Newcomer / Intro How to approach Starports

I have to say that the video is probably the worst way to approach in supercruise I have seen. Even banging-in directly behind the station would be quicker. I suggest editing the thread title to insert the word "NOT".

Last edited:
Bad idea if you run cargo ship with 100 tons of gold and pirates are hunting you. Every next second longer in supercruise is another risky second. Better is to reach the station as soon as possible, even from the back.

No cargo/missions - it works.
If stacked missions and a long string of deadly anacondas lining up to interdict - well, the loop of skill is much better

Approach from the other side of the planet, gravity brake at the last moment then change direction and drop out when the timer reaches <= 3 seconds...

Planetary braking is too hit or miss for me. Mass of the planet(s) and how close the station is to it varies so much I rarely get it quite right. For that reason, just following @Para Handy's approach is generally faster for me than trying to use gravity-braking. Still fun to keep trying it once in a while though. :)

All sounds awfully complicated.
I head towards it at full speed until the ETA drops to 7 seconds.
Then I hit the button I bound to 75% speed.
Wait until the blue message thingy pops up then drop.
Head towards the station, ignoring the speed warnings.
About 5km out run the macro that asks for docking permission and triggers the autodock.

I call it the 3 button approach.

While I applaud the effort of the OP, the first thing I thought of when watching was, "I hope they aren't carrying a cargo of 'Pirate Attractant' in their hold". While the maneuver and come straight in method is nice, it takes too long and leaves you vulnerable to getting bounced by bad guys (Human or NPC). As stated above, every second you waste is a second that a pirate can pop in and try to interdict you.

If you have a docking computer, once you get to the station, even if you are behind or to the side of the port, once you get clearance and drop speed to engage the docking computer, the ship will take pretty much the quickest, safest way (According to the docking computer anyway) to get you into the station.

Just my opinion...

Take Care and Check Six Commanders! o7

If I am in a ship with a docking computer I just aim to get to drop out distance of the station otherwise I like to be aligned with the slot for a straight in approach, that said my alignment technique is much more like Para Handy's than the OP as I will be using the 75% throttle.

With Coriolis stations I spin about like a mad thing when I arrive in the system to locate the slot at the start of the trip, I find this helps me curve the approach at the end to line up when I drop out.

I have never managed to use gravity braking to reduce the time taken, it usually adds minutes, if I do get interdicted I just throttle back to 50% and usually defeat the interdiction it is then just a matter of finding where the heck the station has run off to.

Wrt the OP, that is definitely not how I do it. I fly directly at the station until safe dropout, regardless of the station 's orientation. Once you know the portal points at the planet, I simply fly in that direction until I can see it.

I'll thn manoeuvre until aligned then request permission.

Using DC or ADC will get you there regardless at 7.5k no matter the alignment.

I have to say that the video is probably the worst way to approach in supercruise I have seen. Even banging-in directly behind the station would be quicker. I suggest editing the thread title to insert the word "NOT".
Video was a bit grainy on my end but it looks like the OP was wanted by the station they were docking at.

Lining up with the slot while still in SC is a good tactic in this case (though it can usually be done a bit quicker), dropping in from the side/back would just increase the chances of a scan, especially if your ship is a bit drifty.

The station hologram used to be static, so I used to use a similar SC approach when smuggling wanted passengers/illicit cargo.

Video/topic could use better context, it’s potentially a good snuggling video but poor docking video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom