Newcomer / Intro How profitable are Passenger missions?

I honestly tried to ignore this but I just couldn't, sorry. This is the newcomer's section and we should avoid misleading information that might confuse the new commander.

Here is a quick video I made to illustrate the difference between the small (class 1) and large (class 2) mining laser. I hope it illustrates how frustrating it can be to do laser mining in craft with only size 1 hardpoints (the video uses a CobraIV).

Personally I go mining in a Python but I understand some people like the AspX, Keelback and the Kraits.
The other thing is using the size 1's forthe mining lasers then frees up the size 2 slots for the abrasion blaster and the seismic charge launcher. Which then frees up the size 3's and the size 4 for some very big guns in case pirates come sniffing round my mining operations. Then I can pop them like a zit! So there is a method to my madness whuch is just not that obvous at first glance. Hope all of the above explains what I do and why I do it.. 😃

The other thing is using the size 1's forthe mining lasers then frees up the size 2 slots for the abrasion blaster and the seismic charge launcher. Which then frees up the size 3's and the size 4 for some very big guns in case pirates come sniffing round my mining operations. Then I can pop them like a zit! So there is a method to my madness whuch is just not that obvous at first glance. Hope all of the above explains what I do and why I do it.. 😃

Unfortunately there are no size 2 Abrasion Blasters.

Okay, with the big guns on board I thought it was safe to log off in the middle of mining a pristine ice ring. Logged back on again this am and sure enough a couple of pirates turn up and start sniffing around, they were both in Vipers. So I ignore their demands, get my weapons ready and into combat mode and damned if they didn't give me a run for my money! My shields were almost gone by the time they gave up and high-waked outta there! Time for some engineering methinks!

Double Painite hotspot is good.
Don't know if this is still a thing.
I have never mined painite before. Currently on the way back from an exploration jaunt and found a nice pristine ice ring so I'm loading up on opals before returning to my home base. But I found a pristine painite spot a few weeks ago that I may revisit. I may even take Para Handy's advice and pack a couple of size 2 lasers to help me carve up the asteroids even faster. Can you core mine painite or is it just on the surface?

Yeah but I gotta put it somewhere, the size 1's are already full....

I hesitate to mention that you could use a size 2 hardpoint for a class 2 laser and fit your A B on a size 1. Never tried a mining tool on a 'conda size 1 slot, maybe too imprecise? However, if OK to use an A B on one then that means that a size 1 slot is freed-up since a size 2 mining laser is much quicker than 2 size 1s.

I hesitate to mention that you could use a size 2 hardpoint for a class 2 laser and fit your A B on a size 1. Never tried a mining tool on a 'conda size 1 slot, maybe too imprecise? However, if OK to use an A B on one then that means that a size 1 slot is freed-up since a size 2 mining laser is much quicker than 2 size 1s.
That makes good sense, I will try that when I go for that painite 😉. I'm thinking of buying a dedicated mining/exploration ship because I keep having to swap modules round when I want to convert Porkchop from a miner/explorer to a heavily armed mission runner/freight carrier. Do you know if there a ship which is a bit smaller than an anaconda but has a similar jump range? Or do you think the anaconda is the best miner/explorer?

That makes good sense, I will try that when I go for that painite 😉. I'm thinking of buying a dedicated mining/exploration ship because I keep having to swap modules round when I want to convert Porkchop from a miner/explorer to a heavily armed mission runner/freight carrier. Do you know if there a ship which is a bit smaller than an anaconda but has a similar jump range? Or do you think the anaconda is the best miner/explorer?

I use a Python for mining - jump range doesn't compare with the 'conda but as long as you are not planning on travelling far to your mining system or immediately making a long trek to get the best price then it is fine. I find that strip-mining in a 'conda or T10 is just too boring because of the time to fill-up - the Python is about the right size for me in that respect.

To illustrate, I have a system with pristine metallic just two Python jumps away. I can fill up with Painite then either just flog it for what's best nearby or I can go to home base and swap to a ship with better jump range to go make big bucks (but remember the cargo capacity). Normally I have a good enough price nearby so don't do that.

I don't do the explode-an-asteroid-mining but something like an AspX or Krait would have the capability plus a decent jump range to milk that opal gold-rush. Certainly they would be more manoeuvrable than a 'conda for that work.

The Diamondback Explorer and the Krait Phantom are the closest in jump range to the Anaconda I think the Krait would be better as a miner than the Diamondback and they will both be way more manoeuvrable than the Anaconda.

The Diamondback Explorer and the Krait Phantom are the closest in jump range to the Anaconda I think the Krait would be better as a miner than the Diamondback and they will both be way more manoeuvrable than the Anaconda.
I will check the shipyards I visit and see if I can find a Krait. The Diamondback is just too small for an explorer/miner. Thanks for the sound advice commanders 👍

AspX can also be a nice miner too...
I'm in a shipyard right now, browsing. The AspX has an awesome jump range, lots of hard points, but not much cargo capacity or optional internal slots tho... think I'll go to that fitout website (Coriolis??) and see if it can be outfitted to be a top notch miner/explorer.

This AspX has 96t cargo plus 6t in refinery. That's 102t of opals which can return 10x the value of ship in one go :)
If you want more jump range, use this build
More shileds? This one

You can even put weapons on it, but tbh your main concern would be to deliver those opals to the trader

Last edited:
This AspX has 96t cargo plus 6t in refinery. That's 102t of opals which can return 10x the value of ship in one go :)
If you want more jump range, use this build
More shileds? This one

You can even put weapons on it, but tbh your main concern would be to deliver those opals to the trader
I wanted to build an explorer/miner. I entered everything in Coriolis and I think I can fit everything in but it's going to be tight with all the mining gear plus the exploration kit. Makes me realise how much room there is on an anaconda, I was really spoiled using Porkchop as my explorer/miner, but I think I need something a bit smaller now. So let's give it a spin and see what happens!

Top Bottom