How on earth did a debuff like corrosion even get ok'd?

I've had good results with autoloader. So long as you don't use rapid fire, you'll never have to worry about reloading. Incendiary has it's uses if you're running a full multicannon build and you need better shield stripping. The rest will either only see a use in PvP, or aren't worth it.

Most of my early builds were efficient beams, overcharged multis with one corrosive and any others autoloader. If I'm guessing correctly and you're using a huge and two large multicannons, put the corrosive effect on one of the large ones so autoloader can go on the huge and the other large. You'd want to keep that big one firing.
Always put the corrosive on the huge if you have one. This way you completely negate its only downside, the lack of ammo. By the time all your other multicannons are empty, the huge will still be firing, applying that corrosive and doing good damage. Additionally the low fire rate means that down time for reloads is also less (relatively) compared to other sizes, making autoloader less effective. If you put corrosive on a smaller hardpoint, it will run out before the huge, and the huge will not get the 25% benefit for some of the fight.

Always put the corrosive on the huge if you have one. This way you completely negate its only downside, the lack of ammo. By the time all your other multicannons are empty, the huge will still be firing, applying that corrosive and doing good damage. Additionally the low fire rate means that down time for reloads is also less (relatively) compared to other sizes, making autoloader less effective. If you put corrosive on a smaller hardpoint, it will run out before the huge, and the huge will not get the 25% benefit for some of the fight.
Makes sense. Thanks for the correction.

I was flying my Gunship so I have good hull, usually don't bat an eye when my shields go down yet when that corrosion came up and my shields dropped my jaw dropped with it at how idiotically fast I nearly insta-died. I mean, if there were things we could do to mitigate that crap than sure but it's a near death sentence if you get that crap on you.

If you put corrosive on a smaller hardpoint, it will run out before the huge, and the huge will not get the 25% benefit for some of the fight.

Unless you modify the small MC to be corrosive and high capacity, while the rest is overcharged with auto-loader. It almost evens out. On some of my ships (no huge hardpoint available) I have this. They never run dry at the exactly same time, but it often is quite close. It depends on how the fights go, if the autoloaders can do their job or not, etc.

In terms of pure firepower while all weapons have ammo, the C4 MC with corrosive of course is the better choice, but not all ships support this configuration, after all.

Unless you modify the small MC to be corrosive and high capacity, while the rest is overcharged with auto-loader. It almost evens out. On some of my ships (no huge hardpoint available) I have this. They never run dry at the exactly same time, but it often is quite close. It depends on how the fights go, if the autoloaders can do their job or not, etc.

In terms of pure firepower while all weapons have ammo, the C4 MC with corrosive of course is the better choice, but not all ships support this configuration, after all.
Yep, if you have plenty of dps this is also a viable option! Well pointed out. Personally, I use the small hardpoints for weapons that punch above their weight, like frags or railguns, but if you've got a small slot spare and you don't like rails, definitely a viable strat. (y)

Yep, if you have plenty of dps this is also a viable option! Well pointed out. Personally, I use the small hardpoints for weapons that punch above their weight, like frags or railguns, but if you've got a small slot spare and you don't like rails, definitely a viable strat. (y)

My rails are usually a pair of imperial hammers with feedback cascade. Regular rails (C1 or C2) might theoretically be the better choice, but I just enjoy the hammers burst too much. :D

Hmmm, so I'm thinking the c4 mc with corrosive, 2 c3 mc's with autoloader, then the remaining c3, 2 c2's and 2 c1's with efficient beams. Should do a small amount of dps.....!

Hmmm, so I'm thinking the c4 mc with corrosive, 2 c3 mc's with autoloader, then the remaining c3, 2 c2's and 2 c1's with efficient beams. Should do a small amount of dps.....!

This generally should work. Just note that C3 Multi-Cannons have a longer spin-up time than all the other multicannons. While the C4 fires right away, without any spin-up time. If you can keep your nose on the target for longer periods this matters little, but in a tight turning fight the C3 Multicannon can feel quite annoying.

So it really depends on how you fly, some people don't mind the longer spin-up at all, while others are driven crazy by it.

This generally should work. Just note that C3 Multi-Cannons have a longer spin-up time than all the other multicannons. While the C4 fires right away, without any spin-up time. If you can keep your nose on the target for longer periods this matters little, but in a tight turning fight the C3 Multicannon can feel quite annoying.

So it really depends on how you fly, some people don't mind the longer spin-up at all, while others are driven crazy by it.
Maybe I might just go with 7 mc's: some autoloaders, some incendiary (to take care of shields), and the big one with corrosion. Now that is a lot of dakka dakka!! 😃

I do think corrosive is significantly overpowered. I can tell because all of my armed ships, except for one, use it and it's always the first priority effect for my MCs.

This is what weapon groups are for.

Personally, I prefer incendiary or autoloader on huge MCs, because those effects can scale with damage, while corrosive can be put on anything. If I've got corrosive on a medium MC, I can refrain from firing it except against hull, unless i really need the extra damage in the moment. If I have a ship with roome for a small MC, I can make that a high-capacity corrosive.

Don't skip the emissive! The emissive will keep ALL your gimballed weapons tracking optimally, it will boost the damage of your entire loadout.
Yeah, should have 1 emissìve as you have kindly suggested. Sorta feeling sorry for those poor npc's, they won't know what hit 'em!

Yeah, should have 1 emissìve as you have kindly suggested. Sorta feeling sorry for those poor npc's, they won't know what hit 'em!

Works on CMDRs too.

Emissive plus a few gimbaled MCs is one of the best defensive options there is. I say defensive because being able to fire at 30 degrees off one facing allows one to be actively evasive while simultaneously delivering damage. Anyone with decent aim in an agile ship can match it's damage output with fixed, but not while avoiding so much damage at the same time. it's one of the reasons gimbals are reviled in some circles.

Top Bottom