most utility in the larger vessels... Certain SLFs can fly faster than any jump capable fighter and can be good at beating off or distracting the smaller targets while you concentrate on the bigger ones.

Lovin it so far. Got one on my 'conda and watch my pilot noticeably improve as she levels up. I'll even let her fly the big ship in a RES occasionally while I zip around and take screenshots.

SLF is one of the best things to happen in this game.

My cutter has an imperial fighter with plasma repeater and chaff and they are so handy as a distraction or backup.

Admittedly I hired a harmless pilot and am currently leveling her up (the only thing she's a threat to at the moment is my fighter budget) but I think getting a pilot from the beginning and seeing them evolve is a great part of the game too.

Plus I was interdicted by an elite FDL yesterday (they wanted my modular terminals I was getting for Marco Qwent) and my fighter did a brilliant job of keeping the FDL busy while I dragged (and I mean DRAGGED) the nose of the cutter around to get my 2xlarge and 1xhuge multicannon on the job.

I find they're meh. Brought 2 out exploring with me in my Conda. Can't launch more than 1. Worried there won't ever be landing gear for when we have legs (worried we may not have legs either). Biggest killer for me is telepresence though. I do my best to pretend but it sucks.

I like the Taipan. Condor's maneuvering thrusters are useless. Haven't flown the imperial fighter much.

Last edited:
@those ing about the "loss of profit". HTFU, there "cut" is marginal, you will never notice it in the grand scheme of things, especially when you are making millions on a mission. Like your going to miss that 10k cr that your pilot takes.

I love it, and the bigger bays are nice for when one fighters dies, you just tell your pilot to launch the other while a new one is being built. Still not entirely happy about them pre nerfing these things from the start, I mean, hell if I have 2 fighters I can launch, then let me launch 2 damn fighters!!! I want to have a drone swarm, or at least a small group! It does seem that the fighter really doesn't do THAT much damage, even the plasma tipan doesn't seem to deal that much. But hay, they help distract your target at best from aiming at you.

"cut is marginal... will never notice..."
16%+ each.
a dictionary might do you well.

I'm in a Keelback. My lumpy old bucket of space junk has swooped in with an NPC at the helm and saved my butt more than a few times. I fly the fighter though. Well worth the meager % they get IMO. But, I'm in it for the high speed,maneuverability and fun factor more than credits.

Wooping up on Annies.FDLs,etc. is tons of fun.

Last edited:
The SLF pilots are massively over-paid considering their abilities.

Also, Fdev need to make a one button launch procedure. Its an absolute farce trying to launch them/order them during combat.

Last edited:
I fit one on my Keelback. I do combat freight and passengers so I don't need a whole lot of space. That Keelback is a slug, but the Condor in the hands of an Expert makes up for it. I even jump in it myself every once in a while to break the monotony but usually let my crew do it. She can usually take these idiots by herself.

"cut is marginal... will never notice..."
16%+ each.
a dictionary might do you well.
They are right about the Harmless level crew (1% each - when trained up I think it increases by only 1% per level after Harmless, I will have to check the progression based on my Expert and Novice trained SLF pilots)

I got a Keelback with one Imperial Fighter and NO NPCs for one reason:

1) Have the Keelback Hold Position just off the Scientific Station at San Tu.

2) Launch in SLF and go blasting through the huge CQC station, fighting the Wanted NPCs that show up, or playing Tag with another Player.

That's about it. I've left the Keelback parked at San Tu for whenever i want to go Trick Flying, and boy is it fun!

Here is a YT clip. The second half is flying a fighter at the San Tu station.

Last edited:
I dabbled with them in the beta and enjoyed them but not using them at the moment. Neither of my characters currently owns any SLF capable ship. My original character is stuck in a lightly engineered Python with a near full load somewhere slightly more than halfway to Jaques. My other account is relatively new with no faction ranks and a limited budget. The only viable option would be a Keelback but I'm not that keen on them.

Top Bottom