How to claim a star?

How much you get depends on what you scan. Most things like stars, rocky moons, iceballs, are mostly worthless, a few thousand creits at most. For the big bucks, you want the desirable planets: Earthlikes, terraformables and Ammonia Worlds are worth at least a million credits each, maybe up to 3 million, when fully scanned and mapped. You can increase your chances of finding high-quality planets by filtering out low-quality stars like M-class red dwarfs. First Discovery bonuses are also significant, if you go exploring out beyond the famous tourist routes (and yes, the Formidine Rift is a major tourist route, already well-explored).

I've just sold the data for 25 star systems, most of them with at least one Earth-like in it. Each system was worth over 1 million credits. All but a couple of them were first discoveries. Total for those 25 systems: 120 million credits. I still have another 77 pages of scan data onboard, at an average of about 20 million credits per page. (one "page" equals 50 star systems)

That's unfortunate because I had compiled a list of really cool names.
Alas, giving players the right to name planets would cause two problems:
  • Massive increase in database storage space required to hold all those planet names.
  • Requirement of hiring several more full-time staff to filter and check the submissions to ensure that profanity, copyright breaches and insulting/offensive names were not approved.

Alas, giving players the right to name planets would cause two problems:
  • Massive increase in database storage space required to hold all those planet names.
  • Requirement of hiring several more full-time staff to filter and check the submissions to ensure that profanity, copyright breaches and insulting/offensive names were not approved.
So, ah, where was this staff checking first-found-by Cmdr names ... like warning, nasty!-->"Mike Hunt-Hurtz", among two others I've already run into.

I will give kudos to one clever one however, made me chuckle (thank you); CMDR TARB URABUS (subaru brat).

Top Bottom