Senior Community Manager
Given the large number of new releases coming out every year, we are often asked about what sets our game apart. Funnily enough, the element that makes LEMNIS GATE unique is present in every other game, but in this case, it is explored from a vastly different perspective.
For this Dev Blog post, we want to share with you how TIME is the essential component of LEMNIS GATE, how it affects gameplay, and, consequently, how it sets us apart. Let’s begin!
- Bending time: In LEMNIS GATE, battles are fought inside of a repeating 25-second time loop. Given that, past, present, and future actions need to be taken into consideration to win. This is contrary to most games where players only need to deal with current events.
- An ever-changing battlefield: As players add new operatives to the loop, timelines are continuously disrupted. This creates different scenarios every turn! Like in a chess game, a match can be turned around with a single expert move or carefully planned ahead of time.
- Strategy VS Skill: As some studies suggest, players start experiencing poorer reaction times upon reaching the age of 24. The time loop mechanic adds strategy layers to the mix, so quick reflexes are not the ultimate key to success. It creates a whole new dynamic to gameplay and builds an environment where smart moves can outplay pure skill. This way, everyone can have a good time even if their aim is not out of this world!
- The importance of information: One of the most critical aspects of LEMNIS GATE is the power of information. For this reason, we created the Spectator Mode. In-between turns, players can fly a drone around the map to track every action taken inside the loop and plan a solid strategy for their next move.
- Time as the meta: Although the time mechanic could be considered meta on its own, it gets even more profound when considering the diverse deep space operatives’ roster available in the game. Combining abilities and weapons, team composition, and temporal manipulation leads to an immense amount of expert strategies that can be created and enforced in battle.
- Ghost Mode/Potential Actions: When dealing with time-traveling, you need to consider actions that could, but maybe will not happen. In LEMNIS GATE, if an operative is defeated in combat during their turn, they enter what we call “Ghost Mode.” If eliminated, they still play the entirety of the 25-second round but cannot interact with other characters or objectives. If that operative is saved in a future turn, all of his actions in Ghost Mode will become a reality! We wrote a whole article about this mechanic. You can read it here!
From the very beginning, we envisioned LEMNIS GATE to be a unique game, all the while keeping it accessible to all players. Strategy gamers and FPS fans alike will have something exciting to try out very soon! But remember: time can be your best ally or worst enemy on the battlefield!
Want to stay up to date with everything LEMNIS GATE? Follow the official Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube channels to be the first to know about the latest news and announcements! If you feel like socializing, join our Discord to be a part of our awesome community!