Newcomer / Intro How profitable are Passenger missions?

I would consider going a bit further and storing your armour and fitting lightweight, you should be fine if you have backed off far enough from the core explosion and your ship will be a little faster after all you aren't going to fight anything with it.

As previously mentioned, sightseeing runs from Robigo Mines to Sirius Atmospherics (Sothis) in a Python is still a good way to make money. If you don't yet have the budget for a Python, I recently got a couple of new accounts from a few million up to 100m each using T6's.

You cant do core mining in T6 :(
It lacks medium hardpoints for seismic charge launchers. You can only use it for laser mining.

I recommend this cobra build. Fill it with limpets and drop the limpets to make room for cargo
If you fill it with Void Opals - remember you can fill the refinery too. You will have more than enough credits for an 100t deep core Asp X
then the sky is the limit

Edit: only 4d shields, but remember you are not there to fight.
So use the DSS to scan the ice ring of your choice, then drop in a void opal hot spot of your choice, ignore whatever pirate might be there - that is boost 50-100km from your drop point. Fill up, then find a station that is paying 1.6mills per ton of VO and be rich.
Looks like a good build. Question: why the reactive surface composite, is it lighter than lightweight alloys?

You cant do core mining in T6 :(
It lacks medium hardpoints for seismic charge launchers. You can only use it for laser mining.

... and if you do you risk having your brain turn to goo from watching size 1 mining lasers prise fragments off as slowly as a very slow thing.

I recommend this cobra build. Fill it with limpets and drop the limpets to make room for cargo
If you fill it with Void Opals - remember you can fill the refinery too. You will have more than enough credits for an 100t deep core Asp X
then the sky is the limit

Edit: only 4d shields, but remember you are not there to fight.
So use the DSS to scan the ice ring of your choice, then drop in a void opal hot spot of your choice, ignore whatever pirate might be there - that is boost 50-100km from your drop point. Fill up, then find a station that is paying 1.6mills per ton of VO and be rich.
Another thing I noticed: it has 2 collector limpits, but there is very little storage. If you have lots of storage then yes, get at least 2 collector limpits but the cobra has so little storage I would swap one of the collectors for more storage. Or else OP will be leaving behind opals worth 1.5 million per ton! Also maybe swap 4D shields for 2A shields to get even more storage. He could maybe add a shield booster to get more shields - he might need it when some dastardly pirate tries to mug him on the way home!

... and if you do you risk having your brain turn to goo from watching size 1 mining lasers prise fragments off as slowly as a very slow thing.
I actually enjoy using 2 mining lasers to "finish off" an asteroid after I've cracked it and scooped out all the opals! I like the sound the cracking ice makes, and I have about 300 tons of cargo space in my annie so it's sorta nice to fill up before I go home..... 😀

As previously mentioned, sightseeing runs from Robigo Mines to Sirius Atmospherics (Sothis) in a Python is still a good way to make money. If you don't yet have the budget for a Python, I recently got a couple of new accounts from a few million up to 100m each using T6's.
Never done passenger runs, but that does sound very profitable. 👍

I actually enjoy using 2 mining lasers to "finish off" an asteroid after I've cracked it and scooped out all the opals! I like the sound the cracking ice makes, and I have about 300 tons of cargo space in my annie so it's sorta nice to fill up before I go home..... 😀

... surely you use size 2 lasers on the 'conda. My point was that the small mining lasers (all a T6 can mount) are just soooo sloooowww...

... surely you use size 2 lasers on the 'conda. My point was that the small mining lasers (all a T6 can mount) are just soooo sloooowww...
Nah just two size 1's: they chew up the surface very quickly and release all sorts of goodies, which are sorta pocket change when you have a hundred tons of diamonds in cargo, but you can still sell them for a few thousand credits per ton. And you get some engineering materials too, which will come in handy when I finally get round to buying Horizons.....!

Another thing I noticed: it has 2 collector limpits, but there is very little storage. If you have lots of storage then yes, get at least 2 collector limpits but the cobra has so little storage I would swap one of the collectors for more storage. Or else OP will be leaving behind opals worth 1.5 million per ton! Also maybe swap 4D shields for 2A shields to get even more storage. He could maybe add a shield booster to get more shields - he might need it when some dastardly pirate tries to mug him on the way home!
Talking if which, don't log off in the middle of doing your mining, or else when you log on again you will have a pirate (and sometimes he brings his friends too) asking for some goodies from your hold. Then you have to RUN! 😓

Thanks for all the help guys.

Are there any videos you guys would recommend?
I was trying to find a really awesome video for you in my YouTube history, but I could not find it (too much in history!), but any video from Down To Earth Astronomy is really useful, and he's done several on mining.

But it costs 6.6 million credits! Once you've bought all your mining stuff, the surface scanner, cargo racks, improved the modules that need improving etc etc, is there gonna be enough for a rebuy?

If you buy everything in Li Ron Yui controlled space you get a 15% discount, that plus going with D rated modules to cut costs can get an Asp X that can core mine for 7 million, the most expensive module would be a size 6 cargo rack. Of course it isn’t a very good Asp X but a few opals would make that fixable. Rebuy would be around 350,000.

What do you guys think of the Keelback for a dedicated Mining ship?

and yes I was looking at an Asp X as well but the Keelback gives me a little more wiggle room as far as spending goes.

If it makes me lots of cash and the mining works out Ill just purchase the Asp X once I have enough to outfit it like I want to.

Top Bottom