How much did they all cost?

Reading all these threads on FC's, I get the feeling I'm the only one using it as FDev originally intended, as a squadron support vessel.
Mine is currently parked next to several CZ's in our latest expansion system, with all the services required to support battle Corvettes, repair, re-arm, re-fuel, redemption; in a system with no large pads.

I saved up the money to (barely) get one... I could have kept on mining to do the upkeep...
I watched the beta play out.
Since they launched, I have not logged back in. I didn't buy in the end.
It's likely I won't now, at least for the foreseeable. The Elite narrative of a sole trader trying to make your way in a big galaxy is no more. This is a game of corporate tycoons now, and not what I signed up for.
Too late now, I suppose.
Now I went opposite.

I played the Beta's for less than a day, decided Carrier's weren't for me & was set for playing something else until New Era dropped.
On Carrier lauchday I updated the files then decided (with 18bil) 'what the eck!', give it a go, if it's still crap then I'll decommission & get most if not all my credits back.....

....since then I'v been playing daily for hours again - something I'v not done in a VERY LONG TIME!!

No, I'm not doing any Tritrium trading or LTD mining, I'm just loading up the Carrier myself with cheapest Tritrium I can buy, then jumping out into the black & doing some detailed Exploration around each Carrier jump. Trying to see if there's any decent double hotspots (Tritrium) out there.
Upkeep is of no concern as having a UC on board, I easily make the maintainence costs & more from selling data to 'myself'. Should keep me going until the content returns;)

At the moment, many Carrier owners seem to be trying to make more money. Presumably most will eventually decide that they have enough.
Ah, they are just canny.

How many credits will those "boots of speed" for odessy cost... 10 billion?

And that jet pack... Thats not free you know. 200 billion at least... without the fuel.

I once had the crazy thought that the upcoming FCs might be a ploy for draining much of the surplus wealth from the ultra rich commanders, with a serious income re-balancing happening on launch day.

Boy, was I wrong :ROFLMAO:

not really - refueling an FC in the black is a real deal breaker! Many MANY hours of mining Trit!

And this is a key thing. I know when they were released they were supposed to be for everyone including explorers but if one of the mechanics to it means mining for hours, then that is not going to appeal to a semi-explorer like me or deep space exporer. If I wanted to mine for hours, I would do so from the comfort of a station base and save on a 5bn Cr price tag. It feels as though it could be a tedious weight to carry around the universe. I've read other accounts where people are able to explore from a carrier but there does seem to be an extra level of work involved, all around fuel.

People appear to take off into the black, do their thing, then come back to a system, there, they have various methods to get fuel for the FC. It seems that inevitably, you are tied to returning to a populated system. I already do this in a Dolphin, no massive tanks of fuel to worry about no 5bn initial cost.

FC's seem great for solo CMDRS who want to travel from the Bubble to Colonia (for example) or take a couple of days or week out in some far flung place with a bit of a safety net and other ships. But a solo CMDR aimlessly wondering around the universe, I don't think they work for. I'm sure someone will say they are making it work but they have an added layer of work I currently do not in my Dolphin.

This is a long winded answer to say, it is no surprise to me that populated systems are chock full of these things, they depend on being in one for an amount of time. I don't really want those ties.

With the apparently limitless supply of money that the bubble has to pay for all these LTDs, and the amount splurged in a few weeks on all these apparently instantly constructable mega-assets, it’s amazing we aren’t playing “Elite: Weimar Republic” ;)

I‘m awaiting the first mission to “Donate 10 million credits so we can use them to light the fire with” :)

Unlike the Weimar Republic or Venuzuela or Zimbabwe, prices in the Elite setting seem to be largely fixed and supply of most goods is effectively infinite, so you'll never see meaningful price inflation.

It's a post scarcity system that still issues currency to keep it's population distracted.

And this is a key thing. I know when they were released they were supposed to be for everyone including explorers but if one of the mechanics to it means mining for hours, then that is not going to appeal to a semi-explorer like me or deep space exporer. If I wanted to mine for hours, I would do so from the comfort of a station base and save on a 5bn Cr price tag. It feels as though it could be a tedious weight to carry around the universe. I've read other accounts where people are able to explore from a carrier but there does seem to be an extra level of work involved, all around fuel.

I think a carrier can do something like 60,000 LY on a full load of Tritium, including the cargo storage space. You can just buy that from a station selling cheaply at 4-5K/ton for 125 million or so... OK, so if you were planning a massively long trip, you might need to mine, but id assume 60K LY is fine for 99% of explorers..

I think a carrier can do something like 60,000 LY on a full load of Tritium, including the cargo storage space. You can just buy that from a station selling cheaply at 4-5K/ton for 125 million or so... OK, so if you were planning a massively long trip, you might need to mine, but id assume 60K LY is fine for 99% of explorers..
This is news to me. Thank you.

Deleted member 182079

D
That's what I'm thinking - I suppose it boils down to a) what do you consider "exploration", i.e. technically you can explore away in clusters 2k LYs from the bubble and b) how many players would really travel beyond those 60k LYs. I would hazard a guess and say it's a rather small minority, and those who'd be crazy enough to do it in a FC is a smaller subsection of that.

I'll take my FC on an exploration trip at some point, it'll be a few thousand LYs away from the bubble at best - since I don't believe FDev have hard coded unique locations into areas of the galaxy that require a 70-100k LY roundtrip, I don't see the point in doing so - and even if I did, I wouldn't want to bring unnecessary baggage in the form of a FC, especially if you don't like mining - and if you do, what's the problem again? Mining, ground prospecting and canyon racing is all you can do in the deep black unless I'm missing something.

That's what I'm thinking - I suppose it boils down to a) what do you consider "exploration", i.e. technically you can explore away in clusters 2k LYs from the bubble and b) how many players would really travel beyond those 60k LYs. I would hazard a guess and say it's a rather small minority, and those who'd be crazy enough to do it in a FC is a smaller subsection of that.

I'll take my FC on an exploration trip at some point, it'll be a few thousand LYs away from the bubble at best - since I don't believe FDev have hard coded unique locations into areas of the galaxy that require a 70-100k LY roundtrip, I don't see the point in doing so - and even if I did, I wouldn't want to bring unnecessary baggage in the form of a FC, especially if you don't like mining - and if you do, what's the problem again? Mining, ground prospecting and canyon racing is all you can do in the deep black unless I'm missing something.

One of the attractions to me is selling the UC data straight away, I fret like no ones business that I might crash and lose the lot. I really like the idea of just being Ly's from anyone but having all my stuff with me, like living off grid. Also, the idea that my FC, parked miles from population might be a happy place for an explorer to find who may need a repair or two that they're not quipped to deal with. I have around 1.5bn to save to be able to afford the accrued, I'll want a buffer amount after that I guess, so I have a fair amount of time to consider.

Ah, they are just canny.

How many credits will those "boots of speed" for odessy cost... 10 billion?

And that jet pack... Thats not free you know. 200 billion at least... without the fuel.

There will be a serious irony if anything in Oddyssey costs more than a Sidewinder.
A FTL capable starship.

Watch them put in a different currency or gasp rely on engineering for ground equipment.

But, hey, when has economy ever been considered in this game?

Top Bottom