How to avoid Gankers.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Most? There are some very loud cries here and there that you describe, but the vast majority of players does play in open and therefore looking for a bit of adrenaline rush.

Well whether it's actually the majority or the minority is hard to tell.. Bad reactions to random PvP encounters are pretty common though.

Back when I was quite new to the game, when I first got killed by a player it dawned on me how badly I was outfitting my ships and how under-prepared for player-attack I was, so I made a conscious effort to learn and get better at ED. Players generally react in two ways to unsolicited PvP:
  • A) They seek advice on tactics and builds, then adapt to hostile player scenarios accordingly, be it fighting back, defensive builds or evasion tactics
  • B) They get upset and attempt to remove the threat from their game without looking at their own mistakes/wrong assumptions/low skill
Now of course you can go down either route, but group A players usually end up far more accomplished at the game than group B, who will usually remain at a pretty noobish level indefinitely.

Last edited:
My advice for dealing with 'gankers' is have a few drinks and lighten up. Oh, and carry weapons.

Honestly, if an experienced commander is intent on offing commander with less experience, there's very little one can do about it.

Maybe hit the onionhead for an infusion of paranoia.
CArry a few weapons vs a custom engineered gank de lance won’t help. That’s the issue. If you hear gankers like Ryan_17 on that video about the new hack, they are not interested in any kind of fair fight when they gank. Self-described griefers enjoy destroying helpless players. That’s the definition of ganking. Now if you can do a community goal in you best pvp ship, great, but if you are in a PVE rig, the OPs advice is excellent. Or play in a private group.

In WoW, PvP servers used to be a thing and they were fun because you could do your questing always equipped for PvP. Just doesn’t work that way in ED.

For WoW there were PVE servers for people who did not want to be banked. There is no official PVE mode in ED, you can try Mobius or other PVE private groups but they may not be as populated and no game rule set prevents ganking in them.

I won’t bother with the blocking, it’s too much trouble, I just haven’t flown in open since engineers were introduced.

But it’s valid advice for people who do want to fly in open and minimize griefing

Last edited:
Well whether it's actually the majority or the minority is hard to tell.. Bad reactions to random PvP encounters are pretty common though.

Back when I was quite new to the game, when I first got killed by a player it dawned on me how badly I was outfitting my ships and how under-prepared for player-attack I was, so I made a conscious effort to learn and get better at ED. Players generally react in two ways to unsolicited PvP:
  • A) They seek advice on tactics and builds, then adapt to hostile player scenarios accordingly, be it fighting back, defensive builds or evasion tactics
  • B) They get upset and attempt to remove the threat from their game without looking at their own mistakes/wrong assumptions/low skill
Now of course you can go down either route, but group A players usually end up far more accomplished at the game than group B, who will usually remain at a pretty noobish level indefinitely.
It's a fact that we're "the majority ... by a significant margin". As 2 game modes exist that enable players to completely avoid any non-consensual PvP (there are PvP private groups that allow consensual PvP), I really can't fathom people that play in open and throw gross insults at PvP players.

I'll (mis)quote one ED book author: "The greatest monsters aren't those that do atrocities, the greatest monsters are those that do nothing about it", although it's really childish to talk about atrocities in normal game play. People that see gankers as evil have some problems in distinguishing game and reality. Following that line of logic, my chess opponent is a [redacted] [redacted] that should be [redacted]. ;)

My mom played chess with since I was 6 and she never let me won. Was she a seal clubber?

CArry a few weapons vs a custom engineered gank de lance won’t help. That’s the issue. If you hear gankers like Ryan_17 on that video about the new hack, they are not interested in any kind of fair fight. Self-described griefers enjoy destroying helpless players. That’s the definition of ganking. Now if you can do a community goal in you best pvp ship, great, but if you are in a PVE rig, the OPs advice is excellent. Or play in a private group.

In WoW, PvP servers used to be a thing and they were fun because you could do your questing always equipped for PvP. Just doesn’t work that way in ED.
Please make a distinction between ganking and cheating, those two have nothing together.

Further, no abilities or weapons could help you if you were low level against 4 max level chars. Been there, done that and no one in WoW whined about ganking. You either grouped up, switched your char or simply logged off if someone was corpse camping.

It seems to me that people who complain about ganking in ED have no experience whatsoever in PvP games.

Situational awareness! Growth mentality! Solo snowflakes! Alpha predators!
overcome.jpg

If you're really that worried about getting ganked then you need to go out and purchase a PS4. You'll be able to fly in open 100% of the time and be guaranteed that you'll only see the odd player here and there.
That's actually true. I am a little bit jealous when I read the stories of the pc players. I was at the guardian side with my fully engineered gunship and only encountered a new player with Asp X which is now on my friend list. Sometimes it's a little boring on ps4 in open... but I will not grind all my stuff again on pc.

That's actually true. I am a little bit jealous when I read the stories of the pc players. I was at the guardian side with my fully engineered gunship and only encountered a new player with Asp X which is now on my friend list. Sometimes it's a little boring on ps4 in open... but I will not grind all my stuff again on pc.
Assuming that most of your assets are in ships and modules, can't you sell them and make an one-time transfer of wealth? Almost everything except your combat rank is easily grinded...

Assuming that most of your assets are in ships and modules, can't you sell them and make an one-time transfer of wealth? Almost everything except your combat rank is easily grinded...
The credits are easy but to recollect all the mats again, unlock engineers and guardian stuff. It would be a nightmare...

The credits are easy but to recollect all the mats again, unlock engineers and guardian stuff. It would be a nightmare...
Well on one hand you have your achievements while on another you have loneliness and boredom. It's up to you to decide what's more important to you. :) Let me ask you one question that might help you decide: what will NOT happen if you DON'T transfer to PC? ;)

I've considered the switch from PS4 purely from the standpoint of having more player interaction. The only thing that's stopping me is space, by space I mean space in my house. I literally have nowhere to put a pc desk and full setup and I'm not particularly taken by the idea of using a laptop. The convenience of a console is a big boon

I've considered the switch from PS4 purely from the standpoint of having more player interaction. The only thing that's stopping me is space, by space I mean space in my house. I literally have nowhere to put a pc desk and full setup and I'm not particularly taken by the idea of using a laptop. The convenience of a console is a big boon

I hear you there. My own PC setup is a bit cramped but not bad enough, thankfully. Consider the laptop option... I know quite a few people that enjoy it very much. Grab some decent headphones, stuff like that. Heck, I still use an XBOX Elite Controller too and it's just dandy.

Deleted member 182079

D
I hear you there. My own PC setup is a bit cramped but not bad enough, thankfully. Consider the laptop option... I know quite a few people that enjoy it very much. Grab some decent headphones, stuff like that. Heck, I still use an XBOX Elite Controller too and it's just dandy.
Yeah that's my setup also (laptop + XBO controller). I like the flexibility as well, as the missus can watch TV, and if the office is used as a guest room, I can just move my laptop to the lounge or wherever instead. If not, I play at my desk with a monitor.

Although bang-per-buck wise it's not that clear cut (gaming laptops are expensive, don't allow for upgrades other than RAM, and still won't run modern games at max settings, let alone at 4k), and I will probably go all in (i.e. desktop) next time it's time for a hardware replacement.

Speaking for myself, i have neither the time nor the inclination to be bothered about dealing with gankers or griefers in game. The game provides various options to deal with them without playing their game.
For me their game is actually more of my problem than the players themselves. Not a fan of the meta. Would prefer to play a sci-fi spaceship game than convoluted, un-immersive rock paper scissors grinding. For me it's not even really a PVP/PVE issue anyway.

My solution for the past few years has generally just been to play in solo, though I used to play in Open exclusively for the first year or so. Blocking people wouldn't fix the game for me.

Last edited:
Last Saturday, late evening I'm came back to Deciat for some FSD engineering in my iCourier. I had bad memories about this place becouse some time ago I was badly ganked two times in a row.
But this time when I jumped into the system I immediately flew up, above the plane of the system. Then I've docked ship at the small outpost. From there I flew to Fasreer Inc but jumped from the orbital flight about 30-40 km from the Farseer base. And then I took an excellent ride, through canyons, very close to the ground, sometimes 50 meter above the ground. With full throttle. And finally I safely docked at Farseer. Two ships were flying high above the base. One guy could be a ganker. His avatar looks like bad guy :D. There were a few other ships docked. One CMDR sent o7 in local comms. I've replied.
After upgrade I've left the base the same way. Very close to the ground, through the canyon.
For me, amazing gameplay. Very nice emotions, some andrenaline. Without this danger I would fly into a Farseer Inc eating a sandwich. Boredom.
After all I wasn't ganked this time. Maybe all gankers are now in those new Community Goal places.

Usual encounters are just...usual. A few O7s, radio silence most of the time. That does not generate contents and thus won't be posted around.

I still remember my first time visiting Farseer. Some ship dancing at my face while I was docking mine. I can't even recall his ship type because I was such a newbie and couldn't recognized it.

Last edited:
I doubt you care, but who wants to play with someone that uses the block function in this manner? Just hop into Solo or Private Group and save yourself the shame of demonstrating your overwhelming sense of entitlement to the rest of us. Or if you must abuse the block function do so quietly.
Half the fun is collecting all the salt here in the forums, so I’ll carry on.

What of the third kind of people that are just not interested. They want to set a narrative for their journey, without the pollution of having to grind mats or coping with DnD nerds playing chaotic evil space vampires.

There's already so few content in Elite. If I want some competitive PvP I'll just launch Quake instead.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom