How to claim a star?

So I came across a system while exploring and noticed the first explorer missed two stars. I've scoured the web searching for a way to claim them all i find is using a DSS in a planet and turning in the data first, claims a planet. Yet unless my games broke, the DSS doesn't work in stars. I flew 30 minutes and even dropping into these two stars, yet nothing changed.

Do you just honk at stars and sell the data?

Thanks for the quick responses. I've made a total of 260 jumps in my maxed aspx on my way to formidine rift adjusting multiple routes as I go just to intentionally TRY discovered new bodies

One last dumb question if anyone could take a undereducated guesstimation, seeing as we have no idea what the values are prior to selling, is it a good assumption I'm sitting in a couple mil+ credits. Or am I over expectant?

The DSS only works for planets, not stars. Stars are automatically discovered once you use the discovery scanner to 'honk' the system.

Deleted member 38366

D
So I came across a system while exploring and noticed the first explorer missed two stars. I've scoured the web searching for a way to claim them all i find is using a DSS in a planet and turning in the data first, claims a planet. Yet unless my games broke, the DSS doesn't work in stars. I flew 30 minutes and even dropping into these two stars, yet nothing changed.

This is basically what happens with the FSS :
  • you enter a new System
  • within ~5sec, the integrated DSS auto-scans everything within ~20-25Ls Range, that's also the moment the arrival Star will identify even without a honk
  • you honk the Discovery Scanner or via the FSS screen
  • this enables the FSS to display all Gravity Wells and their Signal Signatures, the honk has also completed a DSS on every Star within the System
  • via FSS and correctly tuned in, every remaining Object can be zoomed in for a full DSS
  • after all Objects of interest have been Scanned (= DSS Data obtained) or "System Scan Complete" Message, the FSS can be left
  • it's now possible to physically fly to non-Star Objects to fire Probes (via DSS mapped into Firing Group) from close range to complete the Mapping process, which obtains Mapping Data, 1st Mapped by Tag (if untagged) and a very significant payout increase; separately Rings of Gas Giants can also be Mapped but carry no Exploration Data value (only useful to detect Hotspots for Mining)
  • once docked again, all Data obtained can be sold to UC and this is the moment any possible "1st Discovered by" and "1st Mapped by" Tags will be assigned

In terms of value of discoveries there is a thread on the forums somewhere (I'll try to link to it if I find it) that give you a rough average of discovery values for stars and planets.

I just handed in quite a bit exploration data, some discoveries were in the thousdands, most in the hundreds of thousands and quite a few in the millions. One system on this trip yielded over 20m, can't remember it though but it must have been good as I had mapped quite a few planets.

The terraformable planets yield the most.

Found the link:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-value-formulae.232000/

One last dumb question if anyone could take a undereducated guesstimation, seeing as we have no idea what the values are prior to selling, is it a good assumption I'm sitting in a couple mil+ credits. Or am I over expectant?

If you have done that much traveling/exploring then, yes you are sitting on millions (10's of if not more) don't crash your ship! :)

In terms of value of discoveries there is a thread on the forums somewhere (I'll try to link to it if I find it) that give you a rough average of discovery values for stars and planets.

I just handed in quite a bit exploration data, some discoveries were in the thousdands, most in the hundreds of thousands and quite a few in the millions. One system on this trip yielded over 20m, can't remember it though but it must have been good as I had mapped quite a few planets.

The terraformable planets yield the most.

Found the link:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/exploration-value-formulae.232000/

My record at the moment is 23m for one system. In my journey around the galaxy I amassed 1.7b, however these days the amount you can earn for a given number of systems is much greater than it used to be, I think the amount for getting elite explorer needs to be adjusted.

Previously we got for money for honking, then money for DSS'ing. Now we get the same money for honking, plus the money for discovering the star, we also get money for FSS'ing, and money for mapping, and if you map the entire system you get a bonus for each body in the system, so it doesn't take much to get up into the tens of millions, in fact it doesn't take much to get to hundreds of millions. So even for a short trip tens of millions is easy money.

And of course if we die we lose everything, the money, the discovery tags, the mapping tags, everything, isn't life fun. 🍻

My record prior to the new exploration changes was 19m for one system with a total of 3.7bn exploration data for a trip to Beagle point and back
(admittedly used the LYR powerplay bonus to maximize profits)
now I just explore for the fun not for profit.

4.6bn on one account (9bn in assets)
1.7Bn on the other account (starting sidewinder only)

I am 330 jumps away from the bubble, coming back from the center of the galaxy via a somewhat roundabout way. I had left Sagittarius A* before the changes to exploration and have resumed just now, so I am not entirely sure how everything works. Is it worth mapping non-landable bodies?

You used to have to manually scan stars. Now they are all automatic with the first honk. So this was a system left over from the previous mechanic. I used to get a lot of planets claimed that were over 500,000ls out because the previous explorers said "screw that". But now it's a button click.

I cashed in at (where ever it's called you get the Sirius permit) with "first discovered" 18 stars, 33 planets, "first mapped" 53 stars, 161 planets, grand total...

Top Bottom