Discussion How to get VoiceAttack to work with hotas controls?

As title. I was wondering if there was a way to get the VoiceAttack program to work with the already registered hotas buttons I have in my config, or if setting secondary button prompts with the keyboard is the only way?

It tries to automap everything in the background then you can tell it to display the missing keybinds and do those manually
it's primarily for keyboard controls anyways. Everything on an h o t a s is theoretically possible on a keyboard except the analog stuff

Just to clarify (I sense some confusion in the reply above between what VoiceAttack does and what HCS voice packs add to VoiceAttack)....

Voice Attack by itself (I'll abbreviate that to "VA" hereon) does not know anything about working with Elite Dangerous. It is just a voice automation platform. you have to tell it what to listen or watch for, and what to do when it senses that (press a key or button, say something etc...). If using VA by itself, YOU need to design the macros that do that. It's not difficult to get started, and with a little experience (and some helper programs such as EDDI, you can do really good stuff).

HCS voice pack are pre written personalities and macros for voice attack, along with additional code that helps them understand (as much as possible) what the state of the game is. I don't have much experience with them, but believe that the automapping mentioned above is a HCS Voicepack thing....

The VA developer did also write a small helper program for VA that DOES know about VA keybinds. You can find that on the VA forum ( Link to BindED ). It will read ED control binding files and make those available as variables in your VA macros - as such as long as you have a key bound to a function, BindED will make that keypress available in ED in a way that allows your macros to be ambivalent about WHAT that actual key is. For example (and assuming you have "L" assigned to landing gear, you can tell VA to press "the key assigned to Landing gear" as opposed to pressing "L" (and hoping that assignment is correct).

In ED you can set up two controls for each binding and use either to perform a particular function. I've programmed my VA manually (no voice pack) and added some secondary key binds specifically to be used by ED. For example my Galaxy map is primarily assigned to a HOTAS button combination, but I also have "Control G" assigned as the secondary control for Galaxy map, and use that in my voice command "Galaxy Map". Doing things this way allows you to change controllers or play around with controller bindings without upsetting what you have programmed onto VA.

Last edited:
Thanks @Terekhov for the detailed answer. BindED is probably what I was originally looking for, but I just ended up going and mapping secondary keyboard button to all the things I wanted VA to do in the end anyway. Got me a free voicepack too, it's pretty good, Anubis (made by a YouTuber in his free time). Modified a few of the voice commands to suit my own style and what I want to say for certain items, but mostly it was good to go right from the beginning. (after assigning secondary buttons so it could work in the first place).

Top Bottom